The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-04-2018, 02:11 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow, Joel--you have really come a long way and these both look amazing!

Really love your bridge design and headstock inlays.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing...

Thanks Nemoman...I really enjoyed designing all of the elements, and seeing how they all fit together. The headstock inlay is the main design element in my logo...

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.
0000/Auditorium, Sitka/Indonesian RW

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-04-2018, 02:20 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godfather View Post
...first two builds...AMAZING!

Are you taking orders?

Thank you for taking the time to give me feedback, Godfather. If these two perform sonically, I'd love to build guitars for other folks. But I first want to make sure that my guitars are worthy of someone's hard-earned money.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

‘93 Taylor 712 (I spent 20 years trying to convince the owner to sell me this guitar)

‘95 Taylor Limited Edition GAWS (I traded my Gibson J-200 for this guitar in ‘95)

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-04-2018, 02:40 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffStGermaine View Post
These guitars look great! All the details look very well executed. Although it's a straightforward design, I find that I particularly like your headstock on these guitars.

Thanks for the comments Geoff...
I believe that beauty can be found in calm, and in chaos. My creative brain tends to be drawn to the former.
I find that, for me, there is an elegance found within simplicity. I like to take strong, straight lines and soft graceful curves.....and allow them to dance together, instead of having either overpower the other.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-04-2018, 02:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Joel,

These looke awesome! Definitely more than "things!!"

Thanks Louie,
I'm looking forward to putting strings on these things and see if they sing.....and if they do, then I'll give them proper names [emoji23]

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-04-2018, 02:51 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
Congrats Joel, an outstanding accomplishment for your first two builds! Wow, I only wish you had not kidnapped Mr. Sheriff in the process, please let him out of solitary once in a while will you?

Hey Tom,
Steve is free to come and go as he pleases. [emoji12]
We're in the process of getting him moved into the house behind us so that he'll be closer to the shop. He's still trying to play catch up, and spends a great deal of time out in the shop. He's a machine.

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 PM

Spectacular work for a first go-around, Joel!
Congratulations on all the prep and hard work you put into this. I know it's been a long time coming and I'm sure the gratification of results like this make it worthwhile and future bright. Looking forward to the finished work and looking forward to future builds.
Edwinson EPS "iCrucified" [2011]
Edwinson Consort "Spirit" [2016]
THGCo. 000-Concert "Chi Rho" [2019]
Taylor 514e FLTD [2013]
Taylor 714e [2016]
Martin OM-21 Ambertone [2017]
Old 01-05-2018, 09:37 AM
AGF Sponsor

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaprime View Post
Spectacular work for a first go-around, Joel!
Congratulations on all the prep and hard work you put into this. I know it's been a long time coming and I'm sure the gratification of results like this make it worthwhile and future bright. Looking forward to the finished work and looking forward to future builds.
Thank you Jeff...
You must remember the thread that I started about the construction of the shop, and the amount of time that I put into creating the infrastructure for this endeavor.
As much as I questioned my sanity during the three years leading up to these first builds; the results are indeed rewarding, and make me feel somewhat "less crazy"

I've now sanded these two guitars to 400 grit, and will spray the sealer coats over the next few days...and am in the process of thicknessing/joining the top and back plates for my next two builds, which are going to be a Mahogany 000/concert and a Cocobolo 0000/auditorium. Stay tuned for a new thread soon.

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-10-2018, 09:35 PM
AGF Sponsor

Joel was sanding back the first coats of lacquer today, and he said to me, "This is just surreal..."
I got a kick out of that. He's expressing the sense of wonder that a devoted person feels when a long-held dream is actually, physically, tangibly becoming REAL. These guitars are so close! And in every single aspect, from design, to craftsmanship, to pure elegance of form and function, they show a degree of attention to detail, and the innate talent of the builder, that you almost never see except from very experienced luthiers. What a privilege it has been to be a part of this!

I've made over a hundred guitars at this point, and I've acquired a level of judgement to know beyond a shade of doubt that both of these instruments will sound and play even better than they look. I can't wait to play them! Raucous applause for Joel Teel and his Two Hands Guitars!
Old 01-11-2018, 01:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

To be truthful, these two guitars wouldn’t be this advanced without the guidance and direction of Steve Sheriff. When I was investing all the time and effort into the infrastructure of the shop, and planning for this reality...I never dreamed that I’d have the opportunity to start building under the tutelage of an established and respected luthier. I’m humbled by the fortuitous set of circumstances, and as much as I’m driven internally by the desire to build the best guitars that I’m capable of building...I’m also driven by the desire to make my teacher proud. I want Steve to feel that the time and effort that he’s invested in me is worth it.

Here are a few pictures of the progress...

Taping off everything that doesn’t get sprayed...

I sprayed a coat of Seagrave sealer before I used AquaCoat for filling the pores. I filled and sanded four times...

After sanding back the pore filler to 320 grit, we shot another coat of sealer, and then five coats of Seagrave nitrocellulose lacquer, and I wet-sanded it to 400 grit...

Thanks for following along

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-11-2018, 02:48 PM

What gorgeous instruments, Joel! And I believe Steve when he says he thinks they'll sound great. What a gift to be able to create such beauty....

beth
Old 01-12-2018, 09:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you Beth...how are you enjoying that Indonesian Rosewood guitar of yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
What gorgeous instruments, Joel! And I believe Steve when he says he thinks they'll sound great. What a gift to be able to create such beauty....

beth

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-12-2018, 05:57 PM

I am loving that Indonesian Rosewood beauty that Ken Casper built for me! Thanks for asking... That wood is so gorgeous. And Ken loves building with Adi tops and it show- it's breaking in nicely with a tone that always amazes me. Playing great guitars is such a gift! And now you're building great guitars!!!! I'm so happy to see your beautiful work and can't wait to hear how they sound.

beth
Old 01-24-2018, 10:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

The spraying is now complete on these two guitars. We shot five coats in the first session. I sanded back, did a few drop fills and then we sprayed three more coats in the second session. I again sanded back, did a few more drop fills, and then we sprayed the final three coats. I will do the final leveling, and then let them hang here for a few weeks before the final sanding and polishing sessions.....

Thanks for continuing to follow my progress...

Joel

‘17 Two Hands Guitar Co.

TWO HANDS GUITARS
Old 01-24-2018, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

These "Things" are looking really good!

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 01-24-2018, 10:33 AM
Charter Member

Very impressive work, Joel!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop