The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
Larrivee D-03, D-03r, or D-40; I see the basic 'Recording series" (-03) Larrivee dreads for sale used all the time for right around 6-7 hundred...a bit more for the -40 series version. They're cannons and easily accommodate medium gauge strings if that's your preference.
Agreed, I'd go with a Larrivee 03 or 40 series. You can even get them new for around $1,200.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

My Guild D40 holds its own at the Bluegrass jam. You could find a used one for about $1000.00
Old 07-15-2019, 04:50 PM

Washburn now offers a dred sized guitar that has a lot of power.
Other than that, Eastman and Blueridge are great choices.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:26 PM

Shouldn't be too hard to find a used Martin D-15 or D-16RGT in the $1K+/- range; seen more than a few of them at bluegrass jams, and don't underestimate the volume/tone potential of that all-hog -15 - when they've been broken in properly they're surprisingly capable bluegrassers...
Old 07-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickcity View Post
I am looking for a decent bluegrass guitar that won't break the bank. Being a realist, somewhat, I realize that I may be asking a lot, so I am looking in the $1k range, give or take a couple hundred...It is likely to find a used D-18 in this price range, but I am also looking for alternatives to Martin, as I do not subscribe to the train of thought that it must be Martin or nothing.

I have done some due diligence, at least. I see that Blueridge guitars are often recommended, but I have not had a chance to play one. I also looked at the Taylor 210e and Martin D-12...Both seem like decent options, but the 210e appears to be discontinued, and I cannot find any feedback for the D-12 in bluegrass circles.

I am definitely leaning towards the dreads.

I need something that plays decent and will cut through when I need it. If you play bluegrass, you know the score. Any recommendations or input will be appreciated. Thank you.
I took a chance on a lightly used 1998 Larrivee D03R on ebay last year, and it is by far my favorite rosewood dread I have ever played
Old 07-15-2019, 07:01 PM

Used Westerly RI build Guild Dreadnought.

Used Guilds are significantly undervalued on the used market.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 07-15-2019, 09:06 PM
Charter Member

Default Eastman E10D-TC

YOu should be able to nab one for around $1100. There is a video comparing the standard E10D to -TC model made by the Chapmans at The Acoustic Shoppe. Great blind fold comparison.

For about $400 less the E6D is definitely a good sounding guitar. It is not a Martin D-18 but just a great sitka/mahogany dread. IMHO
Old 07-15-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realbluesman View Post
Consider an Alvarez Masterworks MD60-BG. Rivals a D18 and with a nice hard case sells new for $600:

https://www.alvarezguitars.com/guitar/md60bg/
I second this option. It might not match a D-18, but should come real close in most aspects...except price. Eastman's and Blueridges are nice too, but the Alvarez is probably only matched in terms of bang for the buck by Yamaha, from what I gather. I've heard good things about some of the Ibenez models as well. If you are willing to spend $1k or more, there are lot's of options that are worthy of comparing. But when you get in the ~$500 range, plus or minus, I don't think anything really beats Alvarez in terms of consistency between models and particular guitars. I have a friend with an Alvarez masterworks dread who picked up a D-28 that he absolutely loves. But he still finds the Alvarez a joy to play, and has a hard time putting either of them down. That says a lot considering the Alvarez might be worth 20% or less the cost of the D-28!
Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 PM

Try this on for size...this seller has upgraded the tuners to the excellent JCL 'Faradyne' 18:1 tuners that come on the higher-end models, but other than that, all-solid sitka over mahogany (and the old man evidently has an inexhaustible supply of the best S. American 'hog) ebony board & bridge, maple binding...these things should cost twice what they do, but don't tell him.

https://reverb.com/item/22313483-larrivee-d-03-2006
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 07-15-2019, 11:29 PM
Charter Member

I like the Blueridge 140A.
I had the earlier version with the narrow 1 11/16" nut width. It had unlimited headroom. No distortion. 25.6" scale length. Skinny neck (around .750" at the first fret).
I haven't tried the last 10 years of this model with the 1.75" nut widths. It had some serious horsepower with a heavy pick and medium EJ17's.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Charter Member

Thank you all for your well considered recommendations. I have been asked to join a group of very talented musicians for some collaborations of bluegrass and I need a good tool for the job. I have played bluegrass but am mostly a country player and singer. My main guitars are pretty basic, but very good, nonetheless. I mostly play a Taylor 114e and a Gibson J-15. Both are very good guitars and are good for accompanying my vocals, but I'm not so sure they will give me what I want in a bluegrass band. So...

I had not considered a Larrivee. I have a friend that played a Larrivee dread years ago and it was an outstanding guitar. I will be looking very hard at their offerings.

Used Guild guitars are another definite maybe. I have always admired their sound and playability, of the ones I have had the chance to play.

I've always been a fan of Alavarez acoustic guitars for their value. They are another I had not really considered, but that Masterworks looks like a great option for the price, and maybe exactly what I am looking for...

I have played a couple of Eastman guitars at a local shop who is a dealer, and I have to say I was quite underwhelmed. Although I am not one to write off a maker because of an underwhelming experience, so I will go back and try a couple more to give them another chance.

I'm not in a mad rush to find something, so I have time to look around and make a good decision based on my needs. For now I can get by with what I have...I have no brand loyalty and believe in a good player's guitar for the sound needed, no matter what the headstock says. I am fortunate to live in an area with an abundance of music stores and each carries a good supply of quality instruments. I was simply hoping to get a good idea of where to start, and all of you have helped me. Thanks a bunch!
Old 07-16-2019, 06:04 PM

If your J-15 doesn't have mediums, install a set and pound the snot out it for the next month or so - I've played a whole bunch, and IMO there's enough AJ DNA in there that with the right setup and a little bit of break-in time, you might just have a hidden gem on your hands...
Old 07-16-2019, 06:47 PM

I have a Cort D6 Gold that is a flat out fantastic bluegrass machine. Torrefied spruce top, solid mahogany back and sides, dovetail neck joint, scalloped forward shifted braces. Hard to find but worth checking out if you have a dealer anywhere nearby.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:19 PM
Charter Member

Some great suggestions.

If one is available to try out give the Eastman E1D a play. The tone is shockingly good for a 400 dollar guitar (that is what I paid brand new)
Old 07-17-2019, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
If your J-15 doesn't have mediums, install a set and pound the snot out it for the next month or so - I've played a whole bunch, and IMO there's enough AJ DNA in there that with the right setup and a little bit of break-in time, you might just have a hidden gem on your hands...

This may be the right idea. My J-15 is a great guitar. It is versatile and has done everything I have ever asked from it. It does not have medium gauge strings, however, and some good mediums should bring out the extra volume. It is certainly worth a try. It really doesn't need much, I'm thinking. It plays wonderfully, and is a very good guitar for flatpicking. I love the tone as well. I will give it a shot and see what happens.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion