The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 10:43 PM

Default Ebay problem - cracked top newer Martin Artist DCPA4

Purchased a newer Martin Artist DCPA4 and it arrived today with a cracked top. The seller was from Vegas and the pics or the description didn’t show any cracks. My guess is that the guitar was dried out and this happened during shipping. I only paid $600 and other than the crack, the guitar is in like new condition, plays and sounds great. Seller not helpful, won’t take it back so getting ebay involved if necessary. Hoping seller will cost of repair which is $125 since I don’t plan to re-sell.

http://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/...Yw6tBfWL1I42vT

Last edited by Seattlesurfer; 07-17-2019 at 07:16 AM. Reason: Corrected link to embed picture
Old 07-17-2019, 04:37 AM

If you paid for it with paypal they should help you. Credit card company should as well. File a “not as described “ claim. May not be buyers fault, but it sure isn’t yours either.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:28 AM

Ebay buyer protection has your back. Open a case and include photos of the damage. It may take a couple days but they will find in your favor and provide you with a prepaid return shipping label.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:09 AM

That's a centre seam split isn't it, not a crack?
Old 07-17-2019, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattlesurfer View Post
Purchased a newer Martin Artist DCPA4 and it arrived today with a cracked top. The seller was from Vegas and the pics or the description didn’t show any cracks. My guess is that the guitar was dried out and this happened during shipping. I only paid $600 and other than the crack,...
To me it doesn't matter how, why it showed up cracked. IT SHOWED UP CRACKED. Tell the shipper that if he/she doesn't take it back voluntarily, you will immediately file a claim with Ebay/PayPal and return the guitar. If it wasn't that way when shipped, the seller can file an insurance claim. If it was cracked when shipped, the seller is a cad.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 AM

As far as the pictures, and description of the guitar that you viewed, you have no idea *of when* those pictures were taken.
The seller may have shown pictures of the guitar *before* any cracks were there, wanted to offload to somebody else, and blame the shipper or buyer for the damage, there are lots of unscrupulous people out there.
Not saying that's the case here, but, who knows?
Old 07-17-2019, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stringjunky View Post
That's a centre seam split isn't it, not a crack?
+1
That looks to me like the seam in a two-piece top.
Old 07-17-2019, 08:49 AM

Default Vegas Guitar

A guitar from Las Vegas ! Hot dry climate, air conditioning always on makes for very low humidity. Like someone else noted, that looks like a center seam split.
Old 07-17-2019, 10:28 AM

It doesn't matter how, when or where it happened but it did. The seller WiLL have to refund your money, and Ebay will make sure of it.

I'm the other hand, if you truly love the guitar and don't mind having it repaired, and have the seller pay for the repair and all shipping charges.
Martin 00-28
Martin D-18
Cordoba C7
Gretsch Jim Dandy
Old 07-17-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krash58 View Post
A guitar from Las Vegas ! Hot dry climate, air conditioning always on makes for very low humidity. Like someone else noted, that looks like a center seam split.
From Las Vegas (avg summer humidity 20) to Seattle (avg summer humidity 60-80) seems like it could fairly easily cause a seam split. How was the guitar packed & shipped?
Old 07-17-2019, 01:06 PM

It was well packaged plus an upgraded Martin case. I’m hydrating it now out of the case with a D'Addario Planet Waves Screeching Halt Humidifier and noticing that the crack/separation is shrinking. I have a hydrometer and living in Seattle, average humidity in my apartment is 50% so I keep my guitars out. I’ll post another pic soon with progress. Thanks for everyone’s comments!
Old 07-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Default Low humidity

Low humidity tends to shrink wood and cause seem splits. It may close up somewhat if humidified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
From Las Vegas (avg summer humidity 20) to Seattle (avg summer humidity 60-80) seems like it could fairly easily cause a seam split. How was the guitar packed & shipped?
Old 07-18-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
Humidity related seam splits don't happen going from dryer to more humid. Additionally, humidity effects are not instant and occur as a guitar dries out, not overnight. The guitar was likely shipped very dry and unstable. Once it got into the shipping process, and bumped around a bit, it likely split.

The root cause of almost all bridge to lower bout center seam splits is being too dry. This means the guitar "split" due to neglect and the seller should be notified - before the OP does anything to the guitar. Humidifying will close the seam up - likely looking perfect - until it dries out again. It can also cause brace issues. Unless you (OP) plan on humidifying and cleating the seam, I would file the claim immediately. If I was the seller and you kept the guitar for a week before making a claim, I would assume you did the damage.
Old 07-18-2019, 06:32 PM

Default Split seam

I think the seller probably used a photo from before it split. The guitar probably lived in Las Vegas for an extended period of time and split before he sold it !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Humidity related seam splits don't happen going from dryer to more humid. Additionally, humidity effects are not instant and occur as a guitar dries out, not overnight. The guitar was likely shipped very dry and unstable. Once it got into the shipping process, and bumped around a bit, it likely split.

The root cause of almost all bridge to lower bout center seam splits is being too dry. This means the guitar "split" due to neglect and the seller should be notified - before the OP does anything to the guitar. Humidifying will close the seam up - likely looking perfect - until it dries out again. It can also cause brace issues. Unless you (OP) plan on humidifying and cleating the seam, I would file the claim immediately. If I was the seller and you kept the guitar for a week before making a claim, I would assume you did the damage.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:04 PM

A similar thing just happened to me on a Reverb purchase, except I didn’t know the scratch was a crack until after I tossed the box and paid for a setup and fret dress. See my post in the Repair forum. I got a $100 from Reverb, but I lost more in value. However, I learned a valuable lesson.
Martin: D-41 Reimagined (2019), 000-15SM (2018), OM-28 VTS Custom (2016), D-18 Golden Era (2014)
Taylor: K24ce Builder’s Edition (2020), K14c Cedar (1999)
Yamaha: CSF3M Parlor (2019)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion