The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-04-2016, 02:19 PM

Did the research and now I know, N2 heavier neck than N1 and has a truss. Why would a truss be needed in a carbon neck that won't warp? maybe used to set action? So I don't get that one.
But anyway right now looks like the Parlor by Rainsong is the closest thing to my OO in size and scale and since they have electronics volume should be of no concern.
Going to give Ted a call and see what's up...thanks again guys, gals, and wii let you know how it turns out.....Jerry
Old 05-04-2016, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryM View Post
Did the research and now I know, N2 heavier neck than N1 and has a truss. Why would a truss be needed in a carbon neck that won't warp? maybe used to set action? So I don't get that one.
But anyway right now looks like the Parlor by Rainsong is the closest thing to my OO in size and scale and since they have electronics volume should be of no concern.
Going to give Ted a call and see what's up...thanks again guys, gals, and wii let you know how it turns out.....Jerry
No, the truss isn't necessary. Rainsong went with popular demand on concerns from a great majority of customers that were wary of purchasing a CF without a truss. It just gives the player more flexibility when dialing in their playing preferences regarding neck relief. I find the action on Rainsongs high before set up, so you will need to sand the saddle down considerably if you are like me and prefer very low action. Here is the coolest thing about CF though- once you get the perfect setup it STAYS there, regardless of temperature and humidity.

By the way, I love the NS neck, which is the N2 but a 12 fretter.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:18 AM

Hi Jerry, I've commented elsewhere on the forum (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=414188) and you may see my thoughts after having owned the Kevin Michael for a bit. I'm a very happy camper with mine.

In short, I tried it out and was very excited, but was surprised at how small it was. I thought it felt almost too small and that I wouldn't enjoy so I held off. Over the course of six months and several more visits, I tried an APLE and Parlor, along with many other guitars. I kept coming back to the KM and pulled the trigger on it over Christmas.

I'm 6'3" and 220-ish, so not a small guy. I haven't felt uncomfortable playing it--in fact, I play it significantly more than my other guitars because it is such a comfortable/fun/convenient size. If you're not able to try one before buying, it's very similar to a GS Mini in size/feel.

Last edited by Blaker; 05-06-2016 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
Hi Jerry, I've commented elsewhere on the forum (http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=414188) and you may see my thoughts after having owned the Kevin Michael for a bit. I'm a very happy camper with mine.

In short, I tried it out and was very excited, but was surprised at how small it was. I thought it felt almost too small and that I wouldn't enjoy so I held off. Over the course of six months and several more visits, I tried an APLE and Parlor, along with many other guitars. I kept coming back to the KM and pulled the trigger on it over Christmas.

I'm 6'3" and 220-ish, so not a small guy. I haven't felt uncomfortable playing it--in fact, I play it significantly more than my other guitars because it is such a comfortable/fun/convenient size. If you're not able to try one before buying, it's very similar to a GS Mini in size/feel.
Blaker
thanks for adding to the thread-this is a very interesting carbon guitar-I was not aware of these, I'm researching and they seem extremely musical with a very nice quality to the notes.

they do not appear to have a truss rod adjustment-is that correct-I can't find anything on that yet?

definitely one more in the mix of the hunt(looking strong at the RS APLE)

d
Old 05-06-2016, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

just looked at the Journey instruments Ted mentioned, these look quite nice, sound really natural, and the cost is very appropriate-I like the longer scale as well. if anyone has the Journey, please tell us about neck profile shape-compare to any other CF guits you had in the running mix. I can't find the string spacing at the saddle-looked on the Journey site, may email them, but if anyone has that spec please add it here(calling on Ted).

Journey OF510B

and the carbon version/specs: (these sound very nice imo)

•Black Carbon Fiber Finish
•Patented Neck Joint
•Compact Body Shape
•Unidirectional Carbon Fiber Top
•Fiberglass-Reinforced Carbon Fiber Back and Sides
•Proprietary Carbon Fiber Bracing
•Carbon Fiber Reinforced Neck
•Carbon Fiber Fretboard
•24.5" Scale Length
•1 3/4" Nut Width
•Traditional "C" Neck Shape
•20 Frets
•Bone Nut and Saddle
•Grover Mini Tuners
•Proprietary Undersaddle Pickup System

Last edited by darylcrisp; 05-06-2016 at 11:11 AM.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:08 AM

Hey darylcrisp - saddle spacing is 2 1/4. Great for all-around fingerstyle/strumming.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 05-07-2016, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darylcrisp View Post
Blaker
thanks for adding to the thread-this is a very interesting carbon guitar-I was not aware of these, I'm researching and they seem extremely musical with a very nice quality to the notes.

they do not appear to have a truss rod adjustment-is that correct-I can't find anything on that yet?

definitely one more in the mix of the hunt(looking strong at the RS APLE)

d
Hi Daryl,
Nope, no truss rod on these. You do get three saddles that vary string height. With those and the guitar being consistent regardless of humidity/temp changes, I haven't missed having a truss rod.

The APLE certainly is a great option too,, lots of fun guitars out there. Good hunting to you!
Old 05-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaker View Post
Hi Daryl,
Nope, no truss rod on these. You do get three saddles that vary string height. With those and the guitar being consistent regardless of humidity/temp changes, I haven't missed having a truss rod.

The APLE certainly is a great option too,, lots of fun guitars out there. Good hunting to you!
Their wood guitars also come with three saddles of differing height. The wood instruments have Buzz Feiten tuning: buzzfeiten.com

Because of the Buzz Feiten tuning, you must use one of the saddles that came with your guitar. I have no idea if their CF guitars have this tuning.

Just curious...what is the saddle string spacing on their CF guitars?

The two issues I had with my McPherson were:

1) the body was too big to continue to play comfortably (so I had to get a smaller body instrument eventually)

2) the saddle string spacing was too narrow despite the 1 3/4" nut. This is why, when discussions come up that focus solely on nut width, I try to introduce the concept of considering string spacing at the saddle. My next guitar was a better fit for my playing style because I did consider this aspect.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 05-08-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Because of the Buzz Feiten tuning, you must use one of the saddles that came with your guitar. I have no idea if their CF guitars have this tuning.

Just curious...what is the saddle string spacing on their CF guitars?

The two issues I had with my McPherson were:

1) the body was too big to continue to play comfortably (so I had to get a smaller body instrument eventually)

2) the saddle string spacing was too narrow despite the 1 3/4" nut. This is why, when discussions come up that focus solely on nut width, I try to introduce the concept of considering string spacing at the saddle. My next guitar was a better fit for my playing style because I did consider this aspect.

Tony
Hi Tony,

I misspoke, the KM comes with two saddles, not three. I don't know if it uses the Buzz Feintein, but the string spacing at the saddle is advertised as 2 3/16"--that's what it measures out with my ruler too.

I haven't tried the Camrielle/Sable body style, would love to try that on for size. The touring is definitely a smaller-bodied guitar, I've had a blast with it. Glad to hear you found a guitar that you enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber