The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 07-29-2010, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird_Williams View Post
I would second the thought that instrumental acoustic guitar is pretty sedate material for most bars. Leo Kottke and Laurence Juber would still get beer thrown at them at many places ;-)

I also think that one is generally an ornament at a restaurant unless it is very small - but personally, I find this utterly inoffensive. I love playing, and if all my music accomplishes that evening is setting a "mood" for good food and conversation, and if I am happy with what I played, so what? All the rest is just ego anyway (which I have tons of - so I do like "performing" occasionally too - it just does not have to be every time I play out.) Just because people are not giving you their undivided attention does not mean that they fail to notice or appreciate it. And then there's that one couple at the restaurant gig who comes over and thanks you, or pays you a compliment before they leave....

I too have found coffee bars and wine bars to be an entirely different breed from normal "shot-o-booze and beer" bars as far as instrumental playing goes. Many of the patrons as such a location will happily sit and actually listen. The ones who want to talk will generally do so quietly in the back. There have been exceptions, of course, but in general terms...

this is true, I play solo guitar at an open mic here in one of our cafes in our city and I find that the people are more attentive to what you are playing and they are more discreet when talking trying to not distract the other listening patrons of the establishment....I think it will also help to play a lively tune first, then a slow one and then close out with another happy tune...it's not a paying gig but hey we get %15 off our tab.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:40 PM

Quote:
I played a show in a bar this weekend to a room of about 200 people. I play solo acoustic fingerstyle stuff, a lot of Tommy Emmanuel, Chet Atkins, and other songs in that style.
I would come to hear you....
and sit close and watch both hands and every chord of every song....
and make requests
and ask you questions after the set.

I'm a guitarist (well, trying to learn anyway)

...think about it.

- Larry

Larrivee 000-60 12 fret slot head
Pavan TP-30 640 classical
Eastman AR805 CE archtop
Old 07-29-2010, 07:31 PM

You've got to play what they want to hear...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5N35kQAPv0
Old 07-30-2010, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyman View Post

Man, I hate it when that happens!
Old 07-30-2010, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson311 View Post
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
It's called practice.

Don't think that you are alone, though. There may be one person listening whom you may touch or whom may be your next connection.

"Every performance is an audition for your next gig."

George
Old 07-30-2010, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_S View Post
I don't play acoustic shows, but my band plays to large crowds regularly. It's just a part of playing music. Sometimes we just can't grab all of them. Be happy you had a gig. Enjoy the fact some of them were into it.

P.S. If you want to appeal to the masses, play more pop songs. Sad but true.
Some pop songs sound good on acoustic. I'd say classic rock stuff too.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:24 AM
*mahoganut*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
You could take the empirical approach and test whether or not they are actually listening: make up lyrics as you play and quietly sing them and see what happens....

"And the man and the woman at table five are having an affair. You can tell by the way she smiles and plays with her hair."

"And you didn't ask me so maybe you don't really care, but your waitress told me she prefers to serve sans underwear...."

"And the dude at table three should prolly pass on dessert. From here I can see the buttons about to burst on his shirt."

Ad naseum.

td
Rolling off my chair, td!!! Even if you sang them quietly to yourself that would really sparkle up your memory of the gig!

ad captandum vulgus
Old 07-30-2010, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskeyman View Post

Yes be happy that at least they didnt throw bottles at you
Old 08-01-2010, 06:36 AM

I always used to ask my students: What are you trying to accomplish? Are you presenting yourself as an artist (playing what YOU want) or entertaining a group of people (playing what THEY want)?

If you're playing what you want don't assume that the audience is obligated to like it. If you're playing what the audience wants don't whine about not being appreciated as an "artist". And I say this as someone who spent years doing both of those things.
Old 08-01-2010, 07:18 AM

dijpmaja

wise words there!! I do both but am more inclined to do what I want. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.....Goodtime Charley's got the blues!!!

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks, Gib. I don't think I would have taken my own sage advice back in the day, though.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I started off playing only instrumental music, and was good enough to get paid pretty good money when I gigged out. But if there's no singing, unless you're an absolute virtuoso you're going to be treated as background music.

Leo Kottke can play all instrumentals and people will listen, but if you're not playing at that level of musicianship, it's hard to get an audience's attention and respect.
Its hard even then. This was my immediate thought after reading the OP. Solo acoustic fingerstyle would have me snoozing after 2 tunes, unless they were simply amazing. Then it might take 3 tunes.
74 Cub Cadet 108
1989 Trek 950
2012 Chrysler Cordoba C7
Blueridge BG-40
Gibson J100 maple
Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjar View Post
ISolo acoustic fingerstyle would have me snoozing after 2 tunes, unless they were simply amazing. Then it might take 3 tunes.
I find that most people who think they're into acoustic guitar are actually into singing. Non-players even more so.... Never have been able to figure that out, are people who are into flute actually into singing? People who like fiddle? Saxophone? Somehow with the guitar, it's all about singing. Some disconnect there.

Quote:
If you're playing what you want don't assume that the audience is obligated to like it. If you're playing what the audience wants don't whine about not being appreciated as an "artist".
Excellent! Nothing wrong with either approach, as long as you know the difference. Confusing them just sets you up for frustrating gigs.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:30 PM
Charter Member

By the way, my suggestion for the OP is just to accept that most people in most places aren't going to really sit and listen to instrumental music. You have to decide between dijomaja's two worlds. If you want to play in places like that, you'll probably need to change your material.

Or you can find your own place. Find a small coffee shop that has no one there, ask if you can play and invite friends. Cultivate a crowd that likes what you like. I've done exactly that in the South Bay, CA area, found a venue with nothing going on on an off night, (Sunday) and started playing regularly. I invite people to play with me, virtually all instrumental, usually fingerstyle guitar. Once in a rare while someone sings - we don't throw them out :-) I've been doing this for 5 years now, and there are regulars who come all the time, some players, some not. There are people who wander in by accident. Most hang for a bit, discover that no one's going to sing and that everyone's listening and not talking, and leave. But some stay, and those are the ones we want to play for. I've had people tell me they had no idea that there was music like this, and they come back. Makes it all worthwhile.

You could easily start your own, as long as you don't have expectations of making a lot of money, or having huge throngs of people. It's just a matter of what you value, and creating a situation where you can connect with people who value the same thing.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
By the way, my suggestion for the OP is just to accept that most people in most places aren't going to really sit and listen to instrumental music. You have to decide between dijomaja's two worlds. If you want to play in places like that, you'll probably need to change your material.

Or you can find your own place. Find a small coffee shop that has no one there, ask if you can play and invite friends. Cultivate a crowd that likes what you like. I've done exactly that in the South Bay, CA area, found a venue with nothing going on on an off night, (Sunday) and started playing regularly. I invite people to play with me, virtually all instrumental, usually fingerstyle guitar. Once in a rare while someone sings - we don't throw them out :-) I've been doing this for 5 years now, and there are regulars who come all the time, some players, some not. There are people who wander in by accident. Most hang for a bit, discover that no one's going to sing and that everyone's listening and not talking, and leave. But some stay, and those are the ones we want to play for. I've had people tell me they had no idea that there was music like this, and they come back. Makes it all worthwhile.

You could easily start your own, as long as you don't have expectations of making a lot of money, or having huge throngs of people. It's just a matter of what you value, and creating a situation where you can connect with people who value the same thing.

Man! I wish there was an iPhone App called "Doug Young's Advice" I'd refer to it daily.

Seriously, great suggestion here. I'm inspired to try something similar here in Memphis.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write