The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: What do you do with your original parts after an upgrade???
I sell my original parts to help offset the upgrade costs... 4 7.55%
I generally keep the original parts to include with the guitar should I ever sell... 49 92.45%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
Not every mod turns out to be an upgrade... There's a lot of hype in the replacement pickup/tuner market.

Yep...I’ve never messed with pickups/tuners. My “upgrades” have been more modest - pins, saddles, TR covers and tuner buttons...

Old 07-16-2019, 03:14 PM

International Man of Mystery Mycroft wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Unless it is vintage I'll try and flog tuners, less to offset costs than to keep from having a box of old parts rattling around. If the instrument is vintage I'll keep the original parts.

Selling an old saddle? Good luck with that one.
Same here. I wish there had been a poll option that read: "It depends," but it really does depend. But since most of the instruments that come my way are contemporary and not vintage, the majority of the people who will buy those instruments should I decide to resell them literally do not care whether the tuners are original or if not, I don't worry about it.

Those of us who post on guitar forums like this one tend to be very detail-oriented when it comes to guitars, and downright passionate about it. But we're a tiny minority compared to most guitar owners. Most potential buyers don't care if the used guitar they're buying has the original tuners, they just want to be sure that it'll stay in tune.

Since every guitar that comes my way tends to stay in tune better than when I first got it, (tuner accuracy being a particular focus of mine,) I've never had a complaint or anyone saying: "Hey, you swapped out the stock Grover Rotomatics for Gotohs on this guitar!"

As I pointed out earlier in this post, out in the real world most buyers never even notice, or raise a fuss if they do.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 07-17-2019, 10:24 AM

For me it depends very much on the item. If I pick something up new from the shop I am liable to keep everything. I changed the tuning machines on my Guild D40 and kept the old plastic ones with the guitar's paperwork.

My 1974 Princeton Reverb has all the original paperwork, small parts, and speaker in a nice little pile.

The J45 I have now came to me with a destroyed case and needed a lot of work. Trashed the case and the lifted pickguard. If I decide to change pickup systems I'll sell whatever I can too. It is what it is, definitely not a collector's item.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion