The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-11-2019, 10:03 PM

Default Acoustic guitar shops to recommend

Hi all, I’m coming by salt lake Utah and one day in Seattle. Any good shop that I should visit while I’m there.

I’m
More interested in acoustic and also unique pieces. If there’s any to recommend or friends here who are looking at selling their guitars.

Thanks in advance
Seagull S6 with LR Baggs
Taylor 414ce, Baby, Big Baby, K22ce, GS mini Koa-e, 814ce
Alvarez AD30, AD30CE, AF30, AD60SHB
Fender Strat
Martin 000-42, Martin D-28 Marquis, CEO 7 Custom, DR Jr

What's left
Edwards Les Paul
Bourgeois Signature D Adi/Madi
Eastman E1OO-LTD, E40OM MR-TC

Last edited by Basalt Beach; 07-12-2019 at 07:47 AM. Reason: correct title
Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 PM

I can speak for Seattle.

-Dusty Strings in Fremont is awesome. Martin, Collings dealer, think Lowden too. Usually have a few used interesting guitars. I was in there last week and think they had a Froggy and a Goodall or two.

https://store.dustystrings.com/

-Mike and Mike's Guitar Bar is also in Fremont within walking distance of Dusty Strings. More impressive vintage electric collection but acoustics upstairs. Really friendly and inviting place. Website lists their collection, which changes often.

https://www.mmguitarbar.com/

-Emerald City Guitar in Pioneer Square. One of the premier vintage shops in the country. Good mix of both acoustics and electrics.

http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/

-Haven't been yet, but meaning to check out Thunder Road Guitars in West Seattle.

https://www.thunderroadguitars.com/store/
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel_taylor View Post
Hi all, I’m coming by salt lake Utah and one day in Seattle. Any good shop that I should visit while I’m there.

I’m
More interested in acoustic and also unique pieces. If there’s any to recommend or friends here who are looking at selling their guitars.

Thanks in advance
Intermountain Guitar & Banjo, right in Salt Lake City. Open by appointment, give them a call first. Great place!

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/
Old 07-12-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbelton View Post
I can speak for Seattle.

-Dusty Strings in Fremont is awesome. Martin, Collings dealer, think Lowden too. Usually have a few used interesting guitars. I was in there last week and think they had a Froggy and a Goodall or two.

-Mike and Mike's Guitar Bar is also in Fremont within walking distance of Dusty Strings. More impressive vintage electric collection but acoustics upstairs. Really friendly and inviting place. Website lists their collection, which changes often.

https://www.mmguitarbar.com/

-Emerald City Guitar in Pioneer Square. One of the premier vintage shops in the country. Good mix of both acoustics and electrics.

http://www.emeraldcityguitars.com/

-Haven't been yet, but meaning to check out Thunder Road Guitars in West Seattle.

https://www.thunderroadguitars.com/store/

Dusty Strings was the one shop I could get to on my last short trip to Seattle. Good store.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:20 AM

There are two categories of guitar stores in Seattle: (1) Dusty Strings; (2) all the rest.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:24 AM

Another vote for Dusty Strings in Seattle. I only wish they were more competitive on pricing. Guitar Center also just opened a new location in Seattle which I haven’t been to but would guess is well-kept and well-stocked — I know the new-ish one in Redmond is.

Only SLC shop that comes to mind is Acoustic Music up by the university on the east side, but I haven’t been there in probably a decade. They used to have a small selection of Taylor, Martin, and Collings acoustics.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

Dusty Strings is amazing. The staff are so friendly and accommodating. Never felt any pressure whatsoever to buy any one of the dozen or so I asked to play.

Emerald City is a nice shop as well but I’ve had one good experience and another that left a bad taste in my mouth. They frequently close off the acoustic section to shoot videos so you should probably call ahead and ask because I went out of my way to go there the first time and they filmed for over 45 mins and it was unfortunate, since I was on vacation and looked forward to it a lot. Ended up leaving because they didn’t seem to care I was waiting. They probably do their filming between 11-2 each day when it’s least busy but I may be wrong.

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 07-12-2019, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Intermountain Guitar & Banjo, right in Salt Lake City. Open by appointment, give them a call first. Great place!

http://www.guitarandbanjo.com/
100% this. The old dudes who run it are hilarious and perfect curmudgeons, and the place is full old old Martins.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM

I bought a used National resonator from Thunder Road Guitars. It was an online transaction but a very positive experience. I would visit them if I was in the area and buy from them again.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:36 AM

A couple of other possibilities in the general Seattle area (in case you aren't in the city itself):

Northwest Guitars in Bellevue, WA (amazing customer service).

A Sharp Music Company in Renton, WA (frequent host of Taylor Roadshows).
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archerscreek View Post
I bought a used National resonator from Thunder Road Guitars. It was an online transaction but a very positive experience. I would visit them if I was in the area and buy from them again.
They also just moved into a brand new shop a couple weeks ago. I drove by one day and it was closed, but looked like a cool space.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM

I also like The Trading Musician on Roosevelt in Seattle. Last time I was there I came real close to leaving with a suh-weeet! one-owner L48 from the early 50's with orignal case and receipt. They were asking $1800, and it was in great shape except the tuner buttons were almost gone.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinfurlow View Post
They frequently close off the acoustic section to shoot videos so you should probably call ahead and ask because I went out of my way to go there the first time and they filmed for over 45 mins and it was unfortunate, since I was on vacation and looked forward to it a lot. Ended up leaving because they didn’t seem to care I was waiting. They probably do their filming between 11-2 each day when it’s least busy but I may be wrong.
Was at Emerald in March and same thing happened to me. They closed off the acoustic room to film. This keeps buyers away from the inventory and does not seem like the wisest business move. But who am I? They also buzz you in at the front door like a pawn shop or jeweller. Must be the area. Inventory was decent but not fantastic.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:27 AM

I live within walking distance of The Trading Musician and the new Guitar Center in Seattle. The acoustic room at GC is neither the best nor worst GC acoustic spot. Some GCs have a big acoustic room with 1-2 smaller rooms with higher-end and vintage stuff, and the Roosevelt Square shop's acoustic section is a single room. Decent selection, though. Seems like Lynwood and Tukwila have better acoustic rooms.

The Trading Musician is a cool shop that specializes in oddball geets. The weirder the better. At one point they had two Ovation solidbody electrics in stock, and that weird Super Chet Gretsch.

Rosewood Guitars in the Greenwood neighborhood is really cool, too, specializing in acoustic stuff. Small, but cool.

If I were stopping at one shop, it would be Dusty Strings. You'll be able to check out Martins and Taylors up and down the line, other high end brands, ukuleles, mandos, and their own line of hammered dulcimers.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:49 AM

Thank you everyone. Unfortunately my planning wasn’t ideal. Only have one day in Seattle. I’m really hoping to come back with a good deal.

Anyone who is selling their acoustic guitar in salt lake, pls contact me directly and let me know what you have. Likewise in Seattle too.
Seagull S6 with LR Baggs
Taylor 414ce, Baby, Big Baby, K22ce, GS mini Koa-e, 814ce
Alvarez AD30, AD30CE, AF30, AD60SHB
Fender Strat
Martin 000-42, Martin D-28 Marquis, CEO 7 Custom, DR Jr

What's left
Edwards Les Paul
Bourgeois Signature D Adi/Madi
Eastman E1OO-LTD, E40OM MR-TC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion