The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-10-2019, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Losing after competing in a tough game is one thing, getting "crushed" like OSU and Wisconsin did to U of Mich, is quite another thing.

With OSU vs Clemson, and Alabama vs U of Mich.(Another "crushing" is in order here)-----the "Big Ten" is on trial against the South's best!

Fog
To be fair, Im definitely not a TTUN supporter so I’ll make that plain.
I really don’t see them competing against Alabama at all.
Even in a “down” year for ‘ Bama, the difference in talent is wide.
As far as the Buckeyes and Clemson, it all hangs on our defense. If we can slowTrevor Lawrence down, we have a shot.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-10-2019, 08:53 AM

I don't follow all this too closely but am aware of WI's consolation prize.

It's been entertaining locally. Some friends said their rose bowl shirts are getting rather worn or tattered. The subsidiary business units where I work are happy - grocery, BWL and meat markets will get a boost. BWL (beer, wine liquor) is big stuff in Wisconsin.

Locally we don't take the campus as about sports as many do when you get farther away but game days can be fun.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
I don't follow all this too closely but am aware of WI's consolation prize.

It's been entertaining locally. Some friends said their rose bowl shirts are getting rather worn or tattered. The subsidiary business units where I work are happy - grocery, BWL and meat markets will get a boost. BWL (beer, wine liquor) is big stuff in Wisconsin.

Locally we don't take the campus as about sports as many do when you get farther away but game days can be fun.

..... I have to say that as a Oregon fan I’m a bit offended by the”consolation prize” comment. You want to play in the championship series you gotta win more games. For the record. Oregon is 11-2. Finished number 6 in the country. And then of course there is the last Rose bowl meeting between the two. Consolation prize???... really??? Let’s get ready to rumble... looking forward to a great game!!!!
Old 12-10-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
..... I have to say that as a Oregon fan I’m a bit offended by the”consolation prize” comment. You want to play in the championship series you gotta win more games. For the record. Oregon is 11-2. Finished number 6 in the country. And then of course there is the last Rose bowl meeting between the two. Consolation prize???... really??? Let’s get ready to rumble... looking forward to a great game!!!!
I think you misunderstood me. Locally, there was a mindset that you had to beat Ohio to be in the rose bowl. Nothing was meant about or toward your team.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think you misunderstood me. Locally, there was a mindset that you had to beat Ohio to be in the rose bowl. Nothing was meant about or toward your team.
...not about the Ducks....it’s about the Rose Bowl and Wisconsin fans as you described them....to be whining about a trip to the Rose Bowl....no matter who you are playing.....it is an honor and should be viewed as such....it means you’re really good....I’m not sure what having to beat Ohio means with regards to a trip to the Rose Bowl...Wisconsin keeps losing to Ohio and going there...Like Wisconsin fans...Oregon fans would like their team to be good enough to compete for the national title....but like Wisconsin we are 2nd tier...for now....maybe next year right?......meanwhile let’s relish the opportunity to play in the granddaddy of them all...

.....and btw...yes there are Oregon fans who are bagging on the Ducks for falling short of a playoff appearance...to them I say the same thing...get over it...

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-10-2019 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
...not about the Ducks....it’s about the Rose Bowl and Wisconsin fans as you described them....to be whining about a trip to the Rose Bowl....no matter who you are playing.....is an honor and should be viewed as such....it means you’re really good....I’m not sure what having to beat Ohio means with regards to a trip to the Rose Bowl...Wisconsin keeps losing to Ohio and going there...Like Wisconsin fans...Oregon fans would like their team to be good enough to compete for the national title....but like Wisconsin we are 2nd tier...for now....maybe next year right?......meanwhile let’s relish the opportunity to play in the granddaddy of them all...

.....and btw...yes there are Oregon fans who are bagging on the Ducks for falling short of a playoff appearance...to them I say the same thing...get over it...
Anything I've caught was with love for the team and humor. Nothing as whiners. I'm not a regular fan but lately like it all if only because it brings a lot of people together - birds have left and right wings would be the safest hint I can think of.

I'm mostly a big fan of the public university institutions. As much as some will say elite about colleges and the sports money is crazy, I always think of them as great equalizers. For sports all sorts of people come together. For academics they facilitate people rising up whether or not they won the birth lottery.

With a child in college I'm getting a refresh on all the good that outweighs the bad.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Anything I've caught was with love for the team and humor. Nothing as whiners. I'm not a regular fan but lately like it all if only because it brings a lot of people together - birds have left and right wings would be the safest hint I can think of.

I'm mostly a big fan of the public university institutions. As much as some will say elite about colleges and the sports money is crazy, I always think of them as great equalizers. For sports all sorts of people come together. For academics they facilitate people rising up whether or not they won the birth lottery.

With a child in college I'm getting a refresh on all the good that outweighs the bad.

...it’s easy to see i have made much ado about nothing....from your original comments I thought Wisconsin fans were somehow disappointed and dissatisfied with their selection to the Rose Bowl....not the case I now realize....apologies.....

Last edited by J Patrick; 12-10-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 04:43 PM

What Bowl Games are you following?
Old 12-25-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
What Bowl Games are you following?
Buckeyes vs. Clemson then Buckeyes vs. the winner of LSU/Oklahoma
Old 12-25-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:

Nice post. Rankings aside, I greatly prefer college football to the NFL. Traditions, variety of institutions, greater risk-taking, etc. Not sure the bowl system is a net gain for the sport, or not, though.

As an Auburn alum, I have (and will) experience the highs and lows of "my team," but pretty much like it all. Attended the Stanford v. Cal game this year, partly just to take in the tradition and see if you can actually smell the money. (You can. ) Would like to attend the Army-Navy game some year, for the same reason.

Back to the playoffs: LSU beats Clemson, 33-31 in a thriller.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLRon View Post
Buckeyes vs. Clemson then Buckeyes vs. the winner of LSU/Oklahoma
I'll be rooting for the Buckeyes. Unfortunately the game doesn't start until 9pm Atlantic time and I have to get up early for a flight on Sunday.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:21 PM

Rooting for the Buckeyes, however our defense seems to be asleep during the first half of the last 4 games and our QB has a heavy restrictive knee brace and is not as mobile. Not very confident.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahorsewithnonam View Post
Rooting for the Buckeyes, however our defense seems to be asleep during the first half of the last 4 games and our QB has a heavy restrictive knee brace and is not as mobile. Not very confident.
They're going to have their work cut out for them, that's for sure. I keep telling myself that Clemson hasn't played anybody even close to Ohio State's talent level or even coaching ability. Having said that, Clemson has a way of winning big games even after playing a patsy schedule.
It's going to be an interesting game.
Go Bucks!
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top Pro
G&L Tribute Fallout
Squier 50's Classic Vibe Telecaster
Yamaha Pacifica 112J
Old 12-26-2019, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockback View Post
They're going to have their work cut out for them, that's for sure. I keep telling myself that Clemson hasn't played anybody even close to Ohio State's talent level or even coaching ability. Having said that, Clemson has a way of winning big games even after playing a patsy schedule.
It's going to be an interesting game.
Go Bucks!
A lot of Buckeye fans are a little leary. That’s ok.
I get that but c’mon man, this team is loaded with talent too.
Ryan Day and his staff will be tested and that’s good.
I’m predicting a big-scoring affair. I can’t even pretend to know who will win, but don’t short-change the Buckeyes.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 12-26-2019, 04:06 PM

Hey Roc...... In the beginning or the first half of the season I didn’t think anybody could beat the Buckeyes. But the last three games they’ve played.....the defense has been deplorable in the first half and now with our quarterback pretty much immobile I just don’t have that much confidence.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic