The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-24-2019, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Default When You're Ready - Molly Tuttle's new album

I bought Molly Tuttle's new album as soon as it came out. I like the red vinyl which is kool but I'm little disappointed in the music.

I'm still a fan but this album misses the mark in my humble opinion. I find it over produced and find the writing a little weak. I don't find myself enjoying it very much and I'm disappointed because I was really looking forward to it. I understand that she is going for commercial success and wish her well but not everyone who can sing and play well is also a great songwriter. (And vice versa.) Molly Tuttle sure can play guitar and sing!

Who else here has purchased the new Molly Tuttle album and what do you think about it?

Last edited by Al Acuff; 05-24-2019 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2019, 04:57 PM

I haven't heard it yet, except for that song you posted.

Although the song was nice and well-produced, I kept thinking "where is the guitar?" To my mind, when Molly de-emphasizes the guitar, she loses something essential to me.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 05-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Very disappointing, based on that one track.
Old 05-24-2019, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

I agree. She's a world class guitar player and also a very good singer. She's photogenic too. So with all that going for her why try market her as something she's not? She's not Jewel but her music video sounds more like a Jewel song than a Molly song.

At the same time I bought Molly's album I also bought The Harrow And The Harvest by Gillian Welch and David Rawlings. It's a wonderful record that I've played over and over. I can't help thinking that Molly ought to spend some time listening to it too. What a lovely record!
Old 05-25-2019, 05:18 AM

She has the ability and potential to reach massive commercial success. She's spreading her wings.

I'll give her a pass on the (over)production, I still hear plenty of well played guitar, a viable commercially written song, and some **** fine vocals.

Seems she's right on track...Let her make her career, if her hearts in it, she'll return to her roots.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:32 AM

I have it, yeah it not a bluegrass fest chock-full of fancy single note licks but I enjoy it. This is her time...she's pretty fantastic.
Old 05-25-2019, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportycliff View Post
She has the ability and potential to reach massive commercial success. She's spreading her wings.

I'll give her a pass on the (over)production, I still hear plenty of well played guitar, a viable commercially written song, and some **** fine vocals.

Seems she's right on track...Let her make her career, if her hearts in it, she'll return to her roots.
I hope she makes some money and returns to some more artistic music, once she can afford it. Others (George Benson and Michael Franks come to mind) have done so.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

I saw her concert first then bought the record. I enjoyed her show and that might influence how much I like her album.

She’ll never reach a wider audience if she doesn’t sound “more commercial”. She’s too **** good to be kept a secret. As a career path, I think she’s headed in the right direction. Why not let her try to grab the attention of a wider audience. It’ll only allow her to make more music.

In the middle of her show, she did a couple of bluegrass tunes that highlighted her chops. It’s probably what most people wanted to see. And she delivered. She has some fine guitar playing in her album too. It may not be a bunch of lightning speed instrumental guitar soloing, but there’s some mighty fine playing in there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN