The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 04-07-2021, 04:12 PM

Smile D'ANGELICO

What's the intel on this line of jazz guitars. Are they any good? Advice, please. Thanks in advance.
Taylor 615CEL (2006)
Taylor 714CEL (2009)
Eastman MD515L
Gibson CS-336L
Fender Stratocaster (1974)
Fender Hotrod Precision Bass
Luna Ukulele
Old 04-07-2021, 06:56 PM

Kinda depends on how you define "any good," where you draw the line. They are far from junk, but nowhere near the level of the guitars hand built by John D'Angelico himself.
Old 04-07-2021, 09:18 PM

If you're looking at the 17" Excel EXL-1/Throwback comp boxes, be advised that they're all-laminated - you can get an all-solid/all-carved Eastman for similar money - and IME the MIK 5400/5600-Series Gretsch Electromatics and Newark St. Guilds are a better value-per-dollar than the D'A hollows/semis...
Old 04-07-2021, 10:36 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if the MIK D’Angelicos were made in the same factory as the Gretsches and Guilds mentioned above.

I have an Excel 175, and it’s flawless. My other electrics are all MIA (EBMM, G&L, and Gibson), and it more than holds its own with those very good guitars.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:02 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks all. I do appreciate and value your insights and information.
Taylor 615CEL (2006)
Taylor 714CEL (2009)
Eastman MD515L
Gibson CS-336L
Fender Stratocaster (1974)
Fender Hotrod Precision Bass
Luna Ukulele
Old 04-08-2021, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishermike View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if the MIK D’Angelicos were made in the same factory as the Gretsches and Guilds mentioned above...
I wouldn't be surprised either which, if that is in fact the case, makes me even more curious about the significant differences in price; to this MIK Gretsch and Guild owner - and IME they too equal or surpass far more expensive guitars in head-to-head comparison - it sounds more like "we do because we can" based solely on the no-longer-valid D'Angelico name (I've played at least a dozen New York originals over the years, as well as the now-collectable MIJ Vestax reissues from the early-2K's - no comparison) rather than any real difference in quality...
Old 04-12-2021, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

I own a an EX 63, which is an all laminate archtop with a round sound hole. I bought it used for a very good price and I think in many ways it rivals my more expensive Eastman 610. It is a heavy guitar, but it's loud and it has a very pleasing tone.
Old 04-26-2021, 01:26 PM

I have a 1999 NYL-2 and a 2000 Nyl-4, both made in the Vestax 'factory' with H Shino signature. These are beautifully made instruments and excellent value. The Korean made guitars are less responsive due to laminated tops/production methods, personally I would go for an epiphone Emperor Regent rather than the Korean D'angelico but if you can find one of the Japanese guitars which may cost you around double the price I would go for it. Interestingly, I was chewing the fat with a luthier a few years ago who used to make arch tops - he was an engineer by trade - but had been sufficiently successful to be able to spend his time between making guitars and restoring classic motor bikes. He had seriously considered manufacturing a range of arch tops in the 90's but decided that he could not match the quality of the Japanese instruments without spending so much time he would have needed to sell at around 6000 GBP.

Santa Cruz FS
Froggy Bottom H12 Deluxe all Koa
Taylor PS14
Lowden FMc 35
Hoffman Concert 12 Koa
Hoffman Concert 12 Rosewood
Ron Pinkham L-P1
Larrivee L-72
Goodall RSC
Berkowitz F6
McElroy Generation 2

+ about 50 more!
Old 04-26-2021, 02:52 PM

My only D'angelico (in name only) guitar is an indonesian DC premier. A 335 type semi-hollow. So technically it slides under the wire as a Jazz guitar .

It is "flawless" in that I didn't have to touch the setup. No obvious fit and finish issues. No issues with the electronics. Not sharp fret edges. Just a guitar you buy, bring home, and enjoy.

So while not an archtop, I hold the company in pretty high regard based on my experience, and wouldn't hesitate to give any of their models a shot.

I will say that either because of the "duncan designed pickups" and or the maple neck, this thing is very very bright! Even with pure nickel strings it's bright. Paid $375 new with gig bag from guitar center. Played 3 or 4 off the wall and this one won. It's the stop tail model not the trapeze. Sometimes I regret that when I get the hankering for a bigsby.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue View Post
My only D'Angelico (in name only) guitar is an Indonesian DC Premier. A 335 type semi-hollow...It's the stoptail model, not the trapeze. Sometimes I regret that when I get the hankering for a Bigsby.
All is not lost:

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v7-335-install.php
Old 04-27-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Thanks for that. It answered a question about one of Derek Trucks' guitars. I was wondering "why would someone of his caliber have a silly decal like that on one of his guitars?" Not a decal. It's a plug!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops