The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:20 AM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotspur View Post
To improve your ability to hear music and sing on-key, use the functional ear trainer, a free download from miles.be.

It's great, but realize that singing on key is only a small part of being a good singer, and that poor technique can make it hard to stay on key even if your ear is good.
Downloaded it. Seems quite good. Doing it with the guitar in my lap but i'll try it everyday see if i improve
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-22-2013, 11:54 AM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

So i'm at home recording myself sing. By itself while listening to the song. It's just horrible listening to yourself but trying to be honest with myself and seems i'm not even sure where to start vocal wise. Trying a song called Ho Hey for no particular reason but doesnt seem too difficult because it's in the key of C.

Tried singing but just seems all to pot really.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
YamaYairi YamaYairi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
So i'm at home recording myself sing. By itself while listening to the song. It's just horrible listening to yourself but trying to be honest with myself and seems i'm not even sure where to start vocal wise. Trying a song called Ho Hey for no particular reason but doesnt seem too difficult because it's in the key of C.

Tried singing but just seems all to pot really.
Can you hear if you are singing in tune with the song?
__________________
Warren

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
Can you hear if you are singing in tune with the song?
To be honest i'm not sure. Iwould upload something but the microphone is well horrible and has slight static.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:21 AM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

I made a quick record but this was me just picking the guitar up and singing along. As i needed to get to work. So if you can have a listen i know there is some part where i did some weird vocal thing and i dont know why i did it at that point but anyway any advice would be appreciated.

If some advice come then i can attempt to practice for a while then record again. i dont particullary know why did this song but it's Ho Hey - The Lumineers.

http://soundcloud.com/chrisb-scotland/untitled-7
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 AM
YamaYairi YamaYairi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I made a quick record but this was me just picking the guitar up and singing along. As i needed to get to work. So if you can have a listen i know there is some part where i did some weird vocal thing and i dont know why i did it at that point but anyway any advice would be appreciated.

If some advice come then i can attempt to practice for a while then record again. i dont particullary know why did this song but it's Ho Hey - The Lumineers.

http://soundcloud.com/chrisb-scotland/untitled-7
You are sometimes in tune and sometimes not. I think this will improve with practice, just keep singing and playing. The sound of your voice is pleasant enough, as you play more you will become more confident. The song only has about a 4 note range so it's hard to tell if you have any vocal problems, but it does sound like you need to work on breath support. Do the lying on your back on the floor exercise I told you about, and try to breath like that when you are standing up, then try it sitting.
__________________
Warren

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 AM
dorable dorable is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Smyrna, Tn.
Posts: 545
Default

There are some out of tune moments (I've heard worse, both from myself and on youtube). Do you have a keyboard (piano not typing)? I just ask because I find it easier to practice pitch matching with a keyboard than guitar.

Some exercises you can do include: play a five note scale (1-2-3-4-5) and hum the notes as you play (then move to singing on different syllables - singing success uses "nay" and "mum.") Do it super super slow and really focus on matching the pitches.
Play a chord and match one note of it, and hold that note as you change chords (use chords with common tones and match the common tone). Try changing notes as you change chords.
Do download the functional ear trainer and work with that. Ear training will help you know when you're out of tune.
I highly recommend getting in person lessons. Yes you can improve on your own, but it will be a lot more difficult and take longer.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 AM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

I do think i would have done better but i found out this morning i could upload to soundcloud so picked it up for the first time. So after i have a few tries it does get better. Just i was in a rush to get to work.

I'll have a try at this breathing trick later.

Well i believe i sing in the key of C or something like that so can easily enough play the scale a Sing along. Usually can mabye do 5 notes of C then get's too high for me.

One thing i noticed when i was recordin myself last night that for most songs i sing like i'm pushing air out rather than singing and trying to make the words clearer so already has helped to an extent.

I download the function ear. I use the guitar with me and does kind of help. Just I can play the lower notes i can get those correct 8/10 times but as it's on a piano it's gets higher where i can't even play that note on the guitar So gets quite difficult.

@YamiYari, can you explain what you mean by breathing support a bit more please?


Thanks guys for advice.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:05 AM
YamaYairi YamaYairi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
@YamiYari, can you explain what you mean by breathing support a bit more please?


Thanks guys for advice.
See, this is why in person teaching is better. I found this picture on the internet:

The diaphragm is underneath your lungs. When you breath in, the diaphragm relaxes and drops down, creating a vacuum and drawing air into the lungs. In order for this to happen efficiently, your abdominal muscles must move out when you breath in.
When you exhale, the diaphragm tightens and lifts, pushing air out of your lungs, and the abs need to help support the diaphragm by moving in. If properly done, the support even involves the lower muscles in your groin somewhat. When you breath properly, your chest should be expanded and stay that way, and your abs should move in and out.
When you stand, raise your arms above your head. Your chest will expand. Now lower your arms but keep the chest in the same position. That's the position you need to sing in. Don't let your chest sag when you breath out.
__________________
Warren

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 AM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

Ahh okay. Thank you for that.

So i currently should try to sing standing up in that position, then how will i do that when sitting down playing guitar?
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
YamaYairi YamaYairi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
Ahh okay. Thank you for that.

So i currently should try to sing standing up in that position, then how will i do that when sitting down playing guitar?
First try it laying on your back, then standing. Once you can do it standing up, you will be able to do it sitting down. In fact I think it's easier sitting.
__________________
Warren

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamaYairi View Post
First try it laying on your back, then standing. Once you can do it standing up, you will be able to do it sitting down. In fact I think it's easier sitting.
lying on the back didnt really work but make sense when raising your arms thing does.

Is there any song that would be advised to start singing to?

Last edited by Scotch; 04-23-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-23-2013, 01:11 PM
Scotch Scotch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Bonnie Scotland
Posts: 523
Default

I just had a thought as well.

For this example the song Ho Hey. Do i try to sing the words in C note or does voice haves it's own melody, If does whats the best way to learn it. Just listen and try to sing back?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-24-2013, 06:24 AM
YamaYairi YamaYairi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
I just had a thought as well.

For this example the song Ho Hey. Do i try to sing the words in C note or does voice haves it's own melody, If does whats the best way to learn it. Just listen and try to sing back?
Listen and try to sing back the same way and the same pitch.
__________________
Warren

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-24-2013, 06:25 AM
YamaYairi YamaYairi is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 2,452
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotch View Post
lying on the back didnt really work but make sense when raising your arms thing does.

Is there any song that would be advised to start singing to?
Lying on your back does work, it has to. What you are supposed to do is lie on the floor on your back, with your hand on your abdomen, and feel it rise and fall as you breath. Try it again.
__________________
Warren

My website:
http://draudio56.wix.com/warren-bendler

"It's hard...calming the Beatle inside of me."
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=