The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-14-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Martin Magnifico strings.

A short video, playing my 1964 Bjarton-built 'Espana' SL-12, strung with Martin's 'Magnifico' strings, normal tension.

I absolutely LOVE these strings. Glad I decided to try them. All three of my nylon-string guitars are now strung with them and all three sound the best they've ever sounded.

(Note: relevant to other recent discussions here, the video also shows the LaBella string blocks which I've been using as 'string beads' for about two years now.)

Old 01-14-2019, 09:03 AM

Very nice playing

You have me curious and I have questions;

What tension strings are you using?

How do they sound when played finger-style??

How do they feel under your left hand fingers?? I prefer the feel of carbons and most nylons feel "too tubby" for my personal taste.

Dave
Old 01-14-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Very nice playing

You have me curious and I have questions;

What tension strings are you using?

How do they sound when played finger-style??

How do they feel under your left hand fingers?? I prefer the feel of carbons and most nylons feel "too tubby" for my personal taste.

Dave
they sound good fingerstyle! though i dont have nails ala classical players...when i fingerpick i just use bare fingers.

the magnificos come in two tensions-- high and medium...i have the mediums....they are higher-tension than average, so the mediums are what many other makers would call 'high tension'.

they do NOT feel 'tubby', especially noticeable on the dreaded G string....i didnt like the sound of the carbons i tried, but liked their feel--these have a similar feel to carbons...like carbons, they're also skinnier, which i also like....check 'em out!

they also stretch into pitch WAY fast...faster than any nylon strings i ever used--which was another thing i didnt like about carbons--they took forever to get stretched.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:54 PM

I really like these new Martin strings too. I have the normal tension strings on my Esteso. Even the normal tension set is pretty high in tension compared to most other nylon sets.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:04 PM

Hey, Jane... loved it! I always enjoy hearing you play.

Come back to the Show & Tell when you can and let us hear some more of your music.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 PM

That is one pretty guitar!
Old 01-15-2019, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMonkeyMan View Post
That is one pretty guitar!
The 1960's nylon-string 'folk guitars' built in Sweden by Levin and Bjarton (Bjarton also had a factory in Finland) are great instruments....VERY well-made, they hold up well (the necks tend to remain straight FOREVER!)...

great alternatives for those (like me LOL) who love but can't afford Martin's older, similar-design nylon-string guitars....some German and Italian companies also made dandy 'non-spanish style' nylon stringers.

They remain VERY affordable, a 'happy accident' of market demand--classical players mostly prefer 'legit spanish style' guitars. while most folk-pop-blues-country players prefer steel-string guitars.

Aesthetically I prefer their simpler looks to the rococco-florid visual aspects of most classical guitars--no fancy rosettes, plainer headstocks etc.

I paid $50 for this guitar. Needed some repairs, but nothing major. Brought it home, got out the clamps and glue, pretty soon it sang real good.

Last edited by janepaints; 01-15-2019 at 04:54 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM

I've got Strings By Mail looking into being able to offer just Martin Magnifico Treble sets.

they sell them in almost every other brand, so I have my hopes up!!

There's nothing that can replace my use of Savarez Cantiga Basses..
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 PM

Default martin magnifico strings on a cordoba mini mahogany

here's the martin magnifico strings on the little cordoba

[
Old 01-17-2019, 10:18 PM

@janepaints: Good deal for you! I will search these out. I am not looking to buy anything but if the price is right.................

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-18-2019, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janepaints View Post
here's the martin magnifico strings on the little cordoba

[
Hi Jane

Which mini cordoba is that? I or II? I have the original I, and wouldn't mind some new strings on it. Did you put the high tension set on? How was the tension?

Music I tend to play/am learning currently: Acoustic blues and folk, Bert Jansch, John Fahey, Joseph Spence, Skip James, Gary Davis

https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 01-18-2019, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Hi Jane

Which mini cordoba is that? I or II? I have the original I, and wouldn't mind some new strings on it. Did you put the high tension set on? How was the tension?

sorry, i wasn't specific enough....the guitar is a cordoba coco mini mahogany....not the same guitar as cordoba's mini 1 or 11.....

designed to be tuned/played at standard pitch....580 mm scale....48 mm width at nut....it's now offered in three versions: 1. all mahogany 2. spruce top 3. flamed mahogany....all-laminate, great sounding/playing.... the medium tension martin magnificos are on it, they feel good....here's more of it:

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical