The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-16-2019, 05:49 PM

Default NGD Cordoba C-10 Cedar

well, it's used but new to me.

I love my GK Pro Negra, but wanted something a little more classical in tone at times.

Just bought a used Cordoba C-10 from GC. I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with several different store asking questions & getting additional photos of ones that they had in stock.

Finally settled on one last Thursday and have been waiting for it to arrive.

Guitar is in awesome shape, it's got a minor scuff on the side of the fretboard that'll polish out nicely.

A nice surprise is that the guitar arrived in the Cordoba black foam case. When I had talked to the manager, he told me it was coming with the silver slightly padded Cordoba gig bag.

I'm waiting for the Cordoba Rep to confirm the actual age of the guitar via the serial number vs what the store manager told me.

it's currently sitting in my living room acclimating. Tomorrow will be change the grubby strings, clean the fretboard & start playing it day.

No pics, I've never had success in posting photo's here.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 04-16-2019, 09:43 PM

Nice congrats on the new guitar! I've heard very good things about the c-10 but I've never had the chance to play one.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:09 AM

Congratulations on the C10, this is the cedar/rosewood one correct? I have a C10 crossover in spruce rosewood and always wondered about the cedar one. Let us know how you like the tone once you have played it a while
Old 04-17-2019, 10:25 AM

Thanks!

I had previously owned a Cordoba Orchestra 12 with cutaway. It had a Cedar top with laminate rosewood sides and back. I really liked the sound out of the guitar, but just didn't like the narrower crossover width at the nut. My left hand felt cramped at times.

The C-10 has a very similar sound to that guitar. But the 2.0 width at the nut makes it more comfortable for me. It feels just like my GK Pro which is 1.9".

I almost went with the C-9 model, but the traditionalist in me wanted Rosewood sides and backs instead of the mahogany that is on the C-9's.

The C-10 has been cleaned, fretboard's been scrubbed & new strings are on it (Savarez Cantiga normal tension basses & Savarez high tension Alliance Trebles).

My initial thought after restringing it is that I might want to lower the saddle a bit, but I'm going to wait for the guitar to settle into it's new strings & home before doing anything.

Right now, I'm just letting the strings settle a bit before digging into playing it.

There's something special about opening a guitar case and smelling Cedar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownUpDave View Post
Congratulations on the C10, this is the cedar/rosewood one correct? I have a C10 crossover in spruce rosewood and always wondered about the cedar one. Let us know how you like the tone once you have played it a while
Old 04-24-2019, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Dave, on acquiring a guitar that you like!

How does the neck thickness of the C-10 compare to the thickness of the GK Pro Negra?

I really LOVE the feel of the thin neck on the GK Pro (mine is a Blanca)

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 03:06 PM

Thanks!! I'm really enjoying the C-10

I've had my GK Pro for over 4 years now.

There isn't a whole lot of difference in the neck between the 2 guitars. The neck profile feels just at the same to me.

Using my calipers, there's about a 0.050" difference in a lot of the specs between the 2. The C-10 starts at 2.01" at the nut where the GK is 1.96"

For example; string spacing is about that same difference at the 1st fret... 1.695" on the GK vs 1.765" on the C-10

Neck thickness at the 3rd fret on the GK is 0.84" and the C-10 is 0.89"
At the 12th fret... GK is 0.91" and the C-10 is 0.97"

The biggest difference is the width of the neck at the 12 fret..GK is 2.37" and the C-10 is 2.45".

But, man oh man, there is a definite difference in sound between the 2 guitars. The C-10 is everything I've been searching for in the classical sound.

My GK Pro will still be my workhorse for fingerstyle pop tunes, jazz, etc...

But the C-10 will easily handle load for all the classical pieces that I play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
Congratulations, Dave, on acquiring a guitar that you like!

How does the neck thickness of the C-10 compare to the thickness of the GK Pro Negra?

I really LOVE the feel of the thin neck on the GK Pro (mine is a Blanca)

Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Dave, thank you for a super-thorough comparison!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical