The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-08-2023, 04:32 AM

Elixir will be my pick. It colors the tone of my guitar the most comparing with other strings. I think it can somehow cover part of the tone of carbon fiber and make the guitar sound more like wooden guitar.

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten
Old 01-24-2023, 07:16 PM

Another vote for Retros.
Old 01-24-2023, 09:42 PM
Charter Member

I bought an APSE a couple of months ago. It has a very mellow sound, not bright at all. A few days ago I put on D’Addario XT PB. Brightened the tone a bit and made it sound even more like a wood guitar. Love ‘em.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasfan1 View Post
Elixir will be my pick. It colors the tone of my guitar the most comparing with other strings. I think it can somehow cover part of the tone of carbon fiber and make the guitar sound more like wooden guitar.

I can appreciate this comment. I discovered more "traditional" flavor when having DR Rares on my OF660. I love that monel rounds out any harsh overtones (which seem magnified with CF in general), and seem generally warmer once settled in. But a good set of phosphor bronze impart a more "traditional" tone. So I like both and for different reasons.

I also think strings are guitar specific. While my RainSong LOVED monels (and so did my ears), the OF660 does not sound as good with them. Something with a bit of bronze (Aluminum, Nickel, or Phosphor) seem better suited for it.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:54 AM

I have tried quite a few different strings on my Emerald X20 and John Pearse Phosphor Bronze 600L Lights sound the best to me, they really add a warmth that I couldn't get from others. Also relatively inexpensive. I mostly strum.
Old 01-26-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiberty View Post
My Rainsong Shorty has EXP-16s on her. Not sure what I will use when I run out of those. But, something Phosphor Bronze.

The 80/20 Elixirs used by the factory are simply god-awful sounding. Although to be fair to Elixir, I think that 80/20s of any manufacturer sound terrible on everything.
Boy, you’re in the minority on that one.
As a for instance, the Gibby J45 comes standard with those for a reason.
To each his own.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-26-2023, 07:19 PM

Using Martin Retros on my Rainsong Jumbo…
Old 01-26-2023, 09:10 PM

I went through a similar process with a CH-OM several years ago. I ended up settling on Martin Retros.

I started out with lights, which I liked a lot and then changed to a medium/light hybrid set called LJ's Choice MLJ13 (13/17/24/32/42/56, compared to 12/15/25/31/41/54 for lights). They made quite a difference, fattening up the trebles and giving a bit more oomph to the base, while still being pretty easy on my fretting hand.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:52 PM
Charter Member

I have two Rainsong dreadnoughts which seem quite different in tone to my ears. One is a H-DR1100N2 and the other a CO-DR1000NS. So a 14-fret hybrid and a 12-fret Concert series with the unidirectional carbon fiber top. The hybrid seems naturally brighter and the concert is warmer to slightly muddy with "warm" strings. I've tried several strings and currently use GHS Silk and Bronze (370ML) on the hydrid to warm it up, and D'Addario 80/20 Bronze (EJ11) to brighten up the 12-fretter. The hybrid is still brighter than the concert series, but now both sound like they are closer to middle of the tonal spectrum than with other strings I've tried.
Old 01-28-2023, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar4fun View Post
I have two Rainsong dreadnoughts which seem quite different in tone to my ears. One is a H-DR1100N2 and the other a CO-DR1000NS. So a 14-fret hybrid and a 12-fret Concert series with the unidirectional carbon fiber top. The hybrid seems naturally brighter and the concert is warmer to slightly muddy with "warm" strings. I've tried several strings and currently use GHS Silk and Bronze (370ML) on the hydrid to warm it up, and D'Addario 80/20 Bronze (EJ11) to brighten up the 12-fretter. The hybrid is still brighter than the concert series, but now both sound like they are closer to middle of the tonal spectrum than with other strings I've tried.
Strange. According to the blurb at the time the inclusion of glass fiber in both body and top was supposed to make the hybrid series sound warmer than pure carbon fiber.

Then again there was the concert hybrid which was the only one in the hybrid series with a unidirectional top and a hybrid body. I suppose technically that would be a hybrid hybrid. Anyone still with me?
Is that the one you have?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-28-2023, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
Strange. According to the blurb at the time the inclusion of glass fiber in both body and top was supposed to make the hybrid series sound warmer than pure carbon fiber.

Then again there was the concert hybrid which was the only one in the hybrid series with a unidirectional top and a hybrid body. I suppose technically that would be a hybrid hybrid. Anyone still with me?
Is that the one you have?
The specs I've read says the 14-fretter has carbon/glass fiber for both the body and the top. The specs for the 12-fretter says it has an all-graphite unidirectional carbon top and an all-graphite body. It could also be the 12-fret configuration that gives it additional warmth and makes the 14-fret hybrid sound bright by comparison. I have not heard an all carbon non-unidirectional carbon top dreadnought played live for a comparison.
Old 01-31-2023, 11:41 AM

Default A vote for Retros

Martin Retros(custom Lights)have been my choice for 9+ years on my Rainsong HDR 1000.
Not pricey.
Great string life as well.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 01-31-2023, 07:00 PM

Over the last few years I’ve been using Elixir Polyweb and Nanoweb strings on my guitars (including the carbon fiber guitars). I’ve been happy with the sound and longevity of the strings. Having said that, reading this thread has got me interested in trying the Martin retros. I saw an interview with Laurence Juber where he talked about these strings. I just ordered some .013-.056 LJ’s choice Martin retro strings and will post after comparing them with my Elixirs.
Old 02-03-2023, 09:32 AM

Rainsong Dread (carbon top)..I have a couple of packs of Martin Authentic Acoustics (lite-.10’s) strings.
Are they even worth trying on this instrument? I have used .11’s on a few acoustics and thought they had good tone, but never .10’s or Martin Authentic Acoustics.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbigfly View Post
Rainsong Dread (carbon top)..I have a couple of packs of Martin Authentic Acoustics (lite-.10’s) strings.
Are they even worth trying on this instrument? I have used .11’s on a few acoustics and thought they had good tone, but never .10’s or Martin Authentic Acoustics.
11's are the lightest I would go.
I think my Rainsong sounds best with 12's, but my old hands like the 11's for playing comfort.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber