The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-11-2010, 06:32 AM

Default Baritone Guitars

Hello,

I own a couple of Alberto Bonafini (http://www.albertobonafini.com/acustica_8_corde.htm) guitars, and I know he also makes a baritone guitar (he might have one already made at the shop I think)
I am not sure whether this is the one, but I am sure he does make them. Overall I am very satisfied with his instruments (I own the parlor and the walnut cutaway), and his prices are quite quite reasonable, actually I want to say competitive. Unfortunately the dude is in Italy, but could be a good excuse for a vacation.... :-)

Martin D15M
Martin OM28V
Old 05-16-2010, 12:48 AM

I have a beautiful baritone made by Chris Larkin here in Ireland; he'll make anything you want and is a great person to deal with. It sounds like you're sorted but the weak euro might influence you! If you come visiting Chris let me know and I'll get my baritone to you for a try. http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/ it's in the instrument gallery. Ross
Old 06-19-2010, 04:13 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions. Plenty to check out - the real dilemma is choosing which one!
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists
Old 06-19-2010, 12:07 PM

Hmm Surrey is only 40 minutes from me as I'm on top of the M25.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 AM

How about :

Nigel Foster: http://guitarbench.com/index.php/200...terview-video/

or

Adrian Lucas: http://guitarbench.com/index.php/200...interview-mp3/
Old 03-22-2011, 03:35 AM

In case you're still searching, you may want to get in touch with Hugo Valcke in Belgium and Armin Dreier in Germany.
In case you've found what you were looking for, some information on the lucky winner (and maybe a few pics) would be appreciated
Old 03-28-2011, 11:03 AM

Thanks for all the replies.

Somewhat spontaneously - and perhaps against my better judgment! - I've just put a deposit on a s/h Lowden baritone. It doesn't really tick any of the boxes - no cutaway, no fan frets, no soundport, no bevel or Manzer wedge and - most crucially - it's 45 nut / 55mm bridge spacing rather than my preferred 46/47 and 60-63mm. I'm not sure there was a lot of logic to this rather spontaneous decision other than that it should tide me over and help me work out whether I can really justify stretching the extra £££ for a custom instrument (probably another £500-1500 beyond the price of a s/h Lowden for what I'm after). And I hope the Lowden should hold its value reasonably well if I choose to sell it. Whereas a custom baritone with my prefers specs will probably have a very limited s/h market. Also I should be able to sell my Lowden S-7 (rather relucantly - it seems to have something rather magic about it ... but I'll need to pay for the Lowden Baritone somehow) .

I should be getting the guitar in the next couple of weeks - will let you know how I get on with it...

Best,

Dan
Kostal MDC German/claro and OM Euro/Madrose
Larrivee L-05MT
Lowden O35cx cedar/EIR, New Lady, Baritone, O12 and O12-12
McIlroy A25c custom Cedar/Kew black walnut
Montgomery fan fret parlour Euro/ebony
Sands Baritone Swiss/Ovangkol (another due 2022)
Wingert Model E German/Braz
Yairi 1960s Soloists

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop