The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-21-2010, 01:08 PM

Default Schertler C-DYN

Has anyone tried this on a nylon? I'm thinking specifically for my Taylor NS64c, which gets used in both a band and duo context. How resistant are these pickups, in general, to feedback especially? Thanks!

Nick
Old 04-21-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntotoro View Post
Has anyone tried this on a nylon? I'm thinking specifically for my Taylor NS64c, which gets used in both a band and duo context. How resistant are these pickups, in general, to feedback especially? Thanks!

Nick
Nick...I'm not familiar with the C-Dyn, but I use the Schertler Dyn-G pickup through a Schertler David amp and it's a fantastic small venue set-up. My gigs are usually classical guitar solo, so feedback is not an issue.

Fred
Old 04-22-2010, 07:19 AM

Thanks, Fred! I'm primarily considering the C-Dyn because this will be the only guitar with it, so I'm not put off by a permanent installation. I was considering the K&K Pure Classic route, but had been worried about problems with feedback.

Nick
Old 04-22-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Fred! I'm primarily considering the C-Dyn because this will be the only guitar with it, so I'm not put off by a permanent installation. I was considering the K&K Pure Classic route, but had been worried about problems with feedback.

Nick
I would prefer the Schertler's dynamic pickup to the K&K's piezoelectric type but I wouldn't expect a big difference when it comes to feedback susceptibility.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I would prefer the Schertler's dynamic pickup to the K&K's piezoelectric type but I wouldn't expect a big difference when it comes to feedback susceptibility.
Gotcha', Herb. Thanks. Tonally, are they pretty well noticeable to the audience? I'm a little disappointed Taylor hasn't put together something a little better than a UST for their NS's, which is why this guitar is built with no electronics.

Nick
Old 04-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Gotcha', Herb. Thanks. Tonally, are they pretty well noticeable to the audience? I'm a little disappointed Taylor hasn't put together something a little better than a UST for their NS's, which is why this guitar is built with no electronics.

Nick
I doubt they would notice the difference but if the guitarist notices the difference, it may affect the way he plays and that, the audience would notice.

Bear in mind that it is a hunch of mine, based on some knowledge, that the pickups would not be very dissimilar when it comes to feedback resistance. It would be very interesting to test them both under controlled conditions to see if my hunch is correct. Unfortunately, controlled tests in the guitar world are a rarity.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
I doubt they would notice the difference but if the guitarist notices the difference, it may affect the way he plays and that, the audience would notice.

Bear in mind that it is a hunch of mine, based on some knowledge, that the pickups would not be very dissimilar when it comes to feedback resistance. It would be very interesting to test them both under controlled conditions to see if my hunch is correct. Unfortunately, controlled tests in the guitar world are a rarity.
What I hear does tend affect my play at times, regardless whether I admit it or am able to shrug it off...

Controlled tests of those two would be hard, especially the "controlled" aspect of it (duplicating guitars, conditions and etcetera). Maybe, Wife-willing, I could give it a shot.

Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical