The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-16-2019, 06:52 PM

Default A thought

I think nobody is stretching any strings. Wire don't stretch. I think most of what constitutes 'stretching' is seating the string ball end up against the bridge plate.
Old 07-16-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeeway View Post
I “stretch” the strings several times...really just ensures that the strings are tight on the tuners and on the saddle end...and then tune up to pitch. My guitar, an Emerald X20 carbon fiber, generally stays in tune after that, only needing tiny tweaks now and then.
Left myX20 in a storage shed for two months. After floods and power outages, I got back to it and have been playing it for several days now. Still haven't needed to tune it from before I put it into storage.

On the other hand I have a really nice Pono baritone uke I have to tune every time I pick it up. It drives me crazy how much that uke can go out of tune with just a minor temp or humidity change. Maybe it's the nylon strings. Sounds nice otherwise.

On my guitars I do a couple of major bends with each of a new set of strings and within a few minutes they stay in tune.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

After stringing, I tune to pitch, and then starting with the 6th string (bass E) wrap my fretting hand around the neck and hold the string down at the first couple of frets, and then pull up with the other hand around the 12th fret putting tension on it…it goes flat, I tune back to pitch and pull again, it goes flat, and I tune it back to pitch. Move on to the next string. It eventually settles in pretty quickly.

I use this method & it works great.
Old 07-17-2019, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I think nobody is stretching any strings. Wire don't stretch. I think most of what constitutes 'stretching' is seating the string ball end up against the bridge plate.
As I said earlier it's mostly ensuring there's as little slack as possible in the wraps around the tuner post. A ball end snugged up against a bridge plate doesn't have anything that needs 'stretching'.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
This is another internet/forum claim that has no basis. Wire can most certainly can stretch and contract. A simple Google search can enlighten one on the subject.

https://www.stringjoy.com/stretching...-strings-myth/
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 07-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
After re-stringing I always brought the strings up a few notches above pitch (using a headstock tuner) knowing they’d stretch out and I ultimately would fine tune to get to the correct note.

It occurred to me that I should only ever tune to pitch and tune up as needed....never going above correct pitch.

Or doesn’t it matter?
1. String 2. tune 3. bend @ 12th fret. Repeat steps 2 & 3 until stable.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Slothead, I've stretched in each string as I've put it on for more than forty years now by bringing each new string up to pitch, pressing down at the first fret with my left hand while sliding the fingers of my right hand underneath the string from down around the soundhole all the way up to the first fret. Then I repeated that until each new string stayed at pitch and didn't go out, usually five to six times a string.

But about three months ago now I became a convert to an inexpensive little gizmo called the String Stretcha, which has simplified, streamlined and sped up the process for me:

String Stretcha

String Stretcha in use

Here's a review from an online gear page:

https://www.guitaranswerguy.com/002/

That page has the manufacturer's video embedded in it, which is a good quick tutorial on how to use one.

I paid $12.50 for mine. I don't use mine on my mandolins, but I've never stretched in my mandolin strings, anyway. But I do use the String Stretcha on all of my guitars, mountain dulcimers and banjos now. It's a useful little doodad, and I recommend it.

Full disclosure: I have no commercial ties to whatever company it is that makes the String Stretcha, I'm just happy with how well the thing works and am using one when I change my strings these days.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Thats an interesting little gizmo, i normally just pull them by hand and retune until they settle.
Old 09-20-2022, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

How do you play in new strings to get to concert pitch?

I typically tune up to pitch, pull on the strings a little -- no more than a few pounds of pull -- to tighten the turns up on the tuner posts, and then retune until the guitar strings hold normal, concert pitch. If I remember correctly, at least for me, new steel strings usually require no more than 3 cycles of tuning and slight pulling to get the strings to hold normal pitch.

I don't purposely tune above concert pitch on any strings, but sometimes I do accidentally end up above pitch. Generally, a little tug on the string and it comes down to below pitch, anyway.

I don't think there is serious risk of damaging a guitar by occasionally tuning slightly above pitch on only one string for a very short period of time. This situation has never caused any problems with any of my guitars over almost 6 decades of playing and putting on new strings.

- Glenn
Old 09-20-2022, 10:00 AM

Here's what 50 years of practical experience has proven to me about the process of string changes:

1. Change your strings, but do learn how to do it properly so you don't end up with problems due to slippage, crossed wraps, etc. The Taylor Guitar website has a good tutorial on doing it the correct (and easy) way.

2. Tune close to pitch, then seat the balls and wraps on the string posts by grabbing each string over the soundhole with your thumb and index finger and giving them repeated "twists".

If you look at the previously posted "String Stretcha" you'll see that you can do the exact same thing without needing a special tool or purchasing anything. Guitarists have been "doing the twist" to seat strings for as long as steel strings have been marketed. I use the exact same technique for mandolin family instruments, 12 strings, banjos, bass guitars, or anything that has a tensioned string.

3. Pluck each string, twist, pluck again and listen for the pitch drop. Repeat the "twist" until the string no longer drops in pitch.

4. Tune up to correct pitch and play. You're done!

Some players lift the string to seat the ball and string post wraps but "doing the twist" applies a much more uniform amount of tension each time.

Try it, you'll like it! ...and you don't need to keep track of another tool when it's time to change strings.

Last edited by Rudy4; 09-20-2022 at 10:28 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:03 AM

I usually change only one string at a time, starting with the bass and working toward treble. I tune 'em up as I go, usually listening to the whole guitar after each string. After changing all the strings, I do a serious tuning and play for about a half hour. Then I tune up again, and let the guitar sit for a day in its case.

The next day I check the tuning, play another half hour, and re-check the tuning. Strings usually have realized they're part of something else by the time I pick it up again.

I do the same for my 12-string guitars except I change all the main strings first and then all the octave strings. I keep my 12 string guitars tuned down a semi-tone to D#. And I usually leave the fine tuning to the octave 'g' string last. Basically I try to keep the same tension on the neck at all times.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 09-20-2022 at 10:41 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
This is another internet/forum claim that has no basis. Wire can most certainly can stretch and contract. A simple Google search can enlighten one on the subject.

If you test a string to failure, there are two zones of strain: elastic and plastic. Most of the time a string returns to its normal length, like a spring does elastically.

When a high E string is stretched up to F or F#, it begins to undergo plastic deformation, and it won’t return to its original length. It is on the way to breaking, as you can see in this article:

https://imechanica.org/node/21939

The idea of string stretching is based on plastic deformation occurring before elastic deformation. It’s the other way around.

I think the ends of the string settle, and people attribute it to plastic deformation in the middle. Plastic deformation is generally bad news, though.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 09-20-2022, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

I have always found the strings on all my guitars incredibly stable on installation and last a long time. So I must be doing something right!

I stick them on; wind them up close to pitch; give them a tug about the 5th, 12th and 17th; take them to pitch; play.

Oh yes; I forgot; after a couple of minutes playing I'll seat them into the nut and bridge.

And another thing - one string at a time or all bets are off and the settling takes much longer!

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 09-20-2022 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Kind of akin to the Ideal Gas Law.

Something that eludes the National Football League to this day.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 09-20-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:

I am 100% sure that wire, including guitar string wire, stretches. I am far less convinced that we are stretching our strings when we pull up on them after installing new strings. I suspect we are helping them settle in. The article you linked to has no data to support the author’s conclusions.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 09-20-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
I've been playing stringed instruments over 40 years. My first 8 years were lots of performing. I now have around 20 fiddles, mandos and guitars that I play at home, in weekly jams and about two gigs per month. I've never had to do any extra "stretching" gyrations for my strings. Change 'em, tune 'em, play 'em. Retune as needed.
I am with Mandobart- I am like this----

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion