The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-09-2023, 03:20 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,933
Default Received my Replacement Donner Rising G Pro

This once doesnít have the rattling resonance of the first, but the action is still very high at 3.5mm on the low e. I feel sorry for a beginner getting one set up like this. Iím waiting to hear from Donner about what they suggest. If nothing, Iím returning it. The Enya for $599 is way nicer AND has electronics.IMG_3628.jpg

Last edited by DavidE; 01-09-2023 at 07:24 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-09-2023, 04:09 PM
Chipotle Chipotle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1,897
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
This once doesnít have the rattling resonance of the first, but the action is still very high at 3.5mm on the low e. I feel sorry for a beginner getting one set up like this. Iím waiting to hear from Donner about what they suggest. If nothing, Iím returning it. The Enya for $599 is way nicer AND has electronics.
Is is something that can be fixed by lowering the saddle height? You said the saddle was very tall--lots of lower end guitars ship with a taller-than-necessary saddle. I guess they figure it's easier to lower it than ship with "low" action that somebody wants to raise. That was true of an Ibanez AC340 I bought a couple years ago--not 3.5mm high, but definitely higher than it needed to be for good action. A little sandpaper took care of things.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-09-2023, 07:25 PM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,933
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Is is something that can be fixed by lowering the saddle height? You said the saddle was very tall--lots of lower end guitars ship with a taller-than-necessary saddle. I guess they figure it's easier to lower it than ship with "low" action that somebody wants to raise. That was true of an Ibanez AC340 I bought a couple years ago--not 3.5mm high, but definitely higher than it needed to be for good action. A little sandpaper took care of things.


Maybe. But it would take a LOT of sanding and Iím concerned it may make it nonreturnable. Iíll sit down and compare it to my other carbon fibers and see if itís worth messing with. But man, they should not go out like this. After I posted, I checked the neck relief. It needs tightening big time.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2023, 08:53 AM
Captain Jim Captain Jim is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tropical Tip of Texas
Posts: 6,726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
Maybe. But it would take a LOT of sanding and Iím concerned it may make it nonreturnable. Iíll sit down and compare it to my other carbon fibers and see if itís worth messing with. But man, they should not go out like this. After I posted, I checked the neck relief. It needs tightening big time.
If they can't be bothered with a decent set-up before a guitar goes out, what else might be off with the build?
__________________
Some CF, some wood.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-13-2023, 12:22 AM
DavidE's Avatar
DavidE DavidE is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 3,933
Default

I got it playing really well and it was pretty easy. I tightened the hell out of the truss rod and there's still some relief. Don't think I can get it flat. But the main thing is that they put THREE shims under the saddle. THREE! One very thin and two fairly thick. The action was way too low with all three out, so I tried it with 1 shim and it was still really low. Then I tried a couple of combinations of two and I think it's good to go. I've been stupidly busy, so I haven't played it for a few days. I'll check it out again tomorrow.

It doesn't sound nearly as good as my Enya X4 Pro or my Sable, but I want to compare it to my Journey OF660 and report.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-13-2023, 02:09 AM
mountainmaster mountainmaster is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 466
Default

Nice. Hopefully this one is a keeper.

I wonder if these guitars always leave the factory with shims. That would explain a lot. But then they had better put that in a manual in order to avoid returns due to extremely high action.
__________________
Emerald X30
Emerald X20 Nylon
Emerald X7 Nylon
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Taylor 522e 12-fret
Gitane DG-560 nylon
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Outdoor Guitalele
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-13-2023, 09:44 PM
steelvibe steelvibe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: my father's attic
Posts: 5,301
Default

Glad to hear a favorable report on this one! Interesting about the shims. I would think they wouldn't want the reputation of having the action of railroad tracks.
__________________
"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we should play guitar." -Anon
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Thread Tools





All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=