The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-12-2019, 07:34 PM

So tonight, as if to mock me, a guy shows up with two large Mackie speakers on poles, and starts playing . . . . and I can barely tell that anybody's playing or singing at all.

So after the first song, I go up to tell him I basically can't hear him, and that he needs to turn up the entire volume (but more on the vocals). He seems very appreciative.

On the next song, I'd really like more vocals, except . . . his voice needs some *serious* EQ work. Probably a good cut in the 3-4k range, and definitely some boost in the lows. But I'm sure as heck not gonna go try to tell him THAT. Now if he'd had some sort of wireless mixer I would've gladly tried to mix from where I was sitting.

Then he switches from acoustic guitar to an electrified archtop, and now his guitar is WAY too high in the mix (though it is hiding his seriously-in-need-of-EQ vocals). I leave before he decides to switch to the mandolin he also brought.

He clearly needs a decent sound guy (or just a hack like myself) to sit and work with him on some presets or something to get his starting point better off. I'm curious what he would've sounded like through a Bose L1C, though having 3 instruments would make that a bit more complex than just using the "stick".

I'm not really trying to knock the guy . . . I don't know how *anybody* is able to sit up there and PLAY and SING and remember lyrics at the same time, much less also be paying attention to how they sound and know how to adjust it. But I actually felt sorry for the guy, because basically nobody was paying attention to him.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:40 PM

Oh, and last Friday, one of my favorite local singer/songwriters (who always plays with her Bose L1C when she gigs alone . . and sounds great with it) was at a small venue that had some serious sound equipment. Big QSC mains and subs (though I don't think the subs were actually turned on). Even had a sound guy, and I could hear them doing a sound check (I showed up early, as usual, but could hear them doing it from outside the door).

Seriously, she sounds better through that Bose L1C than she did through the decent sound system with a sound guy. She was also using their SM58 mic (she usually uses a Sennheiser, forget the model at the moment). Maybe it's just the way that sound guy likes to hear things vs how I like to hear them, but she didn't sound as good as the lowly Bose L1C "stick" to my ears. Go figure.

At least the volume was appropriate, though.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:44 PM

I totally agree that no mixer is needed for your solo gigs. I've pondered all that, tried it and found it's just one more piece of gear to wory about...and your audience will have no clue... instead, and to embellish my sound, I did these alternatives [ ha more gear ! But worth it]: i use the TC Helicon Play Acoustic pedal before the Fishman LB Artist amp, and for slightly larger venues, run the Fishman's line out to an Alto Trouper speaker column ( it's up higher on a pole] . Once it's levels are set, you can pretty much control everything from the amp...so there is your " mixer "..

Charles

https://cnsacoustic.squarespace.com
Old 03-16-2019, 08:25 AM

I can't believe this thread is still going.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 09-14-2023, 08:17 PM

For guitar live gigs, with your yamaha mixer, do you use the reverb on the mixer, or a reverb pedal instead?
Old 09-15-2023, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I use a mixer for a few reasons...

For oe, I play 6 and 12 string guitar and vocals when I perform as a solo... the mixer lets me switch between guitars easily, quickly and it lets me mute channels to avoid distracting noise.

I use a Bose T1 mixer/Tone Generator gizmo... I use that to eq my guitars, plus add reverb and delay for my voice and guitars, as well. I have it on a small tray that affixes to my mic stand and I run one cord from there to either my Bose L1 Model II or my AER Compact 60.

Having that little mixer right at my fingertips enables me to use short cords for the guitars and my vocal mic... with only one cord going to the amp source, it makes for a very clean set-up on stage.

Lastly, the mixer does give me the ability to have someone sit in, should the occasion arise.

It doesn't sound as though you really need a mixer in your signal chain. I am a firm believer in keeping the signal chain as minimal as possible...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 09-16-2023, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

What you need is subjective.

In reality, you don't "need" even the Fishman.

Boils down to what you are willing to carry, and set up.

I have a few Christmas programs coming up. I just plan on taking my Loudboox Mini.

Throwing it down and go.

Then again, I will only be doing 3 or 4 songs, for small groups. Could probably do the gigs with nothing.

If I were outdoors or in a large space, with big crowd I would opt for a version of my PA.

Have been using my Soundcraft UI12 at practice. Bought for ease of use in quick situations.

Gotta say, I could do it faster and with a better sound, with analogue mixer, and even just one PRX815. Would just be more to move.
Old 09-17-2023, 01:44 PM

Late to the show but my 2 cents worth.

I do assisted living shows with less than 50 people in attendance most of the time.
My Bose S1 Pro does everything that I need for these shows.
It has 2 channels and I use #1 for my vocal mic and #2 for plugging in my acoustic/electric guitar.

Everything that I need for my shows fits in a small folding wagon.
This includes my guitar, a folding stool, mic gear bag, speaker and small stand.

This is very convenient and allows for a quick set up and take down.
Plus it is all very light.

If I need more coverage, I have either a second Bose S1 Pro or a small powered speaker.
Old 09-18-2023, 02:28 PM

I always laugh when I see a solo performer with a huge 12 channel mixer and all they have is a mic and a guitar going in.
Old 09-18-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I always laugh when I see a solo performer with a huge 12 channel mixer and all they have is a mic and a guitar going in.
If a twelve channel mixer is all you have, and it serves its purpose, I see no reason not to use it.

I have two mixers--an eight channel analog mixer and an eighteen channel digital mixer. Both work well. I usually play two guitars (not at the same time, of course!) and sing, so both mixers are overkill, but when I'm playing solo I will take the mixer that I'm more comfortable with at the time. I also host open mics, so in those cases either mixer is also appropriate.

I don't see the problem or any reason to laugh.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 09-19-2023, 09:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
If a twelve channel mixer is all you have, and it serves its purpose, I see no reason not to use it.

I have two mixers--an eight channel analog mixer and an eighteen channel digital mixer. Both work well. I usually play two guitars (not at the same time, of course!) and sing, so both mixers are overkill, but when I'm playing solo I will take the mixer that I'm more comfortable with at the time. I also host open mics, so in those cases either mixer is also appropriate.

I don't see the problem or any reason to laugh.
Yeah, my favorite local brewpub runs at least a 12-channel Behringer mixer into an Evolve 50 for open mics, when 90% of the evening is just a guy with a guitar--and uses the same mixer for jams when there are frequently at least 8 inputs at once--into two 50's.
Old 09-19-2023, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
I have a Behringer X18 (18 in, 6 aux out plus mains). Usually it's only a mic and two guitars, so it's overkill. But it's only the size of a big loaf of bread sitting on the floor, and I bought it so I could add more musicians if I wanted on occasion, or even do a full band. Makes more sense for some of us to just buy one mixer for all our needs.
Old 09-19-2023, 11:07 AM
Charter Member

I use a mixer when solo just for the amount of control it has over the signal.

You get several different gain stages to dial in your level exactly, you get channel EQ (parametric on most digital boards), channel compression, effects, master level, master EQ to tune the system to the room, and master limiting or compression. Even with just two channels I find it useful to be able to control the signal to that extent.

-Mike
Old 09-19-2023, 11:35 AM

I'm with Mike above--when I play solo I only use three channels (vocal, guitar, looper), but having more granular control over the particulars and the overall mix makes me much more comfortable. I occasionally try my luck with just a mic and my Session DI+looper right into a speaker, but I generally end up not liking the results.
Old 09-19-2023, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

I sit when playing and almost always use a mixer for easier access to
minute adjustments. When I am using my Bose PA, the T4s is great.
When I use my QSC, I use a larger mixer than needed, because there
are no 'small' analog mixers with XLR outputs and minimum of 3-Band
Mid EQ. That is my guess that is why you see a lot of large mixers.

I use the Mackie Onyx8 and would love to know of smaller alternatives.
I only know of the similar sized Presonus AR-8c.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification