The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-02-2023, 07:57 PM

Default NGD: Boucher PS-SG-161 Private Stock Flamed Maple OM hybrid.

So I came home with this Boucher guitar today, even had my wife with me and she loves it, so win-win.

It's a Boucher Private Stock Maple OM hybrid, model PS-SG-161 with a beautiful flame maple back and sides, just stunning to look at but what's really great it sounds every bit as good as it looks. I wouldn't buy a guitar just on looks that's for sure. I played a bunch of other guitars while I was at this store and this one actually sounded the best to my ears and to my wife's. I was surprised to find that the maple back and sides didn't make the guitar sound bright or strident at all! I just guessed that it might be on the bright side but nope. Just sounds awesome!

I would characterize the sound as full, detailed and loud if you want it to be, it's just ridiculous really. It's as loud as a dreadnought if you dig into it. I was surprised that there wasn't a huge upcharge for the Private Stock flamed maple, it was reasonable so I went with it but man, the sound is where it's at.

I apologize if I didn't upload the photos properly, it's not for lack of trying, I'm not the best with photos and computers, so sorry about that.

https://imgbox.com/yweBhode

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ud?usp=sharing

Last edited by Burstbucker; 02-04-2023 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:30 AM

Unfortunately, the only picture I could see was the IMGBOX one. But I know how killer Boucher OMs are. I am glad you went ahead and bought that dream guitar. I do not think any other builder does OMs as well as Robin and his team. All of their guitars are amazing, to my ears, a bit above my pay grade, but I still love them.

I heard JP Cormier playing a Boucher maple jumbo recently, and that guitar sounded like something from Heaven, lol. And I bet yours is just as divine. Congrats!
Old 02-03-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post
So I came home with this Boucher guitar today, even had my wife with me and she loves it, so win-win.

I apologize if I didn't upload the photos properly, it's not for lack of trying, I'm not the best with photos and computers, so sorry about that.

You should *move* all of those photos to a new subfolder in your Google Drive, and then *share* (right-click menu item) and set it so anyone with the link can view the folder. Then copy the shareable folder link and paste just that here.
Old 02-03-2023, 08:39 AM

Yeah, sorry to say none of the pics worked except one. Anyway, pics or not, I get it as I did the exact same "journey" and ended up buying the very same model last summer. You'll love this guitar. Good choice (btw, my wife was with me too the day I bought mine and she went "wow, you should get this one").

Here's the specs:
https://boucherguitars.com/guitars/s...ies/ps-sg-161/
Old 02-03-2023, 09:28 AM

Man, I really know how to kill a NGD! Lol

No pictures, and for such a stunning looking guitar too, unacceptable! Lol

My wife really took a shine to this one of course because of the highly figured flamed maple, I wasn’t sold until I played the thing. Wheeewwww…..

I’ll try again this weekend to get some pictures up, sorry to waste everyone’s time clicking on this post.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:11 AM

It's definitely not a waste. Just to see your excitement at getting such a great guitar is what it's all about, man. Thanks for sharing!
Old 02-03-2023, 03:02 PM
Guest 61722

You don't mess around! Glad you got it and it's lovely!!!

Congratulations. Enjoy every second of playing it.
Old 02-04-2023, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burstbucker View Post

It's a Boucher Private Stock Maple OM hybrid, model PS-SG-161 with a beautiful flame maple back and sides, just stunning to look at but what's really great it sounds every bit as good as it looks. I wouldn't buy a guitar just on looks that's for sure. I played a bunch of other guitars while I was at this store and this one actually sounded the best to my ears and to my wife's. I was surprised to find that the maple back and sides didn't make the guitar sound bright or strident at all! I just guessed that it might be on the bright side but nope. Just sounds awesome!

I would characterize the sound as full, detailed and loud if you want it to be, it's just ridiculous really. It's as loud as a dreadnought if you dig into it. I was surprised that there wasn't a huge upcharge for the Private Stock flamed maple, it was reasonable so I went with it but man, the sound is where it's at.

https://imgbox.com/yweBhode

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ud?usp=sharing

Nice guitar!
Old 02-04-2023, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

The pictures in the 2nd link of your OP are working fine. Really nice guitar! I came across a similar flame maple Boucher (but a 12-fret 000) while visiting a shop in Santa Fe earlier this year. It would have gone home with me if I hadn't just bought a H&D from that shop a few weeks earlier. Good catch.
Old 02-04-2023, 03:20 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
The pictures in the 2nd link of your OP are working fine. Really nice guitar! I came across a similar flame maple Boucher (but a 12-fret 000) while visiting a shop in Santa Fe earlier this year. It would have gone home with me if I hadn't just bought a H&D from that shop a few weeks earlier. Good catch.
Thank you very much and sorry folks for the mess-up with trying to post some photos…. But I eventually got there. Lol
Old 02-04-2023, 03:41 PM

That maple is just jaw-dropping. Hopefully you can record something so we might hear how it sounds.
Old 02-04-2023, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railroad Bum View Post
That maple is just jaw-dropping. Hopefully you can record something so we might hear how it sounds.
Thanks very much!

I've never tried recording then uploading the sound but hopefully I'd have better luck with that than trying to post photos! LOL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion