The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-28-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scootch View Post
I grew up with it. My dad was a big country fan. I enjoyed it but didn't REALLY appreciate it until some years later.

And, while I am not a deeply religious person, I've always liked and have been touched by the gospel influences on bluegrass and old-timey.
Heck, I am an atheist and I love singing gospel/bluegrass tunes. Good music is good music.

Doerr/Taylor
Old 09-28-2014, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Yup, I'm from around London. Been playing in bluegrass bands and similar (on and off) since about 1975.

I love the power of a four/five piece, love the different disciplines, and the harmony vocals.

My current band - The Druthers Brothers" have just had (another) personnel change (being a mando player in our band is li9ke being a drummer in Spinal Tap!) but here is a bit of my previous band - way back in the last decade.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8A_IkBHfPk
Old 09-28-2014, 10:49 AM

I hate bluegrass..........Ahem..................NOT!! Actually I love BG more than any genre of music I've played in 50+ years of playing all kinds of music as a pro, semi-pro, and now a serious hobbyist. I simply can't get enough of it. I especially like the "neo-traditional" stuff. I can hold my own in about any situation as a guitar and mandolin flatpicker. Only been seriously playing BG about 5 years, although I dabbled in it in the '70s and '80s. I was a jazz swing and jump blues player for about 15-20 years before getting into BG. I've woodshedded a LOT in the last 5 years and managed to come a lonnnngggggg way in that amount of time. But I've worked very, very, hard at it. I believe the same as Tim Stafford of Blue Highway...talent is overrated. You'd be VERY surprised what you can accomplish with hard work and dedication. But, man, I love BG. Or did I already say that?

Tom
Old 09-28-2014, 11:22 AM

Check out The Barefoot Movement, one of the musical standouts at Larryfest (Wisconsin) for the last 2 years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lco9ErfiME#t=16

They are about 20x better live, well worth catching a show:

http://www.barefoot-movement.com/shows.html

Best…H
Old 09-28-2014, 11:24 AM

Man-O-man! I do love some bluegrass! I never cared for it until I started playing the guitar. Now it's probably 90% of what I play and listen to. Check out Della Mae and the Kruger Brothers. I saw them both at the Mountain Song Festival in Brevard, NC earlier this month. Both class acts.
I'll be in at the Wide Open Bluegrass festival in Raleigh. Can't wait!
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 09-28-2014, 11:25 AM

I will give Bill Monroe credit for starting bluegrass. That said, the artists of today have taken Bill's music to a new level.
Groups that I like include,
Hot Rise
New Grass Revival
Tony Rice
Ricky Skaggs
Blue Highway
Daily and Vincent
Norman Blake
Front Range
Alison Krauss
Old 09-28-2014, 11:37 AM

I'm a late-comer to the guitar and spent the first few years drifting around, wanting to play Neil Young, and blues and electric stuff, and never made much progress. Then I went to my first bluegrass festival and everything changed. That was four years ago. I have since been to lots of festivals, I've been taking lessons from a bluegrass teacher and made progress I would have never dreamed of. I'm writing songs, and just wrote my first fiddle tune just the other week, to the delight of my teacher. I live and breathe bluegrass, and getting involved in this kind of music has been the most life-changing experience for me so far. Something I find very special about bluegrass is the whole scene - we're all one big family. I can't think of any other genre where you get world-class artists to grab your guitar after their show, sit down with you and show you stuff. Or where you go back to the campground after a full day of seeing bands on stage, only to have them join around a campfire and jam until the sun comes up. My favorite kind of bluegrass is what's often called "progressive" bluegrass. Check out bands along the lines of Greensky Bluegrass, Chatham County Line, the Infamous Stringdusters, the Steeldrivers, Town Mountain, or Sweetwater Stringband.

Bluegrass is where it's at!

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 09-28-2014, 11:40 AM

Default Another fan of Bluegrass music

Studying flatpicking among other interests at 58!
Also love to hear and play Cape Breton fiddle tunes
Currently working on "Prince Charly"
Old 09-28-2014, 04:45 PM

Lightbulb

Thanks,
Am familiar with 90% of the groups mentioned. Have fun, you guys that are headed to Raleigh!! Check out Jerry Douglas's new group

http://youtu.be/eHJVmuai0Do

Snark Tuner
Old 09-28-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeirnes View Post
Heck, I am an atheist and I love singing gospel/bluegrass tunes. Good music is good music.
Amen, brother. The music is my religion. Here's a favorite:

http://youtu.be/N6Vraw5iOy0
Old 09-28-2014, 05:55 PM

I love Bluegrass! Not an expert on who's who or anything, but love me some Bluegrass music!!
Agile AL-3001 2TS
Peavey Valveking ii 20 MH
Yamaha HTR-10
Old 09-28-2014, 06:14 PM
Charter Member

I grew up listening to bluegrass music and I love it. Lots of great groups to listen to.

Todd
Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Default Anyone into Bluegrass?

Love older Bluegrass. For me it's Flatt and Scruggs, The Country Gentlemen, The Hillmen , Larry Sparks and Del McCoury. Not really into most of the newer stuff, seems too fast and not as soulful if that makes sense.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:54 PM

Love bluegrass, been playing it since I was 10 years old. I will be at IBMA performing the guitar workshop with Kenny Smith and Rebecca Frazier of Saturday at 2 PM. If you happen to be there look me up and say hi.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guit3090 View Post
Bill,
Who did you used to like? I love this kind of music and other types too.Bluegrass is fun.
Almost all the older bands.I got to see a few of them at Bluegrass Festivals,camping and playing music and seeing the performers was fun.

"In The Wind"

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
bluegrass guitar