The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-05-2023, 10:09 AM

Another factor is how common the guitar is regardless of quality. The more common, the more you can predict the eventually price because of the larger numbers of both sellers and interested buyers. Think Martin D28. On the other hand, my early Breedloves are far more rare but also have less general market demand because fewer folks know them well. There are hard core fans who highly value them, but if a seller doesn't connect with those more rare potential buyers the selling process, both timing and price, are much more variable and unpredictable.

Breedlove Revival DR Deluxe 2009, Jayson Bowerman ...(co-designer Preston Thompson)
Santa Cruz Model F, 1998, Richard Hoover
Yamaha LJ36, 2022, Hiroshi Sakurai
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Old 02-05-2023, 01:48 PM

Default This is how I see it

As used guitar being sold there is a guitar that they are going to increase in price so that they make a profit on it, where as most new guitars are limited as to what a deal can sell it for ( Martin says a D-18 must sell for this price and not below ).
Privately you are correct that it would be around the 40% mark but you have to realize the store has employee's insurance and building costs that they have to cover. So there is my opinion.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
Looking on Reverb, I am surprised at how close the asking price for used guitars is to brand new guitars, so very often. I would have thought a savings of about 25-40% would be common, but no!
I'm surprised too; that's why I've been buying new. I get my Martins at 20% off and without tax = 30% off. The used prices on Craigslist is actually higher.

But, the funny thing is, I'm unable to sell my used Martin guitars (< 1 year old) at 40-50% off (i.e. I take a little over 10-20% hit). So, the big question is: Are those sellers actually selling? I see the same Craigslist ads for months.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
I'm surprised too; that's why I've been buying new. I get my Martins at 20% off and without tax = 30% off. The used prices on Craigslist is actually higher.

But, the funny thing is, I'm unable to sell my used Martin guitars (< 1 year old) at 40-50% off (i.e. I take a little over 10-20% hit). So, the big question is: Are those sellers actually selling? I see the same Craigslist ads for months.
So you're buying new Martins at discounted prices, but losing money selling the old ones? Is this a sustainable condition?

Just curious - what makes a new Martin preferable to your < 1 year old Martins?
Old 02-05-2023, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
So you're buying new Martins at discounted prices, but losing money selling the old ones? Is this a sustainable condition?

Just curious - what makes a new Martin preferable to your < 1 year old Martins?
Ah, I think maybe I'm confusing people. Let me see if I can do better on 2nd try:

I buy new Martins at 30% discount (from a price somebody must pay if buying at their MAP). I then turn around and sell this Martin at 40-50% off (from a price somebody must pay if buying at MAP).

No, I don't think a guitar that I've used for a year is better than new; especially, you lose the manufacturer warranty on it.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

If you register with Reverb.com you can then access their tracking of the selling price of most listed items. I don't know whether this will answer the question of why something is 'worth' a particular price, but it will give you data on what is being paid for an item.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Guitars are built to be generational meaning they should last forever. Theoretically a used guitar in excellent condition is just as good as a brand new guitar so it should be the same value.

The only thing you get when you buy new is the satisfaction of knowing you are the first owner. And you get a 1 year warranty, but how often have had to use a warranty?

So what's all that worth? Probably different depending on desire and availability.
Old 02-05-2023, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

You can wish for a $1700 D 18. Good luck. I saw one at $2000 six months ago. It sold in a day. $2300-2400 is the norm right now. I think the D 18 is a good benchmark to use.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 02-05-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardN View Post
Guitars are built to be generational meaning they should last forever. Theoretically a used guitar in excellent condition is just as good as a brand new guitar so it should be the same value.
This presumes consistency in manufacturing. I suspect pretty strongly that most brand new D-18’s are better instruments than a lot of them that Martin has put out in the past.
Old 02-06-2023, 07:58 AM

Last time I looked at GC they wanted 90-95% of new sale price in (Good condition- amps)
I look elsewhere...ever once in a while I make an offer at about 50% of retail, haven't bought anything yet lol
Old 02-06-2023, 08:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
You can wish for a $1700 D 18. Good luck. I saw one at $2000 six months ago. It sold in a day. $2300-2400 is the norm right now. I think the D 18 is a good benchmark to use.
Link below is a current agf listing 3+ weeks old for a no issues 2020 D18, $2050 paypal fees and shipping included, $1850 local pickup. Has not sold. Point being, the used market has shifted significantly in recent months. Not going to claim "nobody is buying" but will say it can seem like that for folks trying to sell at 2021 prices ... for example, $2300 - $2400 for a D18.

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663210

Goodall, Martin, Wingert

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion