The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-17-2019, 07:49 PM

Default Anyone use the Thalia wooden picks?

Curious how they sound and if they hold up. If someone wants to get rid of one let me know.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:13 PM

I have looked at but never tried the Thalia brand. I have tried (and use) another brand of wooden picks, I bought them on a whim, tried them on all my guitars, and love them on my Art and Lutherie Ami, but don't really like them on any other guitar. They hold up well so far, don't know it the Thalia will.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:19 PM

I was sent a sample of Thalia picks once when I bought a capo, and also bought a sampler pack. Their picks wear out very fast. Some of the thinner ones wore out in 10-15 minutes of moderately aggressive strumming on light strings. The thicker ones may last two hours.

For comparison sake, I have an ebony pick from another manufacturer that I've used for probably 6+ hours which shows signs of wear but is still going.

The laminate layers tend to crack and break off on the Thalia picks in my experience.

They do smell nice
Old 06-17-2019, 09:25 PM

Neither the Thalia wood picks nor stone picks do it for me. I bought an Agate pick from a gemologist in Pa. which was absolutely gorgeous but sounded awful on both acoustic and electric guitars. I think it will make a nice pendant for my wife! The wooden ones, eh!

To me, there's no comparison in sound and feel to the many plastic picks I have in my pick boxes. One stand out for me is the Guitar Moose picks. Very comfortable. My hands thank me!
Old 06-17-2019, 09:39 PM

I got some Thalia picks with my capo. They just stamp em out. Imagine taking a 1mm piece of rosewood and making picks with a cookie cutter. Then you can wear them down or file them down. As others say, they don't last. Color me unimpressed (at all).

If you're looking for something in the ballpark but way better, check out the Pickboy Exotic picks. They go for arond $6 each. I've tried rosewood, ebony, buffalo horn, and bone. Each has it's own sonic properties. When they get roughed up I just smooth out the rough spots paying attention to the original contours.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 06-18-2019, 12:59 AM
Charter Member

I tried them. Didn’t like the tone or the feel, and they wore very quickly.

I’m sticking to BlueChips, Red Bears and CLs.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 06-18-2019, 04:15 AM

Wood is probably the last material I would look for in a pick for both tone and durability. As a gimmick they look pretty.
Old 06-18-2019, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
They do smell nice
Well, that gave me a brainstorm.

Watch out Scott, I'm entering the pick business.

(drum roll please....)

Introducing the new Murphy Slaw Peppermint guitar picks. They smell great, the tone is similar to, you know, guitar picks. They naturally stick to your fingers so you won't lose them. And after the gig, they are great munchies...

I'll let you know when I have a few sanded down for sale.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 AM

I have a couple, but I don't use them. I find wooden, metal, and coconut picks (yes I have coconut picks!) to be gimmicky. They just don't sound good and aren't practical...here's the caveat....for me. I feel like they are very hard on the strings, and I can't see strings/pick holding up to heavy strumming over long periods of time.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:32 AM

Thanks for all the warnings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion