The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-03-2021, 11:10 AM

Default Considering a new tenor ukulele

I'm thinking about upgrading to a better uke, and I'm wondering how to evaluate them as far cost versus quality. I dont know what to look at, as compared to guitar shopping - wood, construction, necks, etc. I'm looking in the $300-$500 range and can't tell much difference when you go up from there.

Or maybe just go with gut instinct?
Old 10-03-2021, 11:17 AM

There are a couple of uke forums that can help. $300 - $500 will get you a fine instrument. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2021, 01:58 PM
Charter Member

The basic Pono is a wonder. It hangs with the lower end koa ukes that cost well over a grand. Hawaii Music Supply will add a K&K at a reasonable price and get it to you quickly. I have a mahogany uke, but you can get mango and acasia too. Very well made all you need, nothing you don't instruments.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-03-2021, 02:38 PM

Lots of nice uke's in that price range. I'm solid wood top kind of person so I say definitely a solid wood top.

Pono, Ohana, Koaloha Opio series---perhaps a Martin.

Go through a reputable dealer:
Mim's Uke's
HMS/the Ukulele Site
Uke Republic

I have purchased from all three and have been happy with quality of service.

The first tenor I ever played was a Martin but I ended up buying a KoAloha.
Have a couple of other tenors as well but one is a resonator and the other a Godin.
Old 10-03-2021, 03:08 PM

I have a Pono baritone uke and am very impressed with the craftsmanship and sound.
Old 10-03-2021, 05:26 PM

In that price range you can expect an all solid wood uke, that was mass produced in an Asian country likely with limited quality control of individual items. This means that by brand they are all quite similar, but individual instruments can vary. Pono has good reputation but is not widely available, and I think their tenors have truss rods and are a bit more hefty and not as lively as others may be. Another brand that's not widely available is Opio and they are a bit lighter than the Pono. Brands widely available in music stores are Kala and Ohana which can be hit and miss and they are heavy on marketing to dazzle you with nonsense specs. As with guitars best to find a store that has some of those and find one that connects with you.

Last edited by merlin666; 10-03-2021 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Or maybe just go with gut instinct?
Rather than go with your gut, seek the advice from some of the well known uke stores that can give you expert guidance. I don't know where you are located, but in the US, Mim's Ukes and Uke Republic have excellent reputations. Also there's Barry at GotAUkulele.com who gives honest reviews of many ukes. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-03-2021, 07:37 PM

Thanks for input. I know koa, but am unfamiliar with other tone woods used. I just wasn't sure if that was as important as it is in guitars. My local guitar dealer carries a lot of Kala and Amahi, a few Ohanas and a couple of old Martins. When I played several, I wasn't seeing a good correlation between sound and price. Hence my asking what to look for.
Old 10-03-2021, 09:04 PM

I just started ukulele recently, after a lifetime of playing fiddle, guitar and all mandolin family instruments.

I chose a solid koa made in Mexico Martin T1K from Mim's. Just a little over $500. I just put a set of Worth strings on and really like the improved tone, volume and sustain over both the OEM Martin strings or a set of Mangan nylon strings I tried.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:52 AM

Check out Kevin at Kelali Ukes (Kevin's Late Life Ukes). I've purchased two and I'm really happy with them. He has an all koa tenor like the one I bought for $550. These hand made and really good quality. Pretty amazing for a hand made instrument. They're beautiful.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watchman View Post
Thanks for input. I know koa, but am unfamiliar with other tone woods used. I just wasn't sure if that was as important as it is in guitars. My local guitar dealer carries a lot of Kala and Amahi, a few Ohanas and a couple of old Martins. When I played several, I wasn't seeing a good correlation between sound and price. Hence my asking what to look for.
Old (about 100 years) Martins often sound great but the vast majority are likely soprano sized and of course with their age the condition is often questionable. Finding a fair price for one is an art in itself. As for the other brands that you have available as I mentioned before these are very common and if you compare the ones in your price range and you like one of them better than others then go for it and don't look back. There is no point in second guessing if you might find one online that you might like better without playing it first. If you find the ones in store are all hohumm then try a Pono or Opio from online uke dealer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments