The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 03-13-2014, 01:24 PM

i'm in. i seem to endlessly work on the same tunes, but maybe i'll switch over and play something else. i think i'll (re)learn an old bandora fantasia by anthony holborne (1545-1602). i have the lute tab for it, and you tune the g string to an f# to emulate renaissance lute tuning. a capo can also be used on the 3rd (or other) fret. i learned this very pretty piece many, many years ago, but haven't played it for a very long time. but i was recently thinking about it. it's fairly short and fairly easy, but not too short nor too easy.

step 1 will be for me to dig out the music (lute tab - already found) and slowly work through it and create some left hand fingerings. i like plenty of guide fingers and like to avoid having my fretting fingers jump strings quickly. also, renaissance lute playing relies much more heavily on the plucking thumb. often scales and runs are played by alternating the thumb and index finger. i actually have 2 different lute tablatures of this piece, and one of them has the right hand thumb notated, which is pretty common with lute tab. so i may try and follow that, which will be new for me.

i plan to learn it little by little in sections, then string them together.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:31 PM

I've made good initial progress on Hey Jude. Basically have the chord progressions down, and most of the melody notes. Now, just need it at pace and while singing--I suppose that could take a lot of practice to polish.

Hate to admit, but it's making me learn for the first time to do a very quick slide and pull-off, so that's good. Also, good that I added a D/F# to my list last year, since there's one in there. I also had been working on melody notes in the key of G, so that came surprisingly quickly, as well as the very common (as I'm learning) C to Am walkdown to G to D/F#.

It's all good.
Old 03-13-2014, 05:55 PM

Still working on the intro solo to Amie. I can hit all the notes and I "mostly" remember them. Just have to get quicker....
Old 03-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Guest 33123

Day 2: I had some time on my hands last night so I spend a while on the song. I've got the first 4 bars together pretty quickly and played them without a mistake. It's kind of tough since the first two bars are dead thumb bass on the C chord and then the G7 and then it switches to alternating thumb on the C and then the G7 for the next two bars. Hard to convince my brain not to just do one or the other but was my first time even trying to play it so it's all good.
Old 03-14-2014, 03:14 PM

I'll join in, but it takes me a very long time to learn a new song, so it may not be done by the time everyone else is finished... In which case I'll post what I'm just finishing up now (a simple version of Scarborough Fair)
Old 03-14-2014, 04:18 PM

I love these threads. I'm currently learning Going to California by Led Zepplin and Ants Marching and Trippin Billies by Dave Matthews.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:51 PM

day 2: i decided to create my own version in sibelius so that i could add my own fingerings, as well as share it if anyone is interested. i'm rather obsessive about stuff like that. i entered the notes (in lute tab) last night.

today i went through and did most of the left hand fingerings. i find figuring out the fingerings to be most enjoyable. sort of like a puzzle, going through section by section and finding the most efficient and pleasing fingerings. i don't know why, but i really like doing that. i had some fingerings from when i used to play the tune about 25 years ago, and it was interesting how i changed a few of them. i was surprised how well i fingered material way back then.

i couldn't figure out how to add right hand lute tab fingerings with sibelius. i searched the manual, the internet, their support site, and their forum. no luck. i get frustrated getting bogged down in stuff like that. eventually i moved on, but wished i could sort it out.

i also spent quite a bit of time on line looking for an original facsimile. there is a ton of lute tablature available online, often digitized manuscripts of the original. i was able to find reference to 3 or so old manuscripts that contain this piece, but not the originals. there are facsimile copies available to purchase, but I don't think i'll do that. i could find guitar sheet music and lute tab for the piece, but I already have that.

i also dug out a couple of lute tutors that i have. i mentioned in my previous post that with renaissance lute pieces the thumb is very busy, and is often alternated with the index finger for scale passages. as i learned today, the thumb also plays on the strong beat, and the index plays on the weaker beat. this is much different from classical guitar technique, where typically the string dictates which finger is used: thumb on the lower strings. so with renaissance lute technique, the thumb plays on the strong beat, which just as often as not is on a high string, and passages where the thumb plays on the high e string, followed by the index plucking on the b string, are common.

i also decided to use a learning technique i read about years ago (from i can't remember who), where you learn the end of the tune first, then work backwards. that way, instead of moving from better practiced/known material to lesser practiced/known material, it is the opposite: as you play along the piece gets more and more familiar.

thus ends today's post.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:19 PM

Day 1: I'm a beginner so it'll take me longer then 14 days. I've started the Toby Walker lesson for Spike Driver Blues. I've managed to get through the entire thing...very slowly.
Old 03-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Hi ginger girl. Nice to see another woman here- welcome! ( no offence j-Doug but sometimes it seems like it's all guys!)
Old 03-15-2014, 09:12 AM
Guest 33123

Day 2: I'm probably slower than most but I've worked out the first eight bars so far. I can play thorough the first 4 bars non-stop but after that it gets kind of herkey jerky. It's a bit of slog but fun because I really like the tune. My wife is excited too. Such a nice song you can sing along to.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:03 AM

Thanks creamburmese. We are certainly outnumbered in AGF but that's ok. Great group of guys and gals here.
Old 03-15-2014, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

I started working on the Mike Taylor portion of Late Winter Early Spring last night. I tried to learn it thirty years ago or so. This was a surprising refresher.

First of all, John Denver's rhythm chord progression changes in the middle of the song. I thought it remained steady throughout. I am going to have to re-learn the basic.

Secondly, I am going to have to have renewed focus on paying attention to the count just to even get started. The intro harmonics in weird intervals. Just the first six are

1&2&3&4&|1&2&3&4&|1uh&2
=====h=h-h=====-h|hh

Back to the practice stool tonight!

CK
Tab link to project - http://www.petehuttlinger.com/pdf/Late_Winter_Score.pdf

Last edited by Cypress Knee; 03-16-2014 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:25 PM

day 3: after getting the music all together, i started working backwards from the end to the beginning. which doesn't mean playing it backwards, but rather working on the last 9 bars (this piece, very old, 45 bars long, has odd sections that don't fit into the typical 2/4/8 bar groupings).

i very quickly discovered that i would not be able to use my thumb the way lutenists do, playing on the strong beat. this also requires a technique known as "thumb under", where the thumb is closer to the bridge than the index finger (opposite to classical guitar). this would require a complete change in technique, and probably take months. so i decided to use my normal technique.

i was impressed by the simplicity and beauty of the last 9 bars. there is a bit of polyphony going on, and the tune is understated. i have no idea what the composer thought way back in the 16th century, or how the tune was intended to be played, however i could sense a grace and terseness that was most pleasing.

i ran through the last 9 bars maybe 40 times, although there were one or two spots where i often wanted to finger it wrong, so i need to be careful of those. funny how those things will haunt you for a long time. i still need to look at the tab for a few its of the last 9 bars.

overall i'm looking forward to learning this pretty, ancient, simple piece. it is full of suspended chords, which i think may be the most pleasing sounds in music (when they resolve).
Old 03-15-2014, 08:29 PM

Well, I think I finally got my rendition of "Roar" stage-ready. That's an accomplishment, I think.

Now, my next project will be to learn Roger McGuinn's version of "Haul Away Joe." It's an old sea shanty, and the Axe Wounds (the band I play guitar for) already do an a-capella version of this, it would be nice to have a version to play for myself. It's a great sing-along due to the repetitiveness.

Here's the song for those curious:

Last edited by piper_guitarist; 03-15-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper_guitarist View Post
Well, I think I finally got my rendition of "Roar" stage-ready. That's an accomplishment, I think.

Now, my next project will be to learn Roger McGuinn's version of "Haul Away Joe." It's an old sea shanty, and the Axe Wounds (the band I play guitar for) already do an a-capella version of this, it would be nice to have a version to play for myself. It's a great sing-along due to the repetitiveness.
can you put up your version of "roar"? i'd like to hear it. i liked "haul away, joe", as well, btw.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write