The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-09-2023, 01:14 PM

Default Advice on short scale, beveled CF guitars...

I've got a buddy who loves my emerald x7, but it's outside his price range. Any recs on other things somewhat similar that he might love?
Old 01-09-2023, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BongoSTL View Post
I've got a buddy who loves my emerald x7, but it's outside his price range. Any recs on other things somewhat similar that he might love?

Journey OF660 can be bought new for $1350 and used for less. Not everyone's cup of tea but you won't find anything cheaper with a bevel that I'm aware of.
Old 11-03-2023, 07:38 AM
Charter Member

I have a CA Cargo and like it a lot for my travel/camping guitar. While I have not played an X7....I understand that it compares well. Here is a thread discussing them....
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=509251
Collings 290, Suhr Antique Classic Limited Edition Roasted, PRS Silver SkyFender Super Champ XD, Boss Katana 100, Helix Floor
Old 11-03-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
I've owned both, and have the same conclusion as everyone else. Cargo for tone and X7 for scale length.
We happen to own a Peavey Cargo and two older "version 2" X7's (smaller body, forward facing sound hole) from pre-2018. Both are quite nice. I agree with this quote from the other thread. The Cargo sounds way better than such a small body should, but the 22.75" scale is rather cramped versus the 24" scale of the X7 (also short-ish). Each by itself sounds great but when side-by-side most players would probably choose the Cargo for tone. In rough tonal terms, the Cargo is Martin-like while the X7 is more Taylor-y.

Emerald will build a custom X7 with longer scale length per the 3D builder, but that adds quite a bit of cost -- going the wrong way for your friend. Other than the Journey mentioned and the X7, I am not aware of a carbon fiber short scale guitar. McPherson Touring is 22.75" just like the Cargo, so quite short. I don't keep up on the Enya or other pseudo-CF guitars with injection molded plastic bodies.

One of the cheaper options on the market is a Taylor Academy 12 which is a small GC body with 24-7/8" scale and has body bevels, for less than four figures. It is all wood, so not as durable and carefree as CF, but still quite a nice guitar. I'm always tempted whenever playing one but there is absolutely no need for any more wood guitars in this household.
Old 11-03-2023, 02:52 PM
Charter Member

Enya x4 pro mini is shorter scale and a very nice guitar at a nice price point.

It isn't fully beveled like an emerald but incorporates moderate edge rounding and assymetry in the body sort of like a Manzer Wedge but by having a size difference in the lower bout width between back and front instead of top to bottom.

Main possible deal breakers would be nut width (narrow) and it's a bit on the heavy side. They also are a bit inconsistent on setup but the good news is you just order on Amazon and send it back for a different one if the one you get has issues and you don't want to do the setup yourself.

I have multiple Emeralds a Journey an Enya X4 Pro full size and have had a BlackBird El Capitan as well as Klos. The Enya has one of the better sounds of the bunch (slightly below the Emerald in my experience) but better than all the others. The Klos is also shorter scale as another option in the same price point. Nice and light super easy to play but I don't like the tone as much as my Enya.

It looks like they now also have an updated x3 pro mini for $399 which seems like a ridiculous good deal if it's anywhere near as good as the x4.

Last edited by Aspiring; 11-03-2023 at 03:01 PM.
Old 11-03-2023, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensmith View Post
I have a CA Cargo and like it a lot for my travel/camping guitar. While I have not played an X7....I understand that it compares well. Here is a thread discussing them....
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=509251
May be worth noting that the referenced thread was from early enough in 2018 that the current version of the X7 hadn’t hit the street yet, so that was a comparison of the previous version of the X7, with the front facing sound hole. Having owned both, the newer X7, with a sound hole that faces both out and up, sounds considerably fuller to the player’s ear. There’s much less difference heard from several feet in front of the guitar, but the player’s initial impression of the sound is much more impressive with the current version of the X7 than the version referred to in that thread. I’ve yet to play a cargo, so can’t compare either X7 to a Cargo.

-Ray
Old 11-05-2023, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
It looks like they now also have an updated x3 pro mini for $399 which seems like a ridiculous good deal if it's anywhere near as good as the x4.
Thanks for the heads-up for the X3 Pro Mini. I'm really happy with my Nova Go SP1, but has considered the X4 Pro Mini as It would like to have something bigger (3/4). The regular soundhole of the X3 should have the benefit of allowing a magnetic soundhole pickup to be used. And the soft case look similar to their 2nd gen case for the Nova Go, and that case is great.

Looking forward to reviews of the X3 Pro Mini 2023.

https://www.enya-music.com/products/x3-pro-mini
Old 11-05-2023, 07:57 AM

I’m thinking selling my Journey OF660. Matte Orange. PM if interested. I am looking to buy a McPherson Touring or Emerald X7.

Been very pleased with the OF660. I had a local luthier do a great setup.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber