The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-06-2023, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
One of the singer-songwriters I like to listen to is name Warren Malone. There's a YouTube video of him doing Elvis's "Burning Love". It's one of those covers that, after hearing it, I don't particularly want to hear the original any more!

thanks man...that's great
Takamine F349, Takamine g340, Yamaha LL6M
'78 Fender Strat
Univox Ultra elec12string
Lute 13 strings
Gibson Les Paul Triumph Bass
Piano, Keyboards, Controllers, Marimba, Dusty Strings harp
Old 11-06-2023, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
Agree. And it's a curse. Sorta like songwriting. LOL.

The best place for me would be at house parties, I think. But few are set up for opening acts, and only the BEST are really getting to do these.

I didn't start songwriting until age 55 (four years ago) . . . I've got a lot of catching up to do.

The upside is that I've apparently learned a LOT of the craft just by listening to the masters do it. Part of my "curse" is that my friends have told me that they see "potential" in me. Great . . . so that makes it even harder for me just to "give up".
the best place any songwriter should be is online in some form...at least until the comet strikes. good luck
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 11-06-2023, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurth View Post
the best place any songwriter should be is online in some form...at least until the comet strikes. good luck
Well, I am definitely there.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9-...3Cca2rpKY62jAw

https://davidpennybaker.hearnow.com/

Or for those who prefer raw worktapes:

https://soundcloud.com/user-992023176
Old 11-06-2023, 08:19 PM

Quote:
David...you should put your soundcloud in your signature. I listened to Eastland. You're a good vocalist. You're a good lyricist, which is 50%. I'd like a little less traditional chord structure....something that is as original as the lyrics. The other 1/2 is composition, which can be a xxx, but is the most entertaining. Sounds good. thanks for sharing.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 11-06-2023, 10:38 PM

Quote:
You're a good vocalist. You're a good lyricist, which is 50%.
Thanks!

Quote:
I'd like a little less traditional chord structure....something that is as original as the lyrics.
I'm pretty much a 1/4/5/6m/2m kinda guy, but I am working on trying to get a bit more creative in places.

You might like this one a bit better in that regard. One line in the chorus, and also the bridge.

Old 11-07-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Thanks!

I'm pretty much a 1/4/5/6m/2m kinda guy, but I am working on trying to get a bit more creative in places.

You might like this one a bit better in that regard. One line in the chorus, and also the bridge.

David....first point of songwriting is to enjoy it. And the second point of songwriting is to enjoy it. To get your songs listened to by the world at large is a mystery. I'd say it's about saying something people want ....or need to hear. Then it's about luck. Someday soon it might not even be about luck...a compu might be deciding for us. So congratulations you're still willing to put your 'made by humans" stamp on what you create. Never give up. And there's no better instrument for that than the acoustic guitar. Gettin' famous ...that's another deal entirely....and it might be just something to avoid at all costs. That's a rollercoaster with lots of people flying off and it's going nowhere. One thing I've noticed is in most cases the music is better at first, and then after notoriety , decline begins. In many cases it's a race to the bottom. So you might be able to do your best writing now. Good Luck !
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 11-08-2023, 07:03 PM

Quote:
David....first point of songwriting is to enjoy it. And the second point of songwriting is to enjoy it.
Exactly.

Quote:
To get your songs listened to by the world at large is a mystery. I'd say it's about saying something people want ....or need to hear. Then it's about luck.
It takes talent, hard work . . . and some luck. But the luck won't find you without the first two, that's for sure.

Quote:
Gettin' famous ...that's another deal entirely....and it might be just something to avoid at all costs. That's a rollercoaster with lots of people flying off and it's going nowhere.
Success has ruined a lot of people, I'm afraid.

Not sure if you've heard my story before or not. The short version is that a local songwriter friend of mine died very tragically four years ago. I wrote a song to her to let her know how that made me feel. Now I've written 31 songs, released two albums, and am working on a third.

If somebody only listens to ONE song of mine, I want it to be the one I wrote to Kylie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u2SxSkTud0

Old 11-11-2023, 11:08 AM

Anyway, about doing covers….
If I did not do any COVERS I can think of many thousands of dollars of equipment I would never have bought. And the music stores would not have sold me and the manufacturers would not have needed to make….
Think about that one…..
And there would be no AGF to post to….
Old 11-12-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
The singer/songwriters I know and listen to, do both. The covers they do, generally have their own spin on them. I seldom hear anyone who does only their own stuff, once in a while, but not much. A band that I listened to recently had a bluegrassed version of "Help", by the Beatles. It was fun.
Yay!

I do a bluegrass version of "Tomorrow Never Knows".

Turn off your mind, relax and float downstream
It ain't dyin', it ain't dyin'

Last edited by Shaky Osmond; 11-12-2023 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Added a line
Old 11-12-2023, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

It takes talent, hard work . . . and some luck. But the luck won't find you without the first two, that's for sure.

Success has ruined a lot of people, I'm afraid.

Not sure if you've heard my story before or not. The short version is that a local songwriter friend of mine died very tragically four years ago. I wrote a song to her to let her know how that made me feel. Now I've written 31 songs, released two albums, and am working on a third.

If somebody only listens to ONE song of mine, I want it to be the one I wrote to Kylie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u2SxSkTud0

nice. David one trick I've learned is writing in 3rd person. I think stories are more universally related to that way.
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 11-12-2023, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Anyway, about doing covers….
If I did not do any COVERS I can think of many thousands of dollars of equipment I would never have bought. And the music stores would not have sold me and the manufacturers would not have needed to make….
Think about that one…..
And there would be no AGF to post to….
JJ....your first reasons supports my hypothesis ...that playing covers is why most people go to listen ....but, just curious why there wouldn't be a AGF if you didn't play covers ?
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings
Old 11-12-2023, 05:41 PM

Quote:
nice. David one trick I've learned is writing in 3rd person. I think stories are more universally related to that way.
Mine almost always end up being in first person. I feel that I can make it more emotional that way.

I know I've done one in third person. It might be the only one.

It's the first song I ever wrote part of (the chorus and the bridge) while driving. We had just buried my mom, and I was at the guitar store recounting all the stuff I'd been trying to do to get her into a memory care / nursing home type place when she died. To which I said, "that's OK . . . it gave me the illusion of control". The salesman and I realized at the same time that this was a song idea. I wrote the first pass of the bridge and chorus driving back home.

Ironically, my mom is nowhere to be found in the song itself. The woman in the first verse was actually inspired by my friend who died (Kylie). Actually, the daughter in the second verse is also inspired by Kylie. She's made it into a lot of my songs along the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hMiE_t8G7s

Old 11-14-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
JJ....your first reasons supports my hypothesis ...that playing covers is why most people go to listen ....but, just curious why there wouldn't be a AGF if you didn't play covers ?
I think that many of us do not write our own music. I do not know how many here only play their originals, but I am thinking there are not enough to support this site.

Let me draw a parallel…..motor racing (ex motorcycle guy here). 20 people enter but there can only be one winner. At some point the slower riders get in the way, so we eliminate the slower riders (for safety perhaps) until we get to the point that the whole event is an exhibition of the single fastest rider. Did you want to see the single (and very skilled) “winner”, or were you interested in seeing the race? What do you think of the 19 LOSERS that really made it a race? There would be no motorcycle race without ALL of us………

Creating originals is quite the accomplishment, but does it represent ALL of the music scene? Music is for ALL of us that want to enjoy it. Without ALL of us there would be a great deal less music……in all respects.

That’s what I think, anyway….
Old 11-15-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
I think that many of us do not write our own music. I do not know how many here only play their originals, but I am thinking there are not enough to support this site.

Let me draw a parallel…..motor racing (ex motorcycle guy here). 20 people enter but there can only be one winner. At some point the slower riders get in the way, so we eliminate the slower riders (for safety perhaps) until we get to the point that the whole event is an exhibition of the single fastest rider. Did you want to see the single (and very skilled) “winner”, or were you interested in seeing the race? What do you think of the 19 LOSERS that really made it a race? There would be no motorcycle race without ALL of us………

Creating originals is quite the accomplishment, but does it represent ALL of the music scene? Music is for ALL of us that want to enjoy it. Without ALL of us there would be a great deal less music……in all respects.

That’s what I think, anyway….
ok....I have no disagreement. People in general want to have a sharing experience. I just asked because it sounded like there was a more personal connection thanks
'78 Fender Strat
Lute 13 strings

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write