The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-22-2019, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Latency is really only an issue when you are recording and (i) are listening through headphones to what you are recording at the same time or (ii) are listening to previously recorded tracks while recording another instrument at the same time.

Latency is not an issue if your are recording without headphones or when mixing.
Also, how would you overdub a vocal or acoustic guitar track without using headphones, assuming you have already recorded a bass and drum track for example?
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-22-2019, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulp1960 View Post
Latency is also an issue when you play sounds from a keyboard generated on the computer. Eg soft synths, sampler library sounds like piano.

I do not know about Garage Band but in PT and I assume Logic "Automatic Delay Compensation" will eliminate those types of processing time differential issues .
PERHAPS yet another good reason to upgrade ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

Last edited by KevWind; 07-22-2019 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I do not know about Garage Band but in PT and I assume Logic "Automatic Delay Compensation" will eliminate those types of processing time differential issues .
PERHAPS yet another good reason to upgrade ?
Hi Kev I should have said excessive latency is an issue with soft synths.
My rig is fine in that regard.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-24-2019, 09:48 AM

Default Further thread hijack

Are any of you GarageBand users experiencing any of the glitches that I am?

Beyond the latency, which I attribute to my iMac, not GB, there are other frustrations. For one, even though I've got all my ducks in a row, there will be no signal in, until I quit and reopen the session - sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries - until signal in appears. Same problem with sound out, when I want to listen.

I use GB mainly as a sketchpad for (singer/songwriter) song ideas, so never use loops or drums and rarely any amp effects. It's pretty much mic in.

I'd upgrade to Logic, but my ol' iMac probably couldn't handle it.
Old 07-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Latency is also an issue when you play sounds from a keyboard generated on the computer. Eg soft synths, sampler library sounds like piano.
Yes it is.

Quote:
Also, how would you overdub a vocal or acoustic guitar track without using headphones, assuming you have already recorded a bass and drum track for example?
I wouldn't be able to overdub or record a companion track without headphones to listen to the previous recorded tracks.
Old 07-24-2019, 04:58 PM

For those puzzled by the "recording without headphones remark by another poster above. It was clear to me.

If you setup with a mic or mics and record your acoustic guitar and or vocals in one pass (not an unlikely scenario for some here) latency isn't an issue. You "monitor" your playing and singing the same as you do when you aren't recording with the ambient sound of your playing.

The same can apply to an old-fashioned "band in the room" recording were the band (of any size) just plays in the room and listens to each other directly, not via a track by track mix on headphones.

Overdubbing, or building songs track by track? Yes, latency can be an issue. Add virtual instrument, amp sims or effects to that, even more so.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 07-24-2019, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedown View Post
Are any of you GarageBand users experiencing any of the glitches that I am?

Beyond the latency, which I attribute to my iMac, not GB, there are other frustrations. For one, even though I've got all my ducks in a row, there will be no signal in, until I quit and reopen the session - sometimes it takes 3 or 4 tries - until signal in appears. Same problem with sound out, when I want to listen.

I use GB mainly as a sketchpad for (singer/songwriter) song ideas, so never use loops or drums and rarely any amp effects. It's pretty much mic in.

I'd upgrade to Logic, but my ol' iMac probably couldn't handle it.
I have had one significant glitch with Garageband, not the same as yours, but also requiring quitting Garageband and then reopening it. My issue happens with some projects when I open them after working on a different project. When the session loads into Garageband it freezes up as soon as I start play or record. Quitting and then reopening Garageband resolves the issue. I haven't done much recording yet with Logic, but I've not encountered that problem when using it.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 07-25-2019, 02:30 PM

Coming 2 weeks late......

I upgraded to Logic about 10 years ago, and I echo all the good things that have been said about it here. In that time I've only scratched the surface of Logic's features (I've never used the electric guitar amp modelling features, for example).

And I always record "dry" (no plug-ins). And I've never had a latency issue.

Enjoy!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD