The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2023, 07:58 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thank you ALL, for the very kind words. As some of you suspected, this is just my Martin OM-28V and Trance Audio Amulet M ... nothing new whatsoever. I just thought it might be a fun experiment to put it in your minds that you might be hearing an updated system. In the spirit of full transparency, I'm 99% sure I would have suspected a change too - if I was in your shoes & read this post the way it was written. Thanks so much for listening & taking the time to comment.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-21-2023, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Thank you ALL, for the very kind words. As some of you suspected, this is just my Martin OM-28V and Trance Audio Amulet M ... nothing new whatsoever. I just thought it might be a fun experiment to put it in your minds that you might be hearing an updated system. In the spirit of full transparency, I'm 99% sure I would have suspected a change too - if I was in your shoes & read this post the way it was written. Thanks so much for listening & taking the time to comment.
Ah Ah I knew it!
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-21-2023, 08:15 AM

LOL. Fooled by the narrative again. Congrats, Maury.
Old 10-21-2023, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Maury, when folks didn't really know for sure what system it is that you demonstrated in your video, we all agreed it sounds good, wonderful or great. Wouldn't you know it, it's the Trance Amulet M that you and I have been advocating for years. I still consider it to be the best-sounding single-source SBT-based system out there especially when installing the Amulets as I have done with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy (I'm the only one cavalier and crazy enough to have done this and I love the results). It's good for folks to also know, and as you've just demonstrated, that the Trance Amulet M systems can sound great when installing the Amulets with the Trance permanent tape per Trance installation instructions as you have done in your Martin OM-28V.

I've recently bought direct from Trance Audio, two Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom Systems and one Trance Amulet M-VT Plus System that I'm fixing to install in some guitars I have. My Huss & Dalton TD-R will get the Trance Amulet M-VT Plus System.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-21-2023 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 09:31 AM

Now that we have a basis for comparison, it would be interesting to hear a HiFi equipped Martin through the same amplification gear. I’m wondering if the difference would be glaringly obvious or pretty subtle.
Old 10-21-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Now that we have a basis for comparison, it would be interesting to hear a HiFi equipped Martin through the same amplification gear. I’m wondering if the difference would be glaringly obvious or pretty subtle.

I have to be honest, the HiFi is just a cheaper produced Trance knock off. Now, I appreciate the availability, price and ease of installation. But there’s no way the electronics are going to last as long as a Trance. It’s a disposable economy. People take cheap when it’s an option. Conversely, I don’t hear a lot of difference between Tance and HiFi. Wish I did because I support Garry Hull at Trance. But alas, I installed 3 HiFis so far and each sounded really “good.”
Old 10-21-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Maury, when folks didn't really know for sure what system it is that you demonstrated in your video, we all agreed it sounds good, wonderful or great. Wouldn't you know it, it's the Trance Amulet M that you and I have been advocating for years. I still consider it to be the best-sounding single-source SBT-based system out there especially when installing the Amulets as I have done with Henkel Loctite 6-Minute Epoxy (I'm the only one cavalier and crazy enough to have done this and I love the results). It's good for folks to also know, and as you've just demonstrated, that the Trance Amulet M systems can sound great when installing the Amulets with the Trance permanent tape per Trance installation instructions as you have done in your Martin OM-28V.

I've recently bought direct from Trance Audio, two Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom Systems and one Trance Amulet M-VT Plus System that I'm fixing to install in some guitars I have. My Huss & Dalton TD-R will get the Trance Amulet M-VT Plus System.
@SpruceTop What is this M-VT Plus system you speak of?
Old 10-21-2023, 11:36 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbird View Post
@SpruceTop What is this M-VT Plus system you speak of?
The Plus option gives a player the advantage of being able to internally adjust the Phase of the system when another pickup is added. Also, there is an internal Gain control that gives a player the option to balance the output of the system with their other guitars with pickup/preamp systems whether other Trance systems or other manufacturers' systems which is good when switching guitars in a show. Essentially, the Plus system is a battery-powered version of the Trance Amulet M-VT Phantom

Here's a link to the Trance page for the Trance Amulet M Phantom that lists the Plus option at the bottom of the page.
Adamas I 2087GT-8
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-21-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
I have to be honest, the HiFi is just a cheaper produced Trance knock off. Now, I appreciate the availability, price and ease of installation. But there’s no way the electronics are going to last as long as a Trance. It’s a disposable economy. People take cheap when it’s an option. Conversely, I don’t hear a lot of difference between Tance and HiFi. Wish I did because I support Garry Hull at Trance. But alas, I installed 3 HiFis so far and each sounded really “good.”
FWIW, I’ve only had issues with two Baggs products. When one of the Hex system mini-saddles went bad, Baggs support sent me three replacements, free of charge. When the tru mic in my Anthem SL system developed a rattle after years of heavy service, Baggs support replaced it free of charge. I haven’t had a problem with either product since.
Old 10-21-2023, 06:36 PM

Regarding the subject of the HiFi being an imitation of something, couldn’t we just as easily claim that the HiFi is a refinement of the iBeam system which I’ve been using in my old D28 for at least nine years.

https://youtu.be/0_b0h7EJZY0?si=y_lqCjQoDjPrilek
Old 10-21-2023, 09:53 PM

Default NEW pickup system?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Regarding the subject of the HiFi being an imitation of something, couldn’t we just as easily claim that the HiFi is a refinement of the iBeam system which I’ve been using in my old D28 for at least nine years.

https://youtu.be/0_b0h7EJZY0?si=y_lqCjQoDjPrilek

Love that old D-28! The HiFi is the same technology as the Trance. Suspending piezo materials in plastic 3D shapes has been around a while. I think FRAP was the first. But having owned both, this HiFi looks and sounds like the Trance. The iBeam was a different piezo electric film material. I think similar to BBand. I actually liked the iBeam in certain guitars like your D-28. But it was prone to feedback for some people.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:10 AM

Hi Dave,

Admittedly, the HiFi and the Trance Audio stuff is more user friendly than the iBeam. The users are less likely to need sophisticated EQ devices and the experience to use said devices effectively.
Old 10-22-2023, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Sounded great. My only comment is your recorder is also picking up some of the acoustic sound of your guitar and voice in the room. We're not hearing the plain pickup. (Nor do we hardly ever in real life, I suppose).
Old 10-22-2023, 08:22 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
Sounded great. My only comment is your recorder is also picking up some of the acoustic sound of your guitar and voice in the room. We're not hearing the plain pickup. (Nor do we hardly ever in real life, I suppose).
The loud volume of my Bose combined with the DJI wireless mic placement 5' in front of the bose, (and not at me) means you're hearing mostly Bose PA. But yes, scientifically, if you are hearing some acoustic unplugged bleed... it's just very little.
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 10-22-2023, 08:51 AM

Yeah, I think that's what threw me off a bit. There's a very slight amount of unplugged tone in the video making the Amulet sound even better than usual. I have yet to hear an Amulet sound this good. Not saying it doesn't sound good to begin with, it just had a mic-like quality to it.

It would be awesome if someone with the HiFi could do a similar live recording. I would love to hear it in that type of environment.

As for the HiFi being a cheap knockoff of the Amulet, I don't necessarily buy that. If that was the case, Lloyd would have done it years ago when he first heard the Amulet in Jackson Browne's guitar. What makes the HiFi more affordable is that it's mass produced by a large company. As much as Trance can market their electronics in the preamp; you also have to realize you are paying for a smaller company that can't output what Baggs does. Some may say this is a benefit as it's all in house, but if Trance used the same components, but had their systems made overseas, I bet you would see a significant reduction in cost. Just because the HiFi is more affordable doesn't mean the components are cheaper, they just have the means to get it produced overseas to keep costs down.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
baggs hifi, k&k trinity, maurysmusic, trance audio amulet