The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 03:29 PM

Default Another Laminate Question

I have a Yamaha F325D all laminate which I think sounds incredible, especially considering what it cost. I especially appreciate the stability and how well it stays in tune and sounds now that the humidity has spiked. My question is, what is it exactly about laminate that makes it so much less susceptible to humidity, especially (it seems) high humidity? I do take reasonable care of it and keep it cased when not playing it, but it seems like it's almost a poor man's carbon fiber.

Last edited by tonyg; 07-16-2019 at 03:56 PM.
Old 07-16-2019, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyg View Post
I have a Yamaha F325D all laminate which I think sounds incredible, especially considering what it cost. I especially appreciate the stability and how well it stays in tune and sounds now that the humidity has spiked. My question is, what is it exactly about laminate that makes it so much less susceptible to humidity, especially (it seems) high humidity? I do take reasonable care of it and keep it cased when not playing it, but it seems like it's almost a poor man's carbon fiber.
Grain orientation is turned 90 degrees from one layer to the next. If temperature or humidity tries to make the wood swell or shrink in one direction, the strength of the wood in the other layers opposes it. That’s my theory anyway.....
1979 Alvarez CY 115, #226 of 600
1977 Giannini Craviola 12 String
1997 Martin CEO-1R
1970s C.F. Mountain OOO-18
1968 Standel/Harptone E6-N
1969-70 Harptone Maple Lark L6-NC (Katrina guitar)
Supreme A-12
Voyage-Air VAOM-06
Esteban Antonio Brown Model
Old 07-16-2019, 05:10 PM

That's it in a nutshell. Lamination simply makes the wood more stable, with less shifting due to humidity levels and temperature changes. That ties in with greater dimensional stability: less shrinking and expansion due to humidity changes, as well.

whm
Old 07-16-2019, 06:50 PM

ahh.....that makes sense. I didn't realize or forgot the wood layers go in different directions. In certain regards an all laminate guitar has some great things going for it, and evidently, Yamaha seems to know how to get the most out of them, specifically the F335 and the F325D. Like I said, a poor man's carbon fiber!��
Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Nothing wrong with laminated bodys. Some sound as good or better than solid wood, and the stability is a bonus.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-17-2019, 10:53 AM

A huge bonus if you tend to be overly fussy about guitar care like myself! Although low humidity can do more damage, it seems to me at least it's easier to manage. High humidity seems more difficult to manage, and really affects the sound of a solid wood guitar like my Martin 0015-M, whereas my all laminate Yamaha sounds consistently good regardless, and I spend more time just playing and enjoying it. I can see why some folks spend the big bucks on a carbon fiber guitar but I'm pretty happy with my F325D.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:04 AM

Besides the orientation, I believe it is also related to the some layers being very thin (veneer). It doesn't allow the wood to soak up or release moisture like a solid piece of wood with more volume.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-17-2019, 11:17 AM

With every layer of laminate comes a layer of glue.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadfulnaught View Post
Grain orientation is turned 90 degrees from one layer to the next. If temperature or humidity tries to make the wood swell or shrink in one direction, the strength of the wood in the other layers opposes it. That’s my theory anyway.....
Nailed it.

Ed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion