The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 07:37 AM

I've tried the barrier system before and may have to again. Because they're inside I'll probably have to put it in multiple places since I don't know exactly where they're getting in. I decided to hold that method until I absolutely have to but I'm almost there.
Old 08-02-2022, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
1. We had a plumber in our house for EIGHT DAYS SOLID.

Now he's chasing me for the money for the job that he hasn't resolved.

Probably going to cost me twice as much, and more aggravation!

2. I had to have Rupert put down after the drugs that the vets gave him drove him crazy (ok crazier). I really miss the crazy furry guy.

3. A nearby neighbour has a dog that barks loudly at periods day and night. How can a dog be happy if it has to do that? n.b. Neighbour is about 300lbs - aggressive and all muscle (including head!)

4. My Financial Advisor for about 15 years has promoted himself to the big boss and no longer seeing clients. The woman he's passed me onto doesn't seem to understand the situation. This has been going in since early June. I still can't get her to action some simple stuff and is costing me money!

5. I bought a new brush cutter/strimmer for the allotments. It was too heavy fore me to handle. I've had backache since I first started it up . I sold it last week, via facebook marketplace, losing on the deal, then found out I'd sold it to another musician that I don't really like!

On the other hand: I've has sepsis, peritonitis, pneumonia (twice) measles chicken pox, shingles, bronchiecstasis, heart failure, and cancer.

When I wake up in the mornings I check to see what is working and if anything has fallen off, and think:
Wow,I'm still alive! I'm pretty grateful all things considered.
Lived-in same house for 22 yrs. Neighborhood used to be quiet, now daily hours of polluting noisy landscaping machines, non stop. New neighbor next door, 3 dogs constantly barking, day and night. Talked to new neighbor, she slams her door in my face. Found an MP3 of dogs barking and ran a speaker out to the yard and cranked it towards her windows. Her dogs are quiet and she apologized to us. Thank goodness for music technology!
Old 08-02-2022, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

…yesterday I woke up to find that a varmint got into the hen house and slaughtered a chicken in the most gruesome way possible…..a few hours later I took my dog for a hike we do regularly and two huge guard dogs that have never been there bolt out of a barn and pin my dog and I against a fence….I had to fight them off while I managed to open the gate for our escape….I was afraid to leave the house for the rest of the day…..
Old 08-02-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
+1

While my adult son and his fashionista GF are comfortably aligned with my outlook on many/most topics, I must be careful expressing views on a couple of things. One being, "What happened, did she run over those jeans with a lawnmower?"
I grew up poor. Like low, low middle class.
Having a new pair of jeans was a treat.
My mom would hand sew patches over all holes and tears.
Old 08-02-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdeane View Post
I've tried the barrier system before and may have to again. Because they're inside I'll probably have to put it in multiple places since I don't know exactly where they're getting in. I decided to hold that method until I absolutely have to but I'm almost there.

You could start by making barriers around the places they should keep out off. That alone should reduce the invasion as ants that find interesting food sources go back home and bring back their BFFs (so if none make it back home...)
Old 08-02-2022, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolph View Post
Found an MP3 of dogs barking and ran a speaker out to the yard and cranked it towards her windows. Her dogs are quiet and she apologized to us. Thank goodness for music technology!
LOL. Couple years back neighbours (who were rarely there) found an acoustic guitar and started doodling with it outside, evidently over speakers because that's so much more fun. I gave it some time, then put a speaker against an open window they couldn't see from their garden and played a guitar or lute recording I didn't mind listening to, loudly. I think they got the message - after a while.

When living in Paris I had a 1 bedroom rental (called a "studio" here) in a 1920s building that had very thick walls but sonically almost transparent floors between appartments. One night the guy downstairs (streetlevel) treated the entire street to the celebration of his b'day, windows wide open, music blaring and the fauna present out-yelling it. No apologies beforehand, so cops were called (several times). I still cherish a recording where you can hear us talking quietly, the banging on who-knows-what and scandalous texts being "sung" and then the effect of the cops leaning in through the open windows, sometime after 2.

Talking about cops ... for a while we lived next to a house that had fallen into ruins, along a con****ed little passage. Dangerous structure, so when I saw a group of youngish teenagers go in and not come out I called the gendarmes to let them decide what had to be done. They came right away, plucked the kids out of the ruins, then called their parents to come collect their offspring plus a lecture on education. I was impressed, TBH (and the kids never came back AFAIK).
Old 08-02-2022, 11:58 AM

All of France is out of mustard. I think that goes pretty much for Europe in general, actually.

What am I going to put on my sausages and “frites” now? Waaaaah. <sniff>

Old 08-02-2022, 01:13 PM
Guitar Gourmet

i spent yesterday evening alternately laying on the couch, being profoundly nauseated but trying not to throw up, and then sprinting to the bathroom when throwing up seeming eminent, but with no success. I didn't know whether to be happy or sad. It is a medicine reaction that happens every couple of months. It seems to be a decent trade-off for the issues the medicine prevents.

Incident ticket closed. That's all I got.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-02-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
All of France is out of mustard. I think that goes pretty much for Europe in general, actually.

What am I going to put on my sausages and “frites” now? Waaaaah. <sniff>
Catsup/ketchup? Probably too American.
Malt vinegar? Probably too British.
Mayonnaise? Probably too bland…and then there’s that weird thing about mayo’s origination (developed as a cooking sauce for fish).
How about pico de gallo or some other variant of Mexican salsa?
Dang.
Just don’t know what else might be in short supply over there.

Dirk
Old 08-02-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
Mayonnaise? Probably too bland…and then there’s that weird thing about mayo’s origination (developed as a cooking sauce for fish).
Did you ever make mayo? Egg yolk, oil, seasoning (including mustard). AFAIK prices of all recommendable vegetable oils have gone through the roof thanks to a certain event ...
Old 08-02-2022, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

today I logged onto an Acoustic Guitar forum and found this thread. Imagine my disappointment...
Old 08-02-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJVB View Post
Did you ever make mayo? Egg yolk, oil, seasoning (including mustard). AFAIK prices of all recommendable vegetable oils have gone through the roof thanks to a certain event ...
IIRC, the essential ingredients are egg yolk, oil and some form of acid (vinegar or lemon juice). "Seasoning" beyond that? That's optional, and a matter of local or personal taste and custom. In any case, I didn't mean to be insensitive (after all, I started this venting thread). When Aimelie said France was out of "mustard" my mind immediately went to mustard seeds, not oils. Bad assumption on my part...sorry. Now that you've clarified that vegetable oils of all kinds are the rarities, that rather lets out a lot of potential options for her sausage and frites...though pico de gallo might still be in the running if there's a source for locally grown chiles, onions and tomatoes.

All right. Enough of that. Nothing more to see here. Back to venting.

Dirk
Old 08-02-2022, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
today I logged onto an Acoustic Guitar forum and found this thread. Imagine my disappointment...
Quite right. The OP should be soundly thrashed for starting such a thing.
Oh wait.
That's me.
Yet another mea culpa moment.

Dirk
Old 08-02-2022, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
IIRC, the essential ingredients are egg yolk, oil and some form of acid (vinegar or lemon juice).
You're right, I forgot the acid.
AFAIK only (the ingredients for) sunflower and colza oil come from Ukraine; their scarcity has made the other, usually more expensive oils become even more expensive.

But we can't vent about that here...
Old 08-02-2022, 05:31 PM

One special treat I always enjoy during the TV weather forecast is the way meteorologist, mouth babbling at twice the speed of his brain, will at intervals pause mid-sentence to swallow the build-up of phlegm in his tubes!
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic