The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Default Cf ages?

Just curious. Don't know if this has been asked. How old are your cfs, what brand, and have they had any issues? I know there's a lot of them here...
Old 05-08-2019, 02:43 PM

There have been no issues with any of them, and most look just like the day they left the factory. No changes in neck angles or action. Are you worried about something in particular?

The only minor concern is with my Lucky 13. It has a very thin satin clear coat on the back of the neck that started to wear through with play near the first fret, happening within the first year. The CF weave is not yet exposed, but the underlying texture is starting to "print" through. It is pretty minor and cosmetic (very hard to photograph) and has not gotten to the point of sending it back to Blackbird for a touch-up. I have mentioned it to Joe at Blackbird. I normally see him exhibiting at the Reno Ukulele Festival every spring, but have not made it the last two years for various reasons.

The whole list of composite instruments is:
- Rainsong WS-1000, 2001
- Rainsong PMJ-1000, 2004
- Peavey / CA Cargo, 2013
- Blackbird Lucky 13, 2016
- Blackbird Farallon tenor ukulele, DEC 2017
- Emerald X20, 2016
- Emerald X20-12 custom, fall 2017
- Emerald X7 koa woody, NOV 2017 Select Series
- Emerald X7 bubinga woody, early 2018 before the X7 redesign
- Emerald X30, DEC 2018

We got along just fine with the Rainsong's until my petite wife wanted a mama bear sized Cargo for herself. As you can see from the chronology, once we got a taste of Emeralds they have been our only acquisitions since. The X7 has displaced her Cargo, which now mostly lives in the closet.

All of the makers build great instruments - I have tried most except Leviora from Germany - but we have a "type". The ergonomic bevels and curves combined with great tone put the Emerald out front for us.
Old 05-08-2019, 02:49 PM

I've owned an embarrassing number of CF guitars (from Rainsong, CA, Blackbird, Emerald) going back to 2003...I've never had one change over time in any perceptible way, or fail/break.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:15 PM

Sorry. Wasn't trying to offend anyone. I just thought it would be fun to see how old the cfs were here...like if someone had any that were 20+ years old. And I was just curious if any that old had any long-term issues. I wasn't really fishing for any info. I've had a bunch...but never kept any past 2 years...since I've been searching for the perfect guitars for me...
Old 05-08-2019, 03:43 PM

No offense taken - you asked a valid question, and not in a trolling or confrontational manner at all. Would you mind telling us what you've already tried? We might be able to send a recommendation your way.... You are about a 4½ hour drive from Lansing and Elderly Instruments, BTW.

I was aware of Rainsong for a few years before actually buying one, and the Ovation Adamas before that. At the time, I lived in Alaska and keeping wood guitars humidified was a major TASK! The WS-1000 was the only guitar that could live out handy for more than half of the year and didn't require re-wetting damp sponges every single week. It also made a tremendously good camp and gigging guitar. During that time I was finally able to acquire some nice wood guitars from major manufacturers. With my newfound love for CF, the wood guitars are slowly on their way out. Every time I have to open a case to dampen a sponge, I am tempted to advertise that guitar on Craigslist.
Old 05-08-2019, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementarymusic View Post
Just curious. Don't know if this has been asked. How old are your cfs, .......

Carbon Dating ?
2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars
Old 05-08-2019, 04:08 PM

Sure! I have had 2 Rainsong dreads and a parlor. But I really can't do a 1 3/4" nut.

I've had every Blackbird with custom nuts and wasn't completely happy with any of them.

I have an Emerald T20 dread that I LOVE now...but I really have been blown away by their new look with their beautiful woody tops, so I'm considering matching x10s in steel and nylon. That is all I would need. I mostly play fingerstyle and do some rhythm work for church.

But I wasn't really asking this question to get info for my purchase...I was just really interested in long-term cf owners and their experiences. Since we have so many here.
Old 05-08-2019, 04:34 PM
Charter Member

Same as the others, have had numerous Rainsongs, a Cargo and 3 Emeralds. NEVER a problem with any of them....I no longer own the oldest Rainsong.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:19 PM

I have a pre Peavey CA Player X model that is from around 08 I believe. Have never really been able to verify its actual age. Could be as early as 04.

the only issues I have had with it is I didn't care for the stock pickup. Not the pickups fault

And the finish on the neck is coming off. I have had to use a very fine grit sandpaper to smooth it out again.

Oh and I had to re-glue two braces when I bought it. The very ends of them were causing a nasty buzz. But nothing I would consider major. The hardest part about the brace issue was actually tracking it down.

I bought it used and have had it for 3 years now and it still sounds exactly the same as when I first heard it played by the fellow I bought it from who had ALSO bought it used from the original owner.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:26 PM
Charter Member

My late 2018 Emerald X20 is holding up just fine.

However, there is a 1963 Martin in the house that is setting a very good example
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 05-09-2019, 06:14 PM
Guest 928

I think my turn of the century cargo is still carrying the load.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I think my turn of the century cargo is still carrying the load.
So, we have people who have actually kept a guitar for a few years.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-10-2019, 09:13 AM
Guest 928

Perttime;

I didn't mean to suggest that I still had either of my Cargos. I realized early that I could not afford every CF instrument that I wanted to keep and so have engaged in serial monogamy. My Cargos passed through my hands and into the hands of others, as have my Rainsongs, Blackbirds, and Emeralds. But I know they have found homes and are still making music.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber