The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 09-27-2021, 06:59 AM

Default Anyone tried Thomastik-Infeld Classical Strings?

Has anyone tried out the Thomastik-Infeld classical guitar strings, and if so would you recommend them?

They aren't cheap. But neither are the Thomastik-Infeld Bebop Jazz strings I use on my archtop and I love those.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:24 AM

I'll be repeating this for awhile: that's a pricey string. Absolutely, I'm curious, but no, I haven't and will not be trying them - one consideration being that great strings on one guitar can be pedestrian on another.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:01 AM

I love the Plectrum series for my steel string guitar. I'm curious about these classical from Thomastik. I also notice they have John Pease Folk for fingerpicking. I'm curious about them for my steel string guitar. I do have SAS.
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Boss Katana-50 MK-2
Bose S1 Pro
Old 09-27-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

I am mostly an electric/ fingerstyle acoustic player. Of course had to buy a classical guitar, for no other reason than to say I have one. I went through several different classical strings, found I really needed high tension strings as I just could not deal with low tension strings. I got frustrated by the random string breakage, I seldom played the guitar but more often than not when I did go to pull it out I would find a broken string. I actually also realized I did not really care for the sound of a classical guitar on the pieces I was playing. I looked around and bit the bullet on a set of TI Classic S rope core strings KR116. They are FANTASTIC!!! COSTLY! but worth it. I have had the set for about 3-4 years. I never have to tune, they just never seem to drift. The sound is NOT nylon, somewhere in between steel and nylon. That being said it is a much more usable tone for what I play.
Here is a quick little thing I just recorded. Nothing added, totally dry to give you an idea of what they sound like. The guitar is a Juan Hernandez Profesor. And yes I used a thumb pick,shot me.

Last edited by al_az; 09-27-2021 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:20 PM

What al_az said.
Old 09-27-2021, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdman View Post
I love the Plectrum series for my steel string guitar. I'm curious about these classical from Thomastik. I also notice they have John Pease Folk for fingerpicking. I'm curious about them for my steel string guitar. I do have SAS.
tbirdman,
The John Pearse Fold strings by Thomastik are to make classical trebles sound more like steel strings, not the reverse - for classical guitars.

From my experience and what I read it seems Thomastik is trying to experiment with different ideas for different results, a costly process. It seems they do have various different tones and playability.

I commend them for the attempts and suggest you might pay a bit to join the experiments. I have rarely in my life wanted to do anything ordinary. You cannot be above average doing what everybody does. - Stevo
Old 09-28-2021, 05:19 AM

I have a 19th century parlor guitar that was bellied when I got it. I had steel strings on it at first which threatened to lift the bridge, then regular nylon strings and I didn't like the sound. The Thomastik classicals are perfect, exactly what I wanted. Incidentally I use Thomastick mandolin strings on my bowlback mandolin and they are perfect. The long life of the strings make them affordable. I haven't had to change strings on either instrument in over a year and they are still good.
Old 09-28-2021, 06:38 AM

I have a set of KR116 on a Rainsong 'nylon' parlor, handed it to a guy who played some gentle Blues, who then remarked that the strings were warm and clear. Something about the inner rope windings of 6 to 7 'thinner than hair' wires makes for a low tension, smooth and sweet sounding string.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical