The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2019, 10:48 PM

It is 40w. It was said on the Bose Facebook when released
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 02-24-2019, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I have the S1, did check out the Roland BA-330. Both have a max db of 109 as rated by the manufacturer. The BA-330 uses 4 6.5" speakers and 2 tweeters, the Bose uses 1 6" speaker and 3 2.25" high excursion drivers mounted in a curved array. Realistically, both will put out decent sound, but the Roland is actually 2-15w amps, where the Bose I've seen rated at 140 or 150w (can't verify that, but it seems high to me). There is a limit to how much power the Roland can put out when being run by 8 AA batteries. I would expect the Bose to be louder than the Roland. What I heard, I prefer the sound of the Bose.

The Roland has 2 mic channels and two 1/4" channels, if you need more than one of each. The Bose has 2 channels, both can be used for mic or guitar; plus one aux channel 1/8" or bluetooth input.

Size wise, the Bose is smaller and nearly half the weight (15 pounds vs 30). Either can be used on a speaker stand, on the floor, or on a table. The Bose is designed to be used tilted back as well; the Roland has the folding legs that allow it to be tilted back. The Bose can also be used horizontal (again, built in tilt) as a monitor. Price wise, they are both in the $599 range.

My choice is the Bose S1. I also have a Bose L1C; and a battery powered Roland (Street Cube) that is pretty underwhelming. With both Bose units doing all I expect from them, I will admit my preference. I have used my S1 as a monitor when using the L1C.

Depending on the beach situation, I would think either would serve you well.
Thank you so much for the detailed, thorough response.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-24-2019, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubeG View Post
Is the S1 140watt or 40watt? 40 war was mentioned on the Bose forum when it first released.
That is why, after doing a short research on it, I said, "That seems high." Even at 40 watts, if you can make any direct comparison, it is more than the 2 15w amps on the Roland. I wasn't trying to overstate the Bose wattage, just didn't see the 40w on the Bose forum. Not unusual that Bose plays the power ratings close to the vest. Just as some manufacturers seemingly overstate.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:33 AM

I remember reading a company posted note on the Bose Facebook page that compared the Bose S1 Pro to an LED light bulb. That in both cases the useful output was far greater than the wattage would suggest.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification