The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-09-2016, 09:37 PM

Default Beau Hannam: "The Tree Quilted Mahogany" Small Jumbo, Document 1

Originally from Sydney, Australia, luthier Beau Hannam is true a Renaissance man. His background includes:

1) Nine years of total art education in wood working, engraving, line and colour design, etching, oil painting, sculpture, drawing the human form, and art history.
2) Aesthetic influences range from the Renaissance and Baroque painters, Arabic geometry, Japanese woodcuts and calligraphy, the Expressionists, Russian and Greek Orthodox iconography and illumination, to the Art Deco and Art Nouveau movements.
3) Travels to or living in 3 different continents.
4) The study of Philosophy and Theology.
5) Nine years of work as a student, teacher, and co-builder with master luthier Gerard Gilet, during which he learned and participated in every aspect of instrument building from design to final product.
6) In 2012-13 Beau moved to Grand Junction, Colorado to pursue his lutherie career on this side of the world. He has since been building an average of 15 custom guitars and ukuleles per year.

Knowing the talent and dedication to the craft of lutherie Beau possesses, I am thrilled that he is building my Tree Quilted Mahogany Small Jumbo Art Deco guitar. Pictures to follow.

Detailed plans with specs of features that The Tree Quilted Mahogany Art Deco Guitar will have. Some aesthetic items are still subject to change, but this is general look the final project will have.

The Tree back and sides boards and "Tortoise shell" veneer for the headstock and rosette. purchased from Jay Howlett, the Tree Meister.

Small Jumbo shape that Beau designed with my feedback. Elegant, nicely rounded upper bout. Lovely

Fabricating the mold for the new SJ shape at left. Molds for three different instruments in the center. The completed SJ mold in all its glory on the right.

Quilted mahogany back with the new SJ outline in chalk pencil. Routing out the channels for the segmented back strip. Upper and lower channels with BRW and b/w/b purfling installed and partially scraped. Close up of segmented back strip. Brazilian rosewood on upper and lower strips; Buckeye burl for center strip; all surrounded with black/white/black purfling. Segmented back strip completed with back outlined by mold.

Back jointed and joined with what Beau quaintly refers to as the "marriage strip." Chiseling out spaces for the scalloped mahogany ladder braces to cut through the "marriage strip." Completed back bracing on right with a spray-coat of shellac to reduce the impact of moisture on the inside of the guitar. Beau will sand 1/4" (perhaps a tad more) of the shellac off of the outside edges of the guitar back to ensure that it adheres to the kerfing on the guitar rims when the box is glued together.

Note how even one thin coat of shellac makes the Tree colour and figure POP!

Side view of Moonspruce top that shows how perfectly quartered and tight the grain on this Master Grade wood truly is.

Last edited by MrBigFish; 09-18-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:11 PM

Default Pictures

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but though I followed the procedures for posting pics to a thread, they will not show up in the post, either when I Preview the document or after it has been Saved. I have a MacBook Pro laptop, but that shouldn't create a problem. So... if anyone out there has a suggestion or an easy fix, I'm all eyes and ears.

Thanks,

Jim <°)))><

Last edited by MrBigFish; 09-11-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 AM
AGF Sponsor

Not sure what you did around your pictures, but it may be useful to know that they must be stored on a server somewhere and then retrieved to your post by using the html reference [img] followed by [/img] with the exact address of the image sandwiched between the tags, which is most easily accomplished by using the tool bar above the posting window. It is simple enough, but many novices find it a serious hurdle. Good luck.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigFish View Post
Originally from Sydney, Australia, luthier Beau Hannam is true a Renaissance man. His background includes:

1) Nine years of total art education in wood working, engraving, line and colour design, etching, oil painting, sculpture, drawing the human form, and art history.
2) Aesthetic influences range from the Renaissance and Baroque painters, Arabic geometry, Japanese woodcuts and calligraphy, the Expressionists, Russian and Greek Orthodox iconography and illumination, to the Art Deco and Art Nouveau movements.
3) Travels to or living in 3 different continents.
4) The study of Philosophy and Theology.
5) Nine years of work as a student, teacher, and co-builder with master luthier Gerard Gilet, during which he learned and participated in every aspect of instrument building from design to final product.
6) In 2012-13 Beau moved to Grand Junction, Colorado to pursue his lutherie career on this side of the world. He has since been building an average of 15 custom guitars and ukuleles per year.

Knowing the talent and dedication to the craft of lutherie Beau possesses, I am thrilled that he is building my Tree Quilted Mahogany Small Jumbo Art Deco guitar. Pictures to follow.

Detailed plans with specs of features that The Tree Quilted Mahogany Art Deco Guitar will have. Some aesthetic items are still subject to change, but this is general look the final project will have.

The Tree back and sides boards purchased from Jay Howlett, the Tree Meister.

Same boards with the Tortoise shell veneer that will be used on the headstock and rosette.

Small Jumbo shape that Beau designed with my feedback. Elegant, nicely rounded upper bout.

Beau fabricating the mold for the new SJ shape.

Quilted mahogany back with the new SJ outline in chalk pencil.

Routing out the channels for the Brazilian rosewood, buckeye burl, and b/w/b purfling segmented back strip.

Upper and lower channels with BRW and b/w/b purfling installed and partially scraped.
There. Fixed it for you. Use QUOTE to see what I did. Copy the "Direct" link under "SHARE THIS PHOTO" on your Photobucket page for that image. Place in your AGF post using the "Insert Image" icon (looks like a mountain), and paste in the copied link. If your message is quoted, it will read like this:
Code:
[IMG]"http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p481/MrBigFishNY/Tree%20quilted%20hog2_zpsngwtxzdi.jpg"[/IMG]
Don't use the quote marks. I had to add them to prevent the image from trying to display in that spot.
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579

Last edited by kkrell; 09-12-2016 at 06:27 AM. Reason: Missed an image
Old 09-11-2016, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. I did use insert picture icon (i.e., the mountain icon) with the URL for each image store on Photobucket, but couldn't get things to work. Will try again tomorrow to see if I can work out the kinks.

Jim <°)))><
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBigFish View Post
Thanks for the feedback, Bruce. I did use insert picture icon (i.e., the mountain icon) with the URL for each image store on Photobucket, but couldn't get things to work. Will try again tomorrow to see if I can work out the kinks.

Jim <°)))><
You used the wrong links.

For the last image in the post, yours reads:

[IMG]"http://http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/MrBigFishNY/media/Close%20up%20segmented%20back%20strip_zpshjoscf27. png.html?sort=2&o=23"[/IMG]

Mine reads:
[IMG]"http://i1152.photobucket.com/albums/p481/MrBigFishNY/Close%20up%20segmented%20back%20strip_zpshjoscf27. png"[/IMG]

Quote Marks added by me to keep IMG code from executing.

All the best,

Kevin
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 09-12-2016, 02:56 PM
AGF Sponsor

When you paste in a complete address, you have to make sure the "http://" that's already in the helper window is eliminated.
Old 09-23-2016, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Very cool rosette idea!
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-24-2016, 09:09 PM

Oh my, that is gorgeous, wow wow wow.....
Old 10-24-2016, 09:33 PM
Charter Member

That is looking quite lovely. Please keep up the posts!
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Hannam View Post
For best chatoyance on figured wood, always use a scraper (in a single direction) which cuts the surface rather than scratches it as sand paper does.
Scratches limit the reflective qualities of the surface- think of tiny scratches like fog which limits the full potential of the figures beauty to shine through. I learnt more about all this during my "Cello Guitar" build through many talks with Cello maker, Chris Dungey.
Ah - so there IS a word for it - and yes, always a scraper.
Very tasteful aesthetics.
happy building.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

Looks beautiful, Beau--certainly a unique a stunning rosette as well!

Thanks for sharing this...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 04-20-2017, 11:06 AM

What an all out build! Both you and your customer are very blessed to have this coming along, really liking it!

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 04-20-2017, 11:54 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Looking real good! Hey Beau, we've updated our rules for 2017. You can upgrade here if you'd like to continue to use the AGF:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/payments.php
Old 04-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Cool- thanks JR

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. Rogers View Post
Looking real good! Hey Beau, we've updated our rules for 2017. You can upgrade here if you'd like to continue to use the AGF:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/forums/payments.php

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop