The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2022, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Na replying in kind to a cliche is totally fair game it's an internet forum not a formal debating club

Except that if you understood where the cliché comes from, you would also have understood that it was you (not me) who suggested that other people‘s opinions were a “a tale told by an idiot“.

Wink wink
Old 10-06-2022, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Beamish View Post
Except that if you understood where the cliché comes from, you would also have understood that it was you (not me) who suggested that other people‘s opinions were a “a tale told by an idiot“.

Wink wink
Well said.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-06-2022, 08:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Wink wink
Totally wrong I neither suggested nor implied any such thing and NO I don't know or care about the play or any part other than exactly what I offered one cliche for another. You are swatting at flies that do not exist ..
I replied to the post quoting me that proffered the cliche "These gentlemen doth protest too much, methinks! " with the cliched , "sound and fury signifying nothing" quote in regards to my post that rebutted the notion it is unprecedented behavior (nothing more nothing less )

That you took it upon yourself and decided to jump into an exchange that did not involve you and read in implications involving the rest of McBeth is on your nickel not mine.

I do not need nor would I employ insult to offer counterpoint to the arguments about smart phones being the hallmark of the downfall of civilization . I respect the concern and there is certainly merit in noting how the convenience of the device is driving a rapid shift in behavior I just think the notion that its is unprecedented is mistaken or that the tech is "the cause" of any perceived downward spiral of behavior , is an incomplete notion...

If you choose to be insulted by "sound and fury" then just substitute "Much ado about nothing" instead, just the title not the rest of the play because there is no unstated implication...... While others may practice that kind of cowardly subterfuge of implication I do not ..If I think you are wrong I will clearly state "You are wrong" .... Or "You are mistaken"

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 10-06-2022 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Well said.
If ill considered

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 10-06-2022, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Totally wrong I neither suggested nor implied any such thing and NO I don't know or care about the play or any part other than exactly what I offered one cliche for another. You are swatting at flies that do not exist ..
I replied to the post quoting me that proffered the cliche "These gentlemen doth protest too much, methinks! " with the cliched , "sound and fury signifying nothing" quote in regards to my post that rebutted the notion it is unprecedented behavior (nothing more nothing less )

That you took it upon yourself and decided to jump into an exchange that did not involve you and read in implications involving the rest of McBeth is on your nickel not mine.

I do not need nor would I employ insult to offer counterpoint to the arguments about smart phones being the hallmark of the downfall of civilization . I respect the concern and there is certainly merit in noting how the convenience of the device is driving a rapid shift in behavior I just think the notion that its is unprecedented is mistaken or that the tech is "the cause" of any perceived downward spiral of behavior , is an incomplete notion...

If you choose to be insulted by "sound and fury" then just substitute "Much ado about nothing" instead, just the title not the rest of the play because there is no unstated implication...... While others may practice that kind of cowardly subterfuge of implication I do not ..If I think you are wrong I will clearly state "You are wrong" .... Or "You are mistaken"

If you are going to use literary references to discount the opinions of others, it would be good to be literate yourself.
Old 10-06-2022, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

One of my pet peeves is watching a thread created (I think) to vent about day-to-day annoying stuff - like lousy drivers, TV remotes with 112 microscopic multi-function buttons and potato chip bags seemingly constructed of military-grade Kevlar - turn into what this one has become. Cyber sternum-tapping.

Eschew ponderous utilization of convoluted verbiage (and sub- sub- sub-references) when, perchance, a diminutive utterance might otherwise suffice.
Old 10-06-2022, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
If you are going to use literary references to discount the opinions of others, it would be good to be literate yourself.
You do realize it was ewalling that first attempted to use a lit phrase to "discount" (as you call it) my post . I simply shot back a quip in jest to reply to his discount ...

And "would be good" according to who ? Those phrases are often used in the common vernacular, and there is no literary knowledge requirement needed for their use, this is a forum, not a literature class.

In my opinion "it would be good" to discuss and or reply to things I actually did say,, as opposed imagining things I did not

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-06-2022 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 01:48 PM

Plastic bags when I go to Publix.

Sometimes I'll buy 12 items and get something like 6 plastic bags because, seemingly, a carton of milk cannot be put in the same bag as raw vegetables or whatever. Is this a nationwide thing, or is it just Miami? These days, I try to pre-empt it by telling the bagger not to start a new bag until he's (all the baggers are male, for some reason) filled one up.

Last edited by ewalling; 10-07-2022 at 04:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
One of my pet peeves is watching a thread created (I think) to vent about day-to-day annoying stuff - like lousy drivers, TV remotes with 112 microscopic multi-function buttons and potato chip bags seemingly constructed of military-grade Kevlar - turn into what this one has become. Cyber sternum-tapping.

Eschew ponderous utilization of convoluted verbiage (and sub- sub- sub-references) when, perchance, a diminutive utterance might otherwise suffice.

Is this post also an example of sternum tapping? If not, how so?
Old 10-06-2022, 02:09 PM

Quote:
You do realize it was ewalling that first attempted to use a lit phrase to "discount" (as you call it) my post . I simply shot back a quip in jest to reply to his discount ...

And "would be good" according to who ? Those phrases are often used in the common vernacular, and there is no literary knowledge requirement needed for their use, this is a forum, not a literature class.

In my opinion "it would be good" to discuss and or reply to things I actually did say,, as opposed imagining things I did not

Because if you’re unaware of the meaning of the quote, you might end up communicating things you hadn’t meant to.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:20 PM

Quote:
If ill considered
Whatever you say.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 10-06-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Because if you’re unaware of the meaning of the quote, you might end up communicating things you hadn’t meant to.
Except I meant what I actually quoted in context .
"Or perhaps the notion that the cell phone and computer is the downfall of civilization , is sound and fury, signifying nothing"

If you decided to include to include some meaning beyond that,, that is on you me .

There is no possible way to guard against people imagining things you do not say from what you did say.

As I have repeatedly stated I agree the shift in behavior of phone use is concerning. I just disagree that is "unprecedented"
or that it is the major cause of a broader more complex issue of social discord

No matter how much you want to believe it is somehow my fault that you drew conclusions based on the unstated, you are mistaken..

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Last edited by KevWind; 10-06-2022 at 02:34 PM.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Except I meant what I actually quoted in context .
"Or perhaps the notion that the cell phone and computer is the downfall of civilization , is sound and fury, signifying nothing"

If you decided to include to include some meaning beyond that,, that is on you me .

There is no possible way to guard against people imagining things you do not say from what you did say.

As I have repeatedly stated I agree the shift in behavior of phone use is concerning. I just disagree that is "unprecedented"
or that it is the major cause of a broader more complex issue of social discord

No matter how much you want to believe it is somehow my fault that you drew conclusions based on the unstated, you are mistaken..

When you suggested that I was referring to other people as idiots, you were unaware that your own reference to “sound and fury” had already done so.

No biggie. Just saying.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:49 PM

Never mind all this arguing...what's the deal with airplane food? And what about those lines at the DMV?

I'm here all week!
Old 10-07-2022, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

1.The Kardashians
2. Magenta colored ink, which apparently is the backbone of any colored document.
3.# is no longer the pound sign

Get off my lawn….

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic