The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-29-2019, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJE" View Post
Indeed, or Beethoven to learn to compose music.

I think I already knew what the problem was, just looking for confirmation
Right.
Remember, the kind of person who becomes a successful musician is someone who needs to be persuaded to stop practising now and then, not someone who needs to be persuaded to start.

That kind of person would practice all day, if they didn't occasionally have to eat, sleep, talk to another human being, etc.

Of course, that's the potential professional, not the happy amateur. But the point is still that you have to enjoy playing - to treat challenges as something exciting, not as a chore. Imagine a mountaineer saying: "oh that mountain is just too high, I can't be bothered."

Reasons to stop playing:
(1) it starts to hurt;
(2) you start to get bored;
(3) someone bursts in, grabs the guitar from your hands and screams "for chrissake stop playing that f***** thing!!!"
If none of those happen, just keep playing.... I mean, why wouldn't you?
If (1) or (2) happen after, say, 10 minutes, you're doing something wrong.

Of course, if you have a day job.... bad luck!

Last edited by JonPR; 10-29-2019 at 05:30 AM.
Old 10-29-2019, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
There is a belief that 10,000 hours are needed to be devoted to doing something if you want to become an expert or proficient at that thing. At 20 minutes per day, it will take you 82 years to become expert in guitar. There is nothing that replaces dedicated proper practice.
Twenty minutes a day is probably not enough but the 10,000 hour rule has been pretty well debunked too.

If you only have twenty minutes a day to practice I think you can eventually get okay at strumming some chords. If that’s truly all the time you have make the most of it. On the other hand, if you’re getting bored after twenty minutes, you’re doing something wrong.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write