The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-22-2010, 05:25 PM

Billionaire is a great barre chord workout.

These look like the correct tabs:
http://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/t/tr...e_ver8_crd.htm

Here's a vid of Bruno Mars singing it (warning, F-word used in verse):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwlK5b4KYfI

JD
Old 09-22-2010, 10:43 PM

I found a Marty video on you tube of sitting in the dock of the bay really good barre chord song.
Old 09-23-2010, 08:11 AM

I know you've talked a little bit about getting into the blues and I picked up something kind of nice the other day. One of my blues books showed a nice easy I-IV-V moveable chord progression.

Long story short, the book liked to use all 7th chords but obviously you can use what you want. Say your playing in the key of A and start out with an A7 chord at the 5th fret (using the E7 shape, 5-7-5-6-5-5). Then you can move to a IV chord by keeping your barre on the 5th fret and dropping to an A7 chord shape and playing a D7 chord (this would be X-5-7-5-7-5). Then all you have to do to play the V in your I-IV-V progression is move your A7 shape up to the 7th fret and that will give you an E7 chord (which would be X-7-9-7-9-7).

So basically your A7, D7 and E7 chords (I-IV-V) are all right there. You can use majors, minors or 7ths or what have you and mix up your strumming and progression all you want. If you want to play in the key of G, just start out back at the 3rd fret and follow the same type pattern. It will give you a G, C and D chord (another I-IV-V pattern) pattern.

Does this make any sense or did you already know this stuff? Just figured it might help because you can practice all the E and A chord barre shapes you want and just jam on your own and go where ever you want to go. The times that I've had the most fun on the guitar are when I just start strumming and playing on my own. Once I figured out the whole chord progression deal, it really opened up my playing since I knew which chords worked together depending on which key I wanted to play out of.

Last edited by Badfrog; 09-23-2010 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:13 AM

Jammin' by Bob Marley, it's what I learnt barres from. Fair enough it only has the E shape chords but it gets you switching from open chords to barres at speed.

Only 4 chords as well:

Bm (barre)
E which changes into E7
G
F sharp major (barre)

Then in the verses it goes:

Bm (barre)
E
Bm (barre)
E
G
F sharp major (barre)

Plus then you can do a cool reggae strum with mutes and string slaps. Great fun to play.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfrog View Post
I know you've talked a little bit about getting into the blues and I picked up something kind of nice the other day. One of my blues books showed a nice easy I-IV-V moveable chord progression.

Long story short, the book liked to use all 7th chords but obviously you can use what you want. Say your playing in the key of A and start out with an A7 chord at the 5th fret (using the E7 shape, 5-7-5-6-5-5). Then you can move to a IV chord by keeping your barre on the 5th fret and dropping to an A7 chord shape and playing a D7 chord (this would be X-5-7-5-7-5). Then all you have to do to play the V in your I-IV-V progression is move your A7 shape up to the 7th fret and that will give you an E7 chord (which would be X-7-9-7-9-7).

So basically your A7, D7 and E7 chords (I-IV-V) are all right there. You can use majors, minors or 7ths or what have you and mix up your strumming and progression all you want. If you want to play in the key of G, just start out back at the 3rd fret and follow the same type pattern. It will give you a G, C and D chord (another I-IV-V pattern) pattern.

Does this make any sense or did you already know this stuff? Just figured it might help because you can practice all the E and A chord barre shapes you want and just jam on your own and go where ever you want to go. The times that I've had the most fun on the guitar are when I just start strumming and playing on my own. Once I figured out the whole chord progression deal, it really opened up my playing since I knew which chords worked together depending on which key I wanted to play out of.
Hey mate, I did have an idea on how to play the I V IV but never really just tried to make it work up the neck just did the other one we all learnt first in open position, but definately give it a go, it will be good barre chord workout too as I rarely use the e7 and a7 shapes but will pick it up relatively easy I expect. Do you do that one where you add your pinky off and on? I'll post up a 12 bar blues vid off yopu-tube and you dig one up too for me how's that 'sound'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty1001 View Post
Jammin' by Bob Marley, it's what I learnt barres from. Fair enough it only has the E shape chords but it gets you switching from open chords to barres at speed.

Only 4 chords as well:

Bm (barre)
E which changes into E7
G
F sharp major (barre)

Then in the verses it goes:

Bm (barre)
E
Bm (barre)
E
G
F sharp major (barre)

Plus then you can do a cool reggae strum with mutes and string slaps. Great fun to play.
Hey sounds like fun mate I'll give it a crack, cheers.
Old 09-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daza152 View Post
Hey mate, I did have an idea on how to play the I V IV but never really just tried to make it work up the neck just did the other one we all learnt first in open position, but definately give it a go, it will be good barre chord workout too as I rarely use the e7 and a7 shapes but will pick it up relatively easy I expect. Do you do that one where you add your pinky off and on? I'll post up a 12 bar blues vid off yopu-tube and you dig one up too for me how's that 'sound'?

Hey sounds like fun mate I'll give it a crack, cheers.
The only times so far that I've lifted fingers while playing chords is with open chords and that's just on chords like D/Dm/D7, Am, and E (of course you can easily add or take away fingers to run around the E/Em/E7 trio). I'd love to see what you have in mind.

Sorry I don't have any good youtube vids to share at the moment. However, I'm going to start spending 75% of my time on studying/playing blues so if I come across anything (that isn't done by Marty) I'll be sure to pass it on.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:14 PM

here it is mate a good 12 bar blues progression with ya adding a pinky and playing it as a power chord works on acoustic as well as electric.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W5VzJKF6Y8

enjoy buddy(its not marty but still good)
Old 09-24-2010, 01:39 AM

I think the first barre chord song I learned was 'Faith' by George Michael. Can be played with any 1,5,7 but I usually play it A (577655) - D(x57775) - E (x79997)

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 09-24-2010, 04:45 AM

Ya gottta do the jam on Freebird!!

G Bb C
Old 09-25-2010, 09:16 AM

Try "Walk Don't Run", or at least the intro.

Walk Don't Run

The Ventures

Intro: Whammy Dip
E|-5-5-5--3-3-3--1-1-1--0~~~-|
B|-5-5-5--3-3-3--1-1-1--0~~~-|
G|-6-6-6--4-4-4--2-2-2--1~~~-| x2
D|-7-7-7--5-5-5--3-3-3--2~~~-|
A|-7-7-7--5-5-5--3-3-3--2~~~-|
E|-5-5-5--3-3-3--1-1-1--0~~~-|

Main Riff:

E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|---------------------1~0---------------0-1-0---------------------------------|
G|---2-------------0-2-----2-------------0-2-0-2-------0-----------------------|x2 Ending 1 after 1st time
D|-2---------0-2-3-----------------0-2-3-------3-2p1h2-2-0-2-3-2-0-2-0h2p0---0-| Ending 2 after 2nd time
A|-----0-2-3-----------------0-2-3---------------------------------3-------3---| After 3rd time (after interlude)
E|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------| go to final ending

Ending 1:

E|------------|
B|------------|
G|------------|
D|1-1-1-1-1-1-|
A|2-2-2-2-2-2-|
E|------------|

Ending 2:
Whammy Dip
E|-----------------------------------0~~~-|
B|-------------------1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-1~~~-|
G|---------------0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-2-2-2~~~-|To Interlude
D|---------0-2-3--------------------------|
A|---0-2-3--------------------------------|
E|-3--------------------------------------|

Interlude:

E|--------------------------0~~~----------|
B|-------------0-----0------0~~~----------|
G|-2-----2-------1-----1----1~~~----------|To Main Riff x1
D|---3-----3-------2-----2--2~~~----------|
A|-----3-----3--------------2~~~-/7-5-3-2-|
E|--------------------------0~~~----------|

Final Ending:

E|-----------8-~~~~-|
B|-----------8-~~~~-|
G|-----------9-~~~~-|
D|-2--2--2---10~~~~-|
A|-3--3--3---10~~~~-|
E|-----------8-~~~~-|

Here's the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1I0jy1H5qTo
Old 09-26-2010, 08:22 AM

If you want to practice switching from barre chords and back, Like a rolling stone by Dylan isnt a bad choice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write