The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 12-11-2019, 03:32 PM

Default Crossover vs traditional sound quality?

Is the unplugged sound quality of a crossover typically lower, as compared to the same model with a traditional neck? I have a crossover on order and heard recently that the sound might suffer because of the thinner neck.

Anything to this rumor?

Thanks for any input you might offer.
Rb
Old 12-11-2019, 03:58 PM

Default I don’t think so.

A thinner neck is unlikely to make the guitar sound worse.

There are however considerable differences between a typical concert classical and a crossover nylon string instrument. The bracing in the latter is often a lighter version of an x-brace. That’s not necessarily a bad thing but it will make the instrument sound different. A good classical guitar should have a complex sound and the ability to produce a wide range of colours. In general crossover instruments have a less complex sound and are less responsive to the touch.

I find the less complex sound a crossover can be good for accompanying vocals or amplifiying.

If you want to play mainly classical repertoire then definitely go for a traditional instrument.
Old 12-11-2019, 08:49 PM

Thanks for your quick response, nikpearson. I appreciate your explanation of the differences in construction and how they impact the voice of the instrument.

I am new to the world of classicals, so this is a great piece of knowledge for me to store in the bank. I understand steel strings to the depth you discussed, but not classicals.

Rb
Old 12-12-2019, 09:04 AM

A recommendable crossover that does have fan bracing is the Cordoba Fusion Series Orchestra, which may be a discontinued/replaced model. It has the Cordoba classical 'sound'. I had a Breedlove Passport N200/CMP with fan bracing, and that was stern sounding, lacking any degree of delicacy, far from a classical sound.
Old 12-12-2019, 08:24 PM

Thanks Bax. I’ll need to stick with the C9 that’s coming soon. Then maybe branch out into other models if I like the crossover concept.

Rb
Old 12-19-2019, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerblair View Post
Thanks Bax. I’ll need to stick with the C9 that’s coming soon. Then maybe branch out into other models if I like the crossover concept.

Rb
All Cordobas I have played have very good volume to other crossovers I have played. My Cordoba is the louder of my crossovers. I agree the neck has little to do with tone, rather it is the body construction.
Old 12-19-2019, 10:36 AM

I am very happy with my Cordoba Fusion Rose 14. The sound is very favorable compare to my New World Player Kenny Hill 628. It is not suffering in terms of tone nor volume.
Old 12-19-2019, 11:09 AM

A passing comment. I googled around to see what bracing the Kenny Hill 628 uses, and came up empty, even on the KH site's listing.
Old 12-19-2019, 02:18 PM

The C9 crossover arrived and it’s tone is absolutely beautiful.

I have always favored mahogany in the steel string guitars I’ve had (many), and love it’s warmth in this cedar-topped Cordoba. I will use it as a folk guitar, for the most part, and it is going to work great for my needs.

The neck width, while still a wee bit wider, is very manageable even for a thumb wrapper like me. The strings do require some getting used to, but it’s coming along nicely. I think these guitars reveal flaws in technique a bit more than guitars with steel strings, but I think that discipline is good.

It’s all fun.

Rb
Old 12-25-2019, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Great!

Now you can start experimenting with different types of strings. The choices are mind boggling!
Old 12-25-2019, 12:11 PM

Any string advice, quickstep, for my intended use of this guitar?

Rb

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical