The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

View Poll Results: Most natural pickup sound
Yes, it captures the guitar's tone 5 45.45%
It sounds like any other Saddle pickup 0 0%
Sounds like a microphone 1 9.09%
would not be caught dead play through a pickup 5 45.45%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-15-2024, 09:55 AM

I think the guitar/pickup system sounds quite good, especially given that you are playing it through an "electric" guitar amp. You really should use a high quality acoustic guitar amp, which are designed to bring out a more natural acoustic tone/ambience. I think with a really good acoustic amp, your pickup system would very likely sound very very good.

You could even A/B a demo with the guitar/pickup system played through both a high quality acoustic, and electric, guitar amp. That would show how good the pickup system would work ideally amplified, but, how good it can sound even if or when a player had to use an electric amp.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 02-17-2024, 06:29 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gitfiddlemann View Post
Your points are well taken. Certainly in a live performance, it's not always feasible to be just sitting in front of a mic. It's probably most likely not, especially in non-classical music.
Personally, I liked the sound in this video. The guitarist's staccato like technique and tone, as well as the music, lends itself well to the sound. He's obviously quite good too, which helps a lot.

Yes, again, the Oliver and Simpson music/collaboration fits the overall tone of the guitar well. It makes a difference to the ears in my view. By that I mean it's much more acceptable than if they were playing something traditionally classical. I think that would/might be much harder to pull off.
I found the Walter Rodrigues video very interesting. I like this guy. I've seen him in other videos as well. He tries to be objective, and seems intent on making the facts clear in order to avoid coming across as a "paid" performer with an agenda. He has beautiful tone too, although I don't believe I've heard him play anything classical in his videos. More of a jazzer.
What perked my ears was his mention of Paul McGill and the saddle with individual string transducers. I remember a Paul McGill from years ago when I first started participating in guitar forums. It was called The 13th Fret, and many luthiers used to frequent it. The Paul McGill I recall was a very innovative fellow, with non-traditional designs, like his nylon string "Super Ace" model. That was a cool looker. It must be the same person?
Anyway, I have a thin body, semi-hollow guitar made by Kirk Sand which I use A LOT for classical. It has a very similar Barbera saddle pickup. I really like the sound of it. I also have an old Gibson Chet Atkins solid body nylon stringer with a piezo pickup. I used to plug it in directly into a Tascam unit to record because through an amp it was much too "quacky" sounding. I personally like this non-traditional approach for classical, although I have to admit it's not everyone's cup-a-tea
I am Paul,

Yes, the Super Ace was conceived to exploit the RMC technology and make high vol sound possible. I pursued developing my own amplification knowing RMC would not be an option in the future. I did investigate Barbera and found it has too much string cross over and to be too prone to feedback. It also tends to be a bit more brittle in the upper strings.

So, my guitar making has taken me into amplification.

The video I first posted was not my making. I think it demonstrates a full range of tonality. notice the difference in right hand position.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:35 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
I think the guitar/pickup system sounds quite good, especially given that you are playing it through an "electric" guitar amp. You really should use a high quality acoustic guitar amp, which are designed to bring out a more natural acoustic tone/ambience. I think with a really good acoustic amp, your pickup system would very likely sound very very good.

You could even A/B a demo with the guitar/pickup system played through both a high quality acoustic, and electric, guitar amp. That would show how good the pickup system would work ideally amplified, but, how good it can sound even if or when a player had to use an electric amp.

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

people send me videos. I have no control over the recordings. I find it nearly impossible to capture the full experience of the GoAA system. I think the electric guitar amp producing a quality sound demonstrates the signal quality from the guitar. but capturing the effect on the player is more difficult.
Old 02-17-2024, 06:52 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I spend about 70% of my playing time on my Loriente these days - I've grown to love the nylon sound.

It wasn't clear that the video in the first post wasn't from the sponsor/manufacturer.

It may be well worth your while as the vendor to do your own video and be specific about how it was done. Otherwise there is no baseline for evaluation of what the pickup is doing.

Just trying to help you sell your product to discerning customers like myself.
I suggest you watch Walter, he defines his gear. We have done videos, you can you can hear comparisons on our home page, goacousticaudio.com You can read the quotes of players there as well.

When we set out I felt it was best to provide application specific parts. Its best to avoid proving to the world you are better, that tends to create a response that says you are inadequate.

I have every confidence that GoAA provides an opportunity to reach a larger audience with transparency.

The question is what is controlling the outcome? the player or the amplification.
Old 02-17-2024, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conecaster View Post
I am Paul,

Yes, the Super Ace was conceived to exploit the RMC technology and make high vol sound possible. I pursued developing my own amplification knowing RMC would not be an option in the future. I did investigate Barbera and found it has too much string cross over and to be too prone to feedback. It also tends to be a bit more brittle in the upper strings.

So, my guitar making has taken me into amplification.

The video I first posted was not my making. I think it demonstrates a full range of tonality. notice the difference in right hand position.
Hi Paul,
It's nice to make your acquaintance. I went to your website, and it's really well detailed, and informative.
Now my interest is really perked up. I have a nylon string crossover/classical guitar (Cervantes) with an installed K&K classical pickup system. (With internal soundhole goose head type condenser mic and an external preamp module with pots.)
Based on my Barbera experience I think the saddle with individual transducers would be a better system with a warmer sound for this guitar. I'm wondering if a guitar like mine could be converted over, similar to Walter's in the video.
It looks like the associated preamp circuit (with 9V battery) is mounted inside the guitar, and presumably accessible (for battery exchange). The pot controls would have to be mounted on the side? such as in Walter's guitar? or are there other options (like through the soundhole).
I suppose I could/should have taken these questions directly to your site, but thought the discussion potentially interesting for other members here.
TIA for further info.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 02-17-2024, 08:15 PM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Hi Paul,
It's nice to make your acquaintance. I went to your website, and it's really well detailed, and informative.
Now my interest is really perked up. I have a nylon string crossover/classical guitar (Cervantes) with an installed K&K classical pickup system. (With internal soundhole goose head type condenser mic and an external preamp module with pots.)
Based on my Barbera experience I think the saddle with individual transducers would be a better system with a warmer sound for this guitar. I'm wondering if a guitar like mine could be converted over, similar to Walter's in the video.
It looks like the associated preamp circuit (with 9V battery) is mounted inside the guitar, and presumably accessible (for battery exchange). The pot controls would have to be mounted on the side? such as in Walter's guitar? or are there other options (like through the soundhole).
I suppose I could/should have taken these questions directly to your site, but thought the discussion potentially interesting for other members here.
TIA for further info.
Hi Andre,

Thank you for looking at my Site.

If you looked at the Goacousticaudio.com site you will see our products page. We have a variety of options.

Do you have a side mounted preamp, or was there originally a side mount?

Not listed on our site is the side mount replacements for the Fishman prefix fix pro and presys units.

I can recommend the best option once I know more about the installation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6839c712c9c37fd38fb478857f07b2cc443bbef8-14.jpg (36.8 KB, 23 views)
Old 02-18-2024, 10:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by conecaster View Post
Hi Andre,

Thank you for looking at my Site.

If you looked at the Goacousticaudio.com site you will see our products page. We have a variety of options.

Do you have a side mounted preamp, or was there originally a side mount?

Not listed on our site is the side mount replacements for the Fishman prefix fix pro and presys units.

I can recommend the best option once I know more about the installation.
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply and info.
I don't have a side mounted preamp. The system I have is the K&K Trinity for nylon string guitars (Transducers + condenser soundhole mic). So not this exact model, but same idea.

And wired like this:

The preamp is that little 9V battery powered external module, which connects to the endpin of the guitar with a stereo cable. From there you can use a regular 1/4" TR cable into the amp or PA.
So, I don't have anything built externally on the guitar. The only visible items are the goose neck mic in the soundhole and the endpin jack. Which is how I prefer it. (It gives me the option of more cleanly removing the amplification components should I need to in case I sell it.)
But I think the idea of a saddle transducer solution makes better senses to me tone wise, especially with the positive experience I've had with the Barbera, albeit in a different kind of guitar.

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 02-20-2024, 07:57 AM
Go Acoustic Audio

Quote:
Hi Paul,
Thanks for your reply and info.
I don't have a side mounted preamp. The system I have is the K&K Trinity for nylon string guitars (Transducers + condenser soundhole mic). So not this exact model, but same idea.

And wired like this:

The preamp is that little 9V battery powered external module, which connects to the endpin of the guitar with a stereo cable. From there you can use a regular 1/4" TR cable into the amp or PA.
So, I don't have anything built externally on the guitar. The only visible items are the goose neck mic in the soundhole and the endpin jack. Which is how I prefer it. (It gives me the option of more cleanly removing the amplification components should I need to in case I sell it.)
But I think the idea of a saddle transducer solution makes better senses to me tone wise, especially with the positive experience I've had with the Barbera, albeit in a different kind of guitar.
You can install our simple system with just vol. , mike vol attached to the sound hole.

[IMG]inside screen shot.jpg [/IMG]

The Pickup replaces the saddle.

[IMG]20220721_121829~2.jpg[/IMG]

The mike is on the preamp.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inside screen shot.jpg (46.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20220721_121829~2.jpg (35.3 KB, 15 views)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:16 AM
Charter Member

Hi Paul,
Thanks for posting those photos. That's more of what I had in mind.
I sent you an email. Thanks!

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical