The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-02-2023, 11:34 PM

Default Journey Collapsible OF660

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
Is the neck of a collapsible guitar as stable as a guitar with a neck that you can't take apart?

Rock solid. Journey claims they put one R&D model through 10K neck breakdowns when dialing in the joint. I think they could be literally bullet proof and might be one of my biggest exceptions to my liking of that model. It is heavy for such a smallish guitar, I suspect much of that due to the neck mechanism. If there was a way to keep that stability while making it lighter, it would certainly couldn't hurt.

BTW, I'll often find my guitar after a neck reattachment to show each string either dead on in tune or within a few cents. Not even kidding.

Last edited by steelvibe; 01-03-2023 at 11:20 AM.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
...Journey claims they put one R&D model through 10K neck breakdowns when dialing in the joint...
After which, the person assigned to do that probably had their own breakdown
Old 01-03-2023, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
After which, the person assigned to do that probably had their own breakdown

Hopefully it was a team, but yes, give that guy or gal a raise!
Old 01-03-2023, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Rock solid. Journey claims they put one R&D model through 10K neck breakdowns when dialing in the joint...
Assuming 30 seconds for each breakdown/assembly, that would be 3.47 days, working around the clock. Somehow, I was thinking this exercise would take months. Sounds like a good job for an intern.
Old 01-03-2023, 08:00 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

OK. So I'm getting the neck is very stable. That's good!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-03-2023, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

What do you think of Journey's locking tuners? I tried a set on one of my guitars, and took them off and went back to regular tuners. I don't recall what I didn't like about them.
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 01-03-2023, 09:21 PM

I played one for a week, one of the first in the US, so maybe things have changed some for the good. I was not impressed enough to say "Yes". Too quiet and too small to suit me. But there were things to like and you may be satisfied where I wasn't.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
What do you think of Journey's locking tuners? I tried a set on one of my guitars, and took them off and went back to regular tuners. I don't recall what I didn't like about them.
I'd seen an earlier post by @steelvibe re replacing the locking tuners with Gotohs. So I used those, mostly to reduce the weight at the headstock (the OF660 feels neck heavy), which helped. I replaced them with Gotoh Mini 510s and replaced the metal buttons with snakewood, which you can see in this thread:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/....php?p=7144892

Otherwise, the Journey locking tuners worked fine. But it works fine with non-locking tuners as well. Just depends on your preference.
Old 01-03-2023, 10:35 PM

I've tried 2 different locking sets and in the end decided on non- locking Gotoh 510s (my all time favorite tuners). With the retainer at the nut I found that the locking mechanisms were unnecessary; they weight the neck down more and the Journey tuners would "slip" occasionally and not hold the already very short string. Tightening the Journey tuners was hard to do and I found I needed to use a microfiber towel during string changes to really ratchet them down.

The retainer keeps things wrapped around the posts just fine, even when wearing round core strings. Once I discovered this I just went all out and purchased the 510s.
Old 01-04-2023, 03:51 AM

I went down the rabbit hole of looking for lighter tuners. In the end I kept the original locking tuners on. They have been flawless, they are smooth and stable. I have done many string changes, chasing the tone I am after with no tuner issues what so ever.

Last edited by DownUpDave; 01-07-2023 at 04:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Thanks again to all for all the informationl. Journey has a 7 day return policy, so I may give it a try.
Old 01-05-2023, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks again to all for all the informationl. Journey has a 7 day return policy, so I may give it a try.
Hi Karen-

Amazon sells it for the same price, with a longer return period. I had no problems returning one of the two OF660s I bought.

Or, does Journey not charge sales tax?

Last edited by KevinH; 01-05-2023 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Kevin. I haven't checked yet whether Journey charges sales tax. I'll find out.
Old 01-06-2023, 09:46 AM

I actually took mine out to play around with yesterday and man, I still love it. It's older, so the craftsmanship of the carbon fiber isn't on par with Emerald, McPherson, Rainsong or others, but I believe I read that they've really improved. It sounds and plays great.
Old 01-21-2023, 02:54 AM

In my initial response I was a bit critical of the tone. It is a small guitar so we can't expect a big guitar sound. I recently installed a set of Elixir Nanoweb PB mediums 13-56 and I am very pleased with the tone I am getting from these. Because the scale length is only 24-1/2" the tension is not that high but they seem to be driving the top more and like it.

We are down in Mexico for one month and flying with it is so easy. The case is great, high quality construction with well designed pockets. It's nice to have a guitar sitting in the corner of the room ready to play with no worries about the heat and humidity effecting it. Exactly what it was designed for.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber