The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-28-2014, 02:19 PM

Default String Rattle

I have an old Norman acoustic guitar (2002). I just changed the strings and now have the G string making a rattling noise. The noise is most noticeable with capo on the 2nd fret and playing the string open (the noise is still there with no capo but not as noticeable). I can see that the bridge pin for that string is down lower than the other pins and have always had difficulty getting this pin to set. I have tried the following, non of which has any effect:

1. Switched the bridge pin with another.
2. Installed another new G string.
3. Capoed all the way up to the 10th fret.

I also looked inside with a mirror and all of the strings seem to be set up against the wood. There is something that appears to be a pen mark coming from the G string hole. Maybe this is a crack?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Phil
Old 03-29-2014, 08:58 AM

Buzzes and such can be hard to track down, they don't always come from where you hear them either. Check for loose tuners first, that is a big producer of strange buzz. How is your truss rod? is it slack or does it have tension on it? Could be a burr on the saddle too. Those are the first three to check from my perspective without actually seeing the instrument.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:46 AM

A guy over on the Seagull forum hit the nail on the head. I checked my neck relief and discovered that with the string pressed at the 1st and 12th frets there was zero relief. In fact, I had to back off the truss rod nut a full turn (in 1/8 increments) before I could get a piece of paper to slide through at the 6th fret. At this point the rattle is completely gone. I assume that this is the result of humidity and temperature. I will keep a humidifier in the case at least until the house furnace is not coming on any more. I will also get a proper hygrometer so I can measure the humidity better.

Phil

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair