The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 05:38 AM

Default 40 Series: Sure they have bling but do they sound better?

I haven’t played any 40s yet but will soon. Looking at the specs, the 41s and 42s seem VERY similar in construction to a Standard HD-28 for example. Same woods, same bracing. What is it in the 40s construction that makes them sound better?

Last edited by Acousticado; 07-17-2019 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Edited; Removed prohibited topic
Old 07-17-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

It's the higher number! Of course I'm kidding. Not sure what the magic is but there is a difference between a standard stock 2018 HD-28 and a 2018 D-41/42 even though the specs look almost identical other than aesthetics.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:08 AM

Two things. The question that's important is whether - they sound better to you. If not walk away. But, to answer the question, they sound sublime. There are numerous threads about the 40's herein. If you do a search you will find many, many descriptions and reviews on them.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:22 AM

Reno's music in Fishers has a couple of 42's in stock - or at least their website shows that they do. Have you been over there to play them?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:24 AM
Charter Member

Other people are entitled to their opinions but I hear a distinct difference in Martin style 40s that I don’t hear elsewhere... they have more chime and shimmer through the mids and highs, and I don’t buy that it’s solely explained by the higher grade of woods used (remember Martin wood grades are based on looks solely, and they don’t tap tune).

Maybe it’s the extra routing channels for the abalone trim that gets more of the top moving, who knows? But anyone who is even average detail oriented will pick up on their tonal difference easily.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-17-2019, 07:25 AM

My Custom D-42 is still the best thing that I have ever played. (To me)
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Other people are entitled to their opinions but I hear a distinct difference in Martin style 40s that I don’t hear elsewhere... they have more chime and shimmer through the mids and highs, and I don’t buy that it’s solely explained by the higher grade of woods used (remember Martin wood grades are based on looks solely, and they don’t tap tune).

Maybe it’s the extra routing channels for the abalone trim that gets more of the top moving, who knows? But anyone who is even average detail oriented will pick up on their tonal difference easily.
I agree...before they changed them...I loved the 42's more...and I like the snowflakes...actually the 40's are one of the things I don't like about Martin....the 40's don't sound better because they are sinker this or Adi that or cooked here and there....but they are better...they have a perfect bass and a top end shimmer that is wonderful...so why don't Martin make all their guitars that way!!!!????....I'd love to have a 42!!!!
Old 07-17-2019, 07:36 AM

"Better" is up to the player and/or listener. I will say that I had a spectacular Martin D-28A 1939 Authentic which was everything most people dream of owning. I found and played a D-41 Custom (Mandolin Brothers Turbo custom) that I bought on the spot and sold the Authentic. It's the second D-41 I've owned and I've not found one that disappoints. I don't see ever considering selling this music machine.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:43 AM

“They” don’t “sound better” because “they” don’t all sound the same. It’s an individual matter from guitar to guitar.

I once made a straight up trade of my D-41 (with damage from a powered string winder), for a brand new D-28HD. The 28 sounded far better and I’m a tone guy.

My friend has a 41 and his ‘65 D-28 sounds so much better he rarely plays the 41, so these things are individual and can’t be generalized as is so often attempted with no possible resolution.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-17-2019, 07:59 AM

My 41 sounded so much better than the HD-28’s at the shop, my wife who had he back to me, could pick out the 41 every time I switched and Said there was no comparison. The 28’s were fantastic, but the tone on my 41 is special.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 07-17-2019, 09:11 AM

Based on some comments from the Custom Shop as relayed from a dealer who frequently interacts with the Custom Shop, I suspect they do their own form of tone tapping when they hand carve braces. I bet the 40 series guitars get this treatment as well.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
Based on some comments from the Custom Shop as relayed from a dealer who frequently interacts with the Custom Shop, I suspect they do their own form of tone tapping when they hand carve braces. I bet the 40 series guitars get this treatment as well.
Don't believe that's correct. Style 40+ is made on the regular production line.

Martin does not hand voice their tops at all.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4100 shipped
Old 07-17-2019, 09:19 AM

I think the answer is "sometimes." Some of the 40 series I have played have been amazing because of the woods, the routing for the abalone, or extra TLC they receive from their builders. Others have been no better than a standard guitar.
Old 07-17-2019, 09:28 AM

I've played a friend's Custom Shop D-42 a number of times in house concerts, and it blows me away, both in terms of tone and projection. I haven't played a D-28 that ever came close. (That said, I haven't yet played a D-28 Modern Deluxe.)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I owned a D-28, HD-28 and D-41 at the same time for several years. I thought they were very nice guitars, but I did find them to be similar. The D-28 was the first one I sold because I preferred the HD-28 & D-41. Eventually I found these 2 to be so similar, that I sold the HD-28. I thought the D-41 was the better instrument. I sold the D-41 a couple of years ago, but I do think it had something special.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion