The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 06-02-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Hoopla!

I'm so glad to read that you like this rendition! Thanks so much for watching and commenting!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

Glenn

I showed this to my 11 year old who is no Tom Petty fan and now he even wants to learn this acoustic version. It was an amazing version of the song and I hope that I am fortunate enough to play the guitar version this well someday. It's a goal!
Old 06-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla View Post
Glenn

I showed this to my 11 year old who is no Tom Petty fan and now he even wants to learn this acoustic version. It was an amazing version of the song and I hope that I am fortunate enough to play the guitar version this well someday. It's a goal!
Well that is very cool! Thanks so much for your feedback!

- Glenn
Old 06-04-2019, 08:58 AM

Even if I could sing I wouldn't have the guts to try that. 30 years just means you are seasoned, smooth, and appreciated. Very well done Glenn - I always enjoy your talents.

Mike

https://www.youtube.com/user/1953MrEd
Old 06-04-2019, 09:09 AM

Great stuff Glenn, and good falsetto too.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 06-04-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

One of the many great things about a great song is the variety of interpretations it leaves itself open to. It lends itself beautifully to really well conceived versions like this with a great vocal and a great finger style arrangement, with the capo set just in the right spot for the singer. And it also works pretty well for a hacker like me who more or less just strums out a rhythm and sings to the best of my very limited ability. I have a blast playing this song, and I can do it about as well as I can do anything, but bring nothing to it I'd particularly want to share with the group. It'll work around a campfire, which are about my limits anymore anyway.

But to the OP, I'm glad you did share it!

-Ray
Old 06-04-2019, 11:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrEd View Post
Even if I could sing I wouldn't have the guts to try that. 30 years just means you are seasoned, smooth, and appreciated. Very well done Glenn - I always enjoy your talents.

Mike
Thank you Mike!

Very nice of you to watch this and then take the time to comment!

My wishing I were 30 years younger so I could do a better job on singing that high falsetto bit at the end is true, but I wouldn't mind being 30 years younger for a lot of reasons. But you are right, Mike, in that another 30 years of guitar playing does provide some significant experience and seasoning.

But I don't know -- even after all these years, I have nothing on either John Mayer's playing or his singing style. He is just really good!

But thank you Mike! I appreciate your comments a great deal.

- Glenn
Old 06-04-2019, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Great stuff Glenn, and good falsetto too.
Thank you Sirwhale!

I appreciate your comments and that you watched this! The falsetto was passable, but thank you again!

- Glenn
Old 06-04-2019, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
One of the many great things about a great song is the variety of interpretations it leaves itself open to. It lends itself beautifully to really well conceived versions like this with a great vocal and a great finger style arrangement, with the capo set just in the right spot for the singer. And it also works pretty well for a hacker like me who more or less just strums out a rhythm and sings to the best of my very limited ability. I have a blast playing this song, and I can do it about as well as I can do anything, but bring nothing to it I'd particularly want to share with the group. It'll work around a campfire, which are about my limits anymore anyway.

But to the OP, I'm glad you did share it!

-Ray
Hi Ray,

I agree that a song like this is really open to a variety of interpretations, though I must say, I'm not sure that I would have been drawn to some interpretations like I was to John Mayer's approach. There is something about his musicality that really seems to grab me.

I am glad to read, Ray, that you have made something out of this old Tom Petty song in your playing! That's cool! This was really my first attempt at doing anything with this song, but I learned a lot from it.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment, Ray -- much appreciated!

- Glenn
Old 06-04-2019, 04:02 PM
Charter Member

WOW! Nice job, Glenn, on one of my favorite Tom Petty songs!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-04-2019, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
WOW! Nice job, Glenn, on one of my favorite Tom Petty songs!
Thank you SpruceTop!

I am so glad to hear from you! Thanks so much for watching and taking the time to comment! I'm very pleased that you felt this came out okay!

I hope is well for you!

- Glenn
Old 06-05-2019, 01:40 AM

The was gorgeous, Glenn! Notwithstanding the simple chord pattern a pretty daring song to choose. It fits your playing and voice like a glove. Really enjoyed it all the way through.

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 06-05-2019, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel View Post
The was gorgeous, Glenn! Notwithstanding the simple chord pattern a pretty daring song to choose. It fits your playing and voice like a glove. Really enjoyed it all the way through.
Thank you Charlie!

Your thoughts and comments are very much appreciated! Yes, the song was more challenging than I actually realized when I decided to learn this. It seems simple, but there are some techniques integral to the song that a person really has to have down well before going after this kind of song.

John Mayer makes it look easy so I was a little surprised that it took me a little longer to get a handle on this song. I'm sure if I worked on it for another month, I'd get better at it, too.

I hope all is well for you Charlie! Thanks for taking the time to comment here!

- Glenn
Old 06-05-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Hoopla!

I'm so glad to read that you like this rendition! Thanks so much for watching and commenting!

I hope all is well for you!

- Glenn

Glenn

Would you happen to know where I could find the music (not tab) to this version?
Old 06-05-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopla View Post
Glenn

Would you happen to know where I could find the music (not tab) to this version?
Hi Hoopla!

This link is to Free Fallin' at ulimate-guitar.com. This is pretty close to what I did.

I am not aware of John Mayer's version of "Free Fallin" as music notation, but I certainly could be wrong.

I had actually considered mapping out what he was actually singing, note by note, on music paper to help me remember all the subtle things he was doing with his voice. In the end, I just did sort of my own version inspired by his version. There are a lot of subtle vocal things he did that I know I did not remember to do.

It would probably be a good exercise for you and your son to map this song out on music paper. Think how much you'd both learn! (Just a thought...)

I wish I could be more helpful in addressing your question. All the best to you!

- Glenn
Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 AM
AGF Administrator

Nicely done, Glenn. I enjoyed that. A friend of mine owns an OM/PW and it's a stellar guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell