The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-05-2019, 05:53 PM

Default Suggestions? Tunings for 12 string flatpicking and accomp.

I have a Guild 1512 12 string, which has a big jangly sound. I'm a fiddle player looking to get my guitar playing going again for flatpicking Celtic tunes and accompanying those and 60s/70s songwriter and folk stuff in bar sessions. I'm looking for a good tuning for that.

I tried New Standard Tuning - great open string sound, but big stretches in tunes and some 'interesting' chord shapes. I then tried a bit of DADGAD - great open string chord sounds on this guitar, but the whole tone gap between the G and A pairs throws me for picking fiddle tunes I already know.

Suggestions pllease, for a good compromise between playability, sound, and 'buskability' on accompanying new tunes and songs?

Thanks, Max
Old 11-05-2019, 05:56 PM

I like to use medium gauge strings and tune the 12 string down a step to D.
Then capo it back up to play in standard tuning
The simple drop D tuning now sounds great with the added bass.
It works well with songs in D tuning.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:43 PM

My twelver's usually stay in standard tuning, or maybe D-d standard minus one step with the next notch heavier strings. The few times I've tried them in Open D or Open G tuning it was just too much - too many open G strings or too many D strings. But that was for me.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:34 PM

I've always tuned at least a half step down till recently. I went a whole step down and changed strings to 9s. I know that sounds counterintuitive to achieving a fuller sound, but it works, at least on my Martin D12-20 (1970 build). It sings like the angels and is much easier to finger. I even capo the first fret and it makes playing barres so much easier.

An additional perk is, when I choose to sing, that Eb tuning is perfect for my voice.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxr View Post
I have a Guild 1512 12 string, which has a big jangly sound. I'm a fiddle player looking to get my guitar playing going again for flatpicking Celtic tunes and accompanying those and 60s/70s songwriter and folk stuff in bar sessions. I'm looking for a good tuning for that.

I tried New Standard Tuning - great open string sound, but big stretches in tunes and some 'interesting' chord shapes. I then tried a bit of DADGAD - great open string chord sounds on this guitar, but the whole tone gap between the G and A pairs throws me for picking fiddle tunes I already know.

Suggestions pllease, for a good compromise between playability, sound, and 'buskability' on accompanying new tunes and songs?

Thanks, Max
I explored (in my mind) tuning it in fifths like a fiddle, and don't think that is a good idea - too hard on the body (the guitar's body, that is) and worse on some strings. I keep mine in standard, but tuned D to D, using a capo once in a while. Sometimes I lower the bottom string a full pitch for a drop D sound. You could tune it Open G or Open D, but since I am used to playing fiddle tunes in standard, I don't think I would personally like that. (A few of the ones I play are in C and F.)

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:46 AM

I play blues, American primitive, slack-key and new age on my 12 strings. I have one in open D and 1 in open G, using Elixir 10-47 ( Nanoweb 10-47 Phosphor Bronze and Nanoweb 80/20 Bronze 10-47). I play finger style and bottleneck.

They are both tuned down 1 tone, as recommended by Paul Brett, who designed both guitars.

Both tunings suit the different styles.
MM Blues resonator
Seagull S6 Original
Old 11-06-2019, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

Hi Max,

I have a Guild F512 and I generally use standard tuning, tuned to concert pitch with a light gauge 12-string set like D'Addario EXP38.

I have tried DADGAD, dropped D, double drop D, open D and open G. They all sound good, but for me, standard tuning is really where I live. I don't know why that wouldn't work well for fiddle tunes.

THIS is a playlist of 25, 12-string songs I have done on my YouTube channel. It gives you a pretty good idea of how my 12-string sounds over a variety of strummed and finger picked songs.

All the best to you Max!

- Glenn
Old 11-06-2019, 02:49 PM

I tune to D# (half step down) with Elixir Light gauge 12 strings.

I use a G7th 12 string capo with compensated pad on fret 1 if I want to play in standard. This capo does NOT require retuning. It has a saw-tooth pad which puts equal pressure on all strings. Works with all 12 strings as long as the octave string is on top in the course pair.

I do not limit my playing to 'known' 12 string pieces. I play any song on whatever guitar I have in hand, including 12 stringers, which has led to some surprising results. Current favorites include playing "Walk Don't Run" and "Pipeline" solo on 12 string.

And give yourself a mental pat-on-the-back if you knew/recognize the opening bars of Roy Orbison's "Oh Pretty Woman" are played on an acoustic 12 string, supposedly by Roy, noodling around on a borrowed 12 string. Well the whole song is outstandoing on solo 12 too.

As a recent convert to DADGAD playing, I have given some thought to tuning a 12 string into a dedicated DADGAD guitar. If anyone has good results from this, please let me know. I already do keep a 6 string tuned to DADGAD.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 11-06-2019, 02:54 PM

The only modified tuning I used for a 12 string was double-drop-D, and that was mainly for strumming/comping. As for flatpicking fiddle tunes, you got to be picky and just pick the ones that work well in standard tuning. The only one I regularly play on my 12 string is "Devil's Dream" and that would be at a much slower speed than the good fiddlers in my area.
Old 11-06-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote "I use a G7th 12 string capo with compensated pad on fret 1 if I want to play in standard. This capo does NOT require retuning. It has a saw-tooth pad which puts equal pressure on all strings. Works with all 12 strings as long as the octave string is on top in the course pair."

I recently picked up one of these capos.
So far I'm very impressed with it.
The compensated pad does a great job of keeping all 12 strings in tune when the capo is in use.

I highly recommend the G7th Compensated Capo for 12 string guitars.
Old 11-06-2019, 03:24 PM
Charter Member

I tune my 1512 and 2512 down to Eb, because the acoustic trio that I play in tunes to Eb in order to be easier on our voices. It's certainly easier on my left-hand as well... considering that I play only 12-string in that group (we have 2 and 3 hour gigs). Lately, I've finally got the DADGAD bug on my 6-strings, so I've been wanting to try that on one of my 12s, but it's good info to hear that it might be too many Ds going-on there. I hadn't really considered that possible side-effect.

P.S. Another reason that I like leaving my 12-strings tuned to Eb is that I'm putting less tension on the bridge, so it's not as likely to lift or cause a hump in the soundboard. I may have to try the D mentioned above as well. Hadn't really considered that (though I certainly use drop-D quite a bit for certain songs that we play).
Old 11-06-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
I tune my 1512 and 2512 down to Eb, because the acoustic trio that I play in tunes to Eb in order to be easier on our voices. It's certainly easier on my left-hand as well... considering that I play only 12-string in that group (we have 2 and 3 hour gigs). Lately, I've finally got the DADGAD bug on my 6-strings, so I've been wanting to try that on one of my 12s, but it's good info to hear that it might be too many Ds going-on there. I hadn't really considered that possible side-effect.

P.S. Another reason that I like leaving my 12-strings tuned to Eb is that I'm putting less tension on the bridge, so it's not as likely to lift or cause a hump in the soundboard. I may have to try the D mentioned above as well. Hadn't really considered that (though I certainly use drop-D quite a bit for certain songs that we play).
I say D#, you say Eb. Twix ad anyone?

I've been playing 12 string for a while and it was originally recommended to tune down a whole step. Modern guitars are probably better made, but old habits die hard. And as you mentioned, it is not only easier on the guitar's string tension, but also on your fretting hand.

About the "too many D's" in DADGAD, the relative mix wouldn't be much different from a 6 to a 12. Also, the drone effect of the tuning fits very well with Celtic tunes, like mimicking the drones of the pipes. Since part of my inspiration for DADGAD derives from a recent listening binge of Tony McManus material and YouTube stuff, it also fits in quite well. Among my McManus YouTube favorites are 'Introduction to DADGAD', 'The Process of Arranging Celtic Melodies', and 'Celtic Fingerstyle Guitar'.

One song I've always done is "The Rising of the Moon", and doing a couple of slow upstroke strums in DADGAD to start it puts my ear right into a Gaelic mood. (I play it in D in DADGAD, and G in standard.) Might even play a jig or two to follow up.

I didn't mention it in this thread, but I fingerpick all my instruments, using my nails as picks. So that slow upstroke is done with the back of my thumbnail.

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo

Last edited by donlyn; 11-06-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:12 AM

Thanks for all that advice and info guys. Seems like more of you play in standard tuning or dropped standard tuning than open tunings or DADGAD. The tunes in sessions I play at tend to range across D, G, C, F, A, and relative minors and modes. So, there are lots of open chords available in standard tuning, as well as the inevitable barre Fs (my least favourite chord) and Bms. I guess that suits standard tuning quite well?
Old 11-07-2019, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxr View Post
Thanks for all that advice and info guys. Seems like more of you play in standard tuning or dropped standard tuning than open tunings or DADGAD. The tunes in sessions I play at tend to range across D, G, C, F, A, and relative minors and modes. So, there are lots of open chords available in standard tuning, as well as the inevitable barre Fs (my least favourite chord) and Bms. I guess that suits standard tuning quite well?
There are many advantages to standard tuning for sure. When you play with others and there are songs you don't know it's easy to follow just by watching the fingers, and if you learn your flatpicking tunes from TAB then most are in standard tuning as well. That's why it's called "standard".
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
I highly recommend the G7th Compensated Capo for 12 string guitars.
Great - do you use the lever type G7 12 string capo, or the more expensive D shape gate style one with the tensioning screw at the back and no others protrusions?

Thanks, Max

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write