The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-21-2024, 06:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
No particular motive to slash prices. They're consolidating, not going out of business. Unsold inventory will be transferred to other locations (which will also address the "hardly any stock" comments).
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPlayer View Post
It's a good idea for any business to evaluate their strengths and weaknesses and adjust their business profile accordingly. I've never been in a Sam Ash, not even the one across the street from GC on Sunset but I've purchased from them on line. They could probably close half their stores and move to a warehouse operation and be even stronger. It's better to close weak stores and strengthen strong ones. Then, evaluate opening other stores in markets that might need a store. Good for them. A move like this might make it more likely that they'll be around for a long time.

There are plenty of people on these forums who talk about going to Guitar Center, Sam Ash.... to look and play instruments THEN go online and buy from Reverb, Ebay or somewhere else where they can get a cheaper price. That behavior is what causes stores to close down. If you buy where you "shop" you make it better for everyone.
Exactly. Sone stores are profitable, others either less so or unprofitable. Rent in White Plains is fairly reasonable compared to neighboring towns (Scarsdale, Rye, etc., that are affluent). The closest GC is 20 miles away (the GC in Larchmont closed some time ago). I think discounts are selective—perhaps bulkier items (e.g., digital pianos) are priced better? I got 25% off a guitar, but it was a guitar that I know had been in the shop for a while.

I suspect that the internet side of the business is doing fine, which is part of the incentive to close underperforming stores. The store that lowrider mentioned in the OP—The Music Zoo—has a gorgeous showroom that opened just before the pandemic, and has been closed since (except for the upcoming reopening on Saturdays). Their internet business has basically been carrying them, so there was no need to reopen the showroom. It will really be a Zoo on Saturdays…
Old 03-22-2024, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

I think Music Zoo must have to open the showroom to keep their Martin Authentic Expert status. I think they learned during Covid that they didn't need it and most of their sales were internet, out of state. If I'm around on the 6th, I'll swing by just to see what it's like over there.

Sam Ash only giving 10% on stuff that they are going to have to pack up and move shows exactly what has been wrong with therm. They haven't realized what's been going on with internet pricing for a long time. When I asked, years ago, what it would take to get 20% off of a Martin, the salesman said ''Are you crazy, I don't even get 20%'', but I could get that easily online. MZ, at the time told me that they would match any legitimate online price, but I'd have to pay the tax. I thought that was fair and I was trying to decide which Martin dread I wanted when Covid hit. I'm glad they'll be opening the showroom again, maybe I'll find something I like!
Old 03-22-2024, 01:54 PM

Late last year I bought a used Strat from Sam Ash online. They offered free shipping and a generous return policy. Much better than many Reverb dealers. As it turned out I ended up returning the guitar because there was no more adjustment available in the truss rod -- it was at its max.

It was nice to be able to return the guitar with no questions asked. I had a day off so I drove to the nearest location which was in suburban Cleveland. I didn't have to deal with packing and shipping and the charge was returned to my card immediately. That was worth paying a little bit of a premium. Same with Guitar Center.

I guess if you're looking for the very lowest price possible then shop online but if I'm buying an item without a warranty then I want to be able to return it. Preferably to a store.

FWIW, the Cleveland store seemed to be pretty well stocked with new and used items and adequately staffed. I hope they made the cut.
Fender EJ Strat

Last edited by joeappel; 03-23-2024 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:16 AM

The Atlanta store is closing. It does not surprise me as there is a ton of "brick and mortar" competition. There are 5 or 6 GCs in the metro area, and a good number of independent shops as well. There was certainly nothing wrong the the Atlanta location, but post covid they didn't offer anything that GC or the others didn't. Pre-covid they did have a series of jam nights that were kind of hit or miss to me, but I was not a regular.
Old 03-23-2024, 05:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egordon99 View Post
Yep, big news here as the one in King of Prussia is closing. Purchased many guitars over the years and I had a close relationship with the acoustic salespeople.

I went on Saturday, and it was very slim pickings and they were only offering 10% off.

They did have a great D-41 though.

The one from my childhood in Edison, NJ is also closing.
I went to the Cherry Hill Store, last week. I didn't see any indication of closing, but I did not ask. GC has a store on the same strip, so I suspect that this store will close, also. One Sam Ash store, within an hour driving distance, would help when I'm shopping for gear.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_russell View Post
I went to the Cherry Hill Store, last week. I didn't see any indication of closing, but I did not ask. GC has a store on the same strip, so I suspect that this store will close, also. One Sam Ash store, within an hour driving distance, would help when I'm shopping for gear.
I thought Cherry Hill would be closing but it's staying open. Edison, King of Prussia and Franklin Mills are all closing.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-23-2024, 06:58 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
I thought Cherry Hill would be closing but it's staying open. Edison, King of Prussia and Franklin Mills are all closing.
Yep, that's my understanding as well. Guess I won't be bumping into you anymore at KoP.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from Brooklyn View Post
Cherry Hill is my closest Sam Ash. Hard to believe KoP and Edison are closing and Cherry Hill is staying open. They rarely have much in the way of inventory anymore, and their is a Guitar Center in the same strip mall that is much better stocked.

I have purchased several guitars from Sam Ash over the years and have generally preferred them to Guitar Center. Sad state of affairs overall in the Music Retail business right now.
| 1968 Martin D-28 | 1949 Gibson J-45 | 1955 Gibson LG-2 | Santa Cruz 000 Cocobolo / Italian Spruce | Martin D-18 1939 Authentic Aged | Martin Gruhn Guitars Custom D-21 Adi/Madi | Gibson J-45 | Fender American Elite Telecaster | Fender American Standard Stratocaster | Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson Les Paul Studio | PRS Custom 24 10-Top | Gibson Les Paul 1960 Reissue (R0) |
Old 03-23-2024, 07:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Yeah that news broke some time ago. I've never even seen a Sam Ash store.
Me neither. I knew there was a Sam Ash store somewhere, but I thought it was mostly online sales, like Elderly. I didn't realize there was a chain of them.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 03-23-2024, 07:18 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post
Cherry Hill is my closest Sam Ash. Hard to believe KoP and Edison are closing and Cherry Hill is staying open. They rarely have much in the way of inventory anymore, and their is a Guitar Center in the same strip mall that is much better stocked.

I have purchased several guitars from Sam Ash over the years and have generally preferred them to Guitar Center. Sad state of affairs overall in the Music Retail business right now.
Yeah, strange that KoP is closing since KoP is a fairly big "destination" because of our huge mall.

Now my choices are head down to GC in Plymouth Meeting (about 25 minutes away) or we have a fairly small (but decent) store called George's Music about 10 minutes away. And I think West Chester has some stores.

Oh, my best bet now would be to drive down 202 to the GC in Wilmington to save on taxes.

I'm not in the market for anything at the moment but I think honestly at this point, I would just do the online thing considering the local music store situation and I'm experienced enough to trust videos/etc... I'm turning 50 soon-ish (yikes!) so I'll probably be in the market for something to celebrate then.

I'd hate to be a new player in this scene right now.
Old 03-23-2024, 07:58 AM

They are mainly a northeastern store. Here's a short informative read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Ash_Music
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-23-2024, 09:04 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boozehound View Post

On trips down to Philadelphia, I’ve been to that Cherry Hill store, and the nearby GC, and they are both pretty meager. What they have in common is that they aren’t in a really expensive mall, so I would expect the rent to be more reasonable. Is the KoP Sam Ash in the KoP Mall, or just in the town?

I wonder if Sam Ash owns the real estate for the shops they are keeping open? Much easier to control one’s rent that way… Also, perhaps the inventory in the Cherry Hill store will improve once they transfer inventory from neighboring stores.

It makes sense that people who are not from the NYC area (or who never visited Music Row on 48th St. in its hey-day) aren’t familiar with Sam Ash, but the company has been around for a century, and thir 48th St. store (which was in multiple buildings) had to be one of the largest music stores ever—it covered a third of a city block. Not a great way to celebrate one’s 100th anniversary, but if closing stores makes them more competitive and keep the (figurative) doors open, it’s the right move.
Old 03-23-2024, 09:15 AM

The KoP store is a couple of miles down the road from the mall
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 03-23-2024, 09:24 AM

I feel now that folks have largely embraced the idea of buying guitars online there's going to be a huge reorganization of instrument stores and a lot of places that sell new guitars will be shutting down. It's just not possible for them to compete.

There will be music instrument stores, of course, but I imagine they'll have to specialize, and one way that they'll specialize is by primarily focusing on used instruments, which big online retailers have a harder time doing.

Personally, I haven't bought a guitar from an actual store in I can't remember when. I've bought twenty or thirty online in the last decade.

It's just a different world now.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarDogs62 View Post
Cherry Hill Location will remain open. Edison NJ is closing.
Sorry to hear that since they're the closest to me in terms of mileage, and the Brooklyn store (which in a more perfect world should ideally be their flagship location) has been on a slow but steady downward spiral for the last 25 years...

Heluva way to celebrate their centennial...

Last edited by Steve DeRosa; 03-27-2024 at 06:37 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion