The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
This thread was 7 years old, lol.
Whew. Thanks for the heads up. I was tempted to hammer out a warning about the pros and cons of using only thumb and index.
Old 01-03-2015, 07:12 PM

Still, though, 7+ years hasn't aged the subject at all.

Working backwards myself. All 5 is how I taught myself and I can use the pinky as adeptly as any other finger. But...

More is less and most times more is the goal. If Travis (alternating) is the rhythm then using the thumb and two fingers is my method. Removing the middle finger, while possible, becomes more work on the hand so I keep the middle finger working.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:03 PM

Default Candyman

Having learned PIMA, not likely I can use just thumb and index, but that's what's recommended for Rev. Gary Davis Candyman - so maybe learn that one first, then add the other fingers!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauleddy View Post
I've seen a lot of advice in this thread to keep practicing until you're able to incorporate middle, ring, and pinky fingers. I guess I'm the reverse - when I started playing fingerstyle (on both electric and acoustic) it was all about the thumb, middle, and ring fingers (sometimes I'd strum with the index), but over time I've gravitated towards thumb and index, nearly exclusively. To me it sounds better. My middle and ring fingernails were always to be clicking and clacking on the strings, noticable if you tune into it. The tone is better, too, as the index finger, with it's unique angle, is nearly as fleshy as the thumb. They're perfect partners. Volume is more even, too. So while it's good advice to be able to use all fingers, don't rule out the possibilty that using only two fingers may not really be a handicap.
I don't think using 2 fingers is a handicap and is probably a big advantage when you're focused on a specific style. I started learning on a classical, so I'm used to using thumb and 3 fingers. Many of the songs/style I like to play require picking 3 or four strings simultaneously and I don't think they would sound as good if I was limited to 2 strings (or 3 if you're able to hit 2 at the same time with one finger).

If you play it right the first time, it's not hard enough.

Breedlove Exotic CM Classic E: Red Cedar/Black Walnut
Bedell Angelica Bellissima Parlor: Sunken Cedar/EIR
Breedlove Crossover OO Mandolin: Sitka/Maple
Old 01-04-2015, 12:22 AM

I second the suggestion of Mark Hanson's books. Detailed and well written. Nice guy too!
Collings O2HSB
Old 01-04-2015, 07:44 PM

Good to hear nobody has six fingers to claim that it won't sound full/interesting unless you balance out a finger for each string plus thumb on bass E.

Last edited by AfterViewer; 01-04-2015 at 08:11 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write