The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-24-2020, 09:44 AM

Now that I am going back to the passive K&K, I will probably just stick with the Line 6 G10. I can say with complete confidence that, that wireless system has been flawless live. I know it doesn't work with all active pickups but it does oddly enough work with my active Godin mandolin.

I also have the WG5 and it's quite nice. I did have some issues with it distorting my Matrix pickup but I think my levels were just off a bit and the wireless was boosting the signal.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Xvive U2. I had two and both were not very good (drop outs, noise and interference). I also tried the Sennheiser system and it was nice but considering what you get with other systems at a much lower price, it kind of makes less sense to go for that unit.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Now that I am going back to the passive K&K, I will probably just stick with the Line 6 G10. I can say with complete confidence that, that wireless system has been flawless live. I know it doesn't work with all active pickups but it does oddly enough work with my active Godin mandolin.

I also have the WG5 and it's quite nice. I did have some issues with it distorting my Matrix pickup but I think my levels were just off a bit and the wireless was boosting the signal.

I personally wouldn't recommend the Xvive U2. I had two and both were not very good (drop outs, noise and interference). I also tried the Sennheiser system and it was nice but considering what you get with other systems at a much lower price, it kind of makes less sense to go for that unit.
I was reading that the G10 and G10S are being checked for a possible battery issue right now and they are hoping to start selling them again soon and will release a firmware update for the issue. I personally had too many drop outs with it.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:40 PM
Charter Member

No this is not the same as the systems that I am recommending. I tried this one and it wasn’t good for me.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:41 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm101 View Post
Thanks very much for your video. I went on Amazon and could not locate this particular system you speak of, WG5-- I see the others that you advise staying away from... Is there a link to this item? THX!
The link is on the description of my video.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
Definitely the xvives
I had noise and drop outs with the Xvive U2.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I was reading that the G10 and G10S are being checked for a possible battery issue right now and they are hoping to start selling them again soon and will release a firmware update for the issue. I personally had too many drop outs with it.
Interesting. Maybe they got a bad batch of batteries? I have the original G10 and haven't had any battery issues and I am yet to experience a drop out. Maybe the G10S has some kinks that they need to work out. I hope they do because I love the original. It's also the quietest wireless I have had.. zero noise.
Old 02-24-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
It's Journey guitar's own proprietary design--K&K mini clone--and comes installed on all their guitars. It's passive.

Somewhere on the forum someone discussed how to use active pickups with these in case there is an issue I'll see if I can find some reference to that.

*****Just found the post how to use an active pickup with any of these wireless clones:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...6&postcount=23

I doubt the wireless of the Ammoon is coloring the sound any differently than any of the others would. The harshness you are hearing is likely what your pickup produces--and likely related to being a hot active.

All of these wireless units basically broadcast the signal fed to it. Electrics will sound like electrics, acoustics, like the type of pickup being used.

I'm guessing the wireless circuit board & electronics likely have a single manufacturing source. If more than that, they've simply copied from each other. All of these "me too" units are from China. You choose the shell form that appeals most to you.

You might try another brand, and find there actually is a big difference. I don't think this will be true, but if so, let us know.

I'm happy enough with the Ammoon.

As a bonus, it came packaged much more nicely than I thought it would be.
Thanks AC. I compared the Ammoon with a cable and it is definitely more brittle than the Cable. I guess your saying my pickups may react this way with any wireless device since all my pickups are active? It is most noticeable with my Taylor since this pickup sounds better than my others.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Thanks AC. I compared the Ammoon with a cable and it is definitely more brittle than the Cable. I guess your saying my pickups may react this way with any wireless device since all my pickups are active? It is most noticeable with my Taylor since this pickup sounds better than my others.
I tested that wireless. It was noisy for me.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I'm content with the Ammoon. Beyond that, you'll have to do your own testing to see how you like others and to see how they work with the equipment you have.

In the end, all of our comments are our personal experience and how we hear the results from the units we purchased. From other comments already, I see people discussing differences in units by the same brand, or purchased at a different time period etc.

The circuit board or chip may be from a single source, but, for example, shielding might not be done as well one as the next, and that could even include the same model and make if the person assembling messed up just a bit with a single unit. That's why buying from somewhere with a good return policy is wise. None of these units are expensive because the parts, a jack, a board, a plastic housing...are super expensive.

In the end, the many, many different brands available, all with the essentially the same written specs, all coming from Chinese factories to meet a growing demand, mean there can be possible differences even in the same brand and model. The OP tested and liked the unit he tried and didn't like others. It doesn't mean that other units, even of the brand he prefers, are all perfect.....etc. You might buy his recommendation but might not be satisfied also.

I hope you find the right unit for your setup and needs.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm content with the Ammoon. Beyond that, you'll have to do your own testing to see how you like others and to see how they work with the equipment you have.

In the end, all of our comments are our personal experience and how we hear the results from the units we purchased. From other comments already, I see people discussing differences in units by the same brand, or purchased at a different time period etc.

The circuit board or chip may be from a single source, but, for example, shielding might not be done as well one as the next, and that could even include the same model and make if the person assembling messed up just a bit with a single unit. That's why buying from somewhere with a good return policy is wise. None of these units are expensive because the parts, a jack, a board, a plastic housing...are super expensive.

In the end, the many, many different brands available, all with the essentially the same written specs, all coming from Chinese factories to meet a growing demand, mean there can be possible differences even in the same brand and model. The OP tested and liked the unit he tried and didn't like others. It doesn't mean that other units, even of the brand he prefers, are all perfect.....etc. You might buy his recommendation but might not be satisfied also.

I disagree. All devices can break but the reason I started this post was to share the systems that I have found to be the best so far. It’s all based on personal experience but I am in a very WiFi dense area and have tried many pickups and many wireless systems. I stand by my original post but I will just add.... YMMV.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
I disagree. All devices can break but the reason I started this post was to share the systems that I have found to be the best so far. It’s all based on personal experience but I am in a very WiFi dense area and have tried many pickups and many wireless systems. I stand by my original post but I will just add.... YMMV.
Just to make it easier for those interested in your recommendation to get to the alternative you recommend, this is the link posted on your youtube channel so they can click and view directly. I did not see it listed as a direct link in any of the posts that I can recall.

https://www.amazon.com/5-8-GHz-Wirel...language=en_US
Old 02-25-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I think this is true of any product. There are those who will like something and others who won't. I do agree that a lot of these cheaper, Chinese units are probably coming from the same factory. However, for whatever reason, some just work better than others.

I also think we need to factor in professional vs. bedroom/basement players. I have a buddy who has the Xvive U2 and I owned two at one time (one was sent as a replacement for the first defective one). I found the Xvive system to be unusable, noisy and it had drop outs. I tested the one my buddy has and it had similar issues. For him though, it's perfect and he loves it because he doesn't gig. It's definitely all subjective.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:38 AM

Quote:
I had noise and drop outs with the Xvive U2.
Interesting..I have been lucky
Only use for gigging..max 45 ft for sound
checks..other than that 5ft
Old 02-25-2020, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

Thanks. Here is my link again:

https://amzn.to/2HLGRye

The reason I am pushing people to use the link in my video is so that I can update the link if that particular version goes out of stock or in case there is a cheaper seller.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Here is my link again:

https://amzn.to/2HLGRye

The reason I am pushing people to use the link in my video is so that I can update the link if that particular version goes out of stock or in case there is a cheaper seller.
Do you get a commission of any sort for these?
Just wondering.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification