The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 10-01-2022, 12:09 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Billy Strings & Jackson Browne Playing "Running on Empty."

Pretty cool version. Billy wails.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:20 PM
Charter Member

That was awesome! You know you’ve arrived when Jackson Browne sings backup for you on one of his songs! Such a timeless tune, and imo it sounds best stripped down, acoustic—just like that.
Old 10-01-2022, 01:07 PM

Glad to see them keeping that love alive. Awesome! Thanks Scott.
Roger
Old 10-01-2022, 01:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
That was awesome! You know you’ve arrived when Jackson Browne sings backup for you on one of his songs! Such a timeless tune, and imo it sounds best stripped down, acoustic—just like that.
That's hilarious, Sin, and so true -- Jackson Browne singing b/u for you on his own song! Hah!

Can anyone tell what guitar Billy is playing? I can't quite make out the logo. I'm assuming Pre-War or Preston Thompson.

BTW, I've been going to Jackson's shows for over forty years, and the band he has with right now is right up there with the glory days of Lindley and the Section and those guys.

I saw them a month ago at Humphrey's in San Diego (what a venue), and they were incredible. His two sidemen -- Val McCullum and Greg Leisz -- are amazing. On the night I saw them, the two girls in back handled all the harmonies, so this freed up both these guys to really do their thing. What a unit!

But yeah, Billy's arrive -- although I think it's safe to say Billy arrived before this duet with Jackson. I hope he keeps his stuff together and takes care of himself. Billy's a bit of a wild child, and I worry about him. One thing I admire about Jackson is how well he's taken care of himself. Of that whole Laurel Canyon crew, he and maybe Bonnie Raitt are the only ones who didn't try to destroy themselves. He's smart, funny, brilliant and sane.

sm
Old 10-01-2022, 01:41 PM
Musical minimalist

Somewhat of a passing of the torch there - and one of the coolest I"ve seen in a while.

I'm assuming that's Val playing the other guitar out of the frame?
They could have shown him too - poor guy!

Saw Jackson on that tour in '78 - still one of the best shows ever - remember it like yesterday - Rosemary Butler just belting it out!

Billy is making Michigan proud - an amazing talent. I'm glad he seems to have found himself, I think I read a couple years back he was having some "growing pains"

Hope he's around for a long, long time - and JB too!

Old 10-01-2022, 02:26 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
Somewhat of a passing of the torch there - and one of the coolest I"ve seen in a while.

I'm assuming that's Val playing the other guitar out of the frame?
They could have shown him too - poor guy!

Saw Jackson on that tour in '78 - still one of the best shows ever - remember it like yesterday - Rosemary Butler just belting it out!

Billy is making Michigan proud - an amazing talent. I'm glad he seems to have found himself, I think I read a couple years back he was having some "growing pains"

Hope he's around for a long, long time - and JB too!
Thanks for your post, Fitness.

Can't say for sure who that second acoustic is, but if it's one of JB's band members, it's much more likely to be Greg Leisz. Val almost never plays acoustic with Jackson; all those roles have been relegated to Greg -- dude plays EVERYTHING, like Lindley before him. Val is pretty much the electric guy, switching between his Tele and other axes.

sm
Old 10-02-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Yep - this is a pretty cool video! Nice to see/hear the two of them together; as some have said, "the old and the new"...

I actually thought it was a fiddle player that was off camera and off-mic? Whoever it is is not coming through the mix at all... could be Greg, I guess; his playing on any instrument is frequently SO understated that it's hard to pull him out of the mix to say, "Oh, that's what he plays like!".

Greg is an old friend from back in the first houseful of musicians in which I lived... it is so wonderful to see him having the success he's having... worked hard for it, and there really is not a nicer guy out there! Pedal steel, lap steel, Weissenborn, mandolin (on that nifty one-off recording of Dylan's!), acoustic and electric guitars... seems like anything with strings! Terrific player, Greg Leisz... I am particularly fond of his work with Bill Frisell, especially "Good Dog, Happy Man"...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 10-02-2022, 05:48 PM

Stumbled across this one earlier today. Love it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN