The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-15-2021, 08:14 AM

Not going to mater much getting a tech to figure out the the neck angle if the top radius is not figured out yet.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
Can anyone here tell me if the GS Mini has a radiused top? I am preparing the braces, and I need to be sure. It appears to be flat. Thanks.
Clifford
Are the existing braces radiused? Remove the good X-brace and check for radius. Replicate it.
Old 10-15-2021, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Cross View Post
Thanks for all of the advice. I am in the waiting mode for the supplies to arrive from StewMac.

Is the Taylor relief rout just what looks like around 1/2 inch of thinning on the edge of the top? Does anyone know how deep the routing is?
Clifford
What does it measure? Replicate or use constant lesser top thickness like every other manufacturer.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:37 PM
AGF Sponsor

Here are some photos of when I rebuilt the top with a friend. If I remember correctly we did not use a radius on the top. Here are some photos along the way. I don’t have this guitar at home or I would confirm it. There is a photo of the underside of the top with the top relief routing that Taylor does on top. I remember my friend who was helping me had never done a relief rout, but it was pretty straightforward. We just had to stop it before the soundhole. The last photo is the final product. It actually sounds better amplified (K&K PWM) than any of my more expensive guitars. I used torrified Sitka spruce on the top. I think the bracing we used was also much better than on the older GS Minis. Contact me by PM if you need to ask anymore questions.

[/IMG]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair